The Grill and BBQ thread

I'm so itching to smoke a ribeye tomahawk steak. Kroger here has huge ones for 6.99 a pound, but it costs about $75 for 3. Might splurge soon. Drill a hole in the end of the bone to hang it. Some olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme rub down. Maybe just a tad of pecan or post oak for smoke.

At the meat counter tonight I saw Snake Rive Farms ribeyes for 34.00/lb. The butcher lady started to tell me about the American Wagu meat and how great it is... said very much like Japanese Kobe beef. Well, looking the the ribs they did have nice marbling, but nothing like what I saw in Japan.

Some restaurants in Japan will have a photo menu of 10 grades of Kobe beef... and priced accordingly. Expensive!

My first taste of Kobe beef was in the area of Japan near the city of Kobe. The steaks were served to us tepenyaki style... I was amazed. Never-never since either, have I had melt in my mouth steak. A few times each year I order Wagu beef from SRF and am very satisfied, but I can say this... it does not occupy the same orbit as Japanese Kobe.

Anyone have the real deal experience with Japanese Kobe... and what were your thoughts?

Got 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs on the smoker... will toss on a few sausages as mid smoke snacks.

At the meat counter tonight I saw Snake Rive Farms ribeyes for 34.00/lb. The butcher lady started to tell me about the American Wagu meat and how great it is... said very much like Japanese Kobe beef. Well, looking the the ribs they did have nice marbling, but nothing like what I saw in Japan.

Some restaurants in Japan will have a photo menu of 10 grades of Kobe beef... and priced accordingly. Expensive!

My first taste of Kobe beef was in the area of Japan near the city of Kobe. The steaks were served to us tepenyaki style... I was amazed. Never-never since either, have I had melt in my mouth steak. A few times each year I order Wagu beef from SRF and am very satisfied, but I can say this... it does not occupy the same orbit as Japanese Kobe.

Anyone have the real deal experience with Japanese Kobe... and what were your thoughts?

Olive Wagyu is very rare and off the charts expensive.

Another gadget. Ez peazy.
paper-towels-590.jpg

I've mastered smoking drumsticks. I can't believe how good they are. I've always looked at non-fried chicken as kind of boring, unless it's wings, in a sandwich, pasta, or Chinese food, but now I can't get enough of it. One thing I do not like is sometimes you will see drumsticks bleed after cooking. I don't care about it, but when I'm serving guests I want it to be more aesthetic than that. Any tips?

I've mastered smoking drumsticks. I can't believe how good they are. I've always looked at non-fried chicken as kind of boring, unless it's wings, in a sandwich, pasta, or Chinese food, but now I can't get enough of it. One thing I do not like is sometimes you will see drumsticks bleed after cooking. I don't care about it, but when I'm serving guests I want it to be more aesthetic than that. Any tips?

Try the Vortex method.

How to Use the Vortex Method

try smoking chicken thighs. They are the bomb. Dark meat is the best part of the chicken. Never trust someone who won't eat dark meat on the chicken. lol

Agree, and so much easier to get right in the smoker than a brisket. And plenty of flavor. Tri-tip hung in my barrell only takes about 1 1/2 hours to get slightly over medium.
what kind of barrell smoker do you have?

also I believe that is just the marrow and it's kind of misleading. Not sure you can do anything about it.

I've seen people smoke chicken drummies where they wrap just the bone part in aluminum foil but I have not looked into why they do this.

VN Store

Back