The Grill and BBQ thread

The Big Joe is the largest model Kamado Joe makes. If you want a big kamado style grill I recommend one of the following. The 1st link would be my choice.

32" Big Bad

2XL Big Green Egg

I wish I could afford the 32” big bad. They are super expensive though. The BGE has less of a cooking space than the Big Joe III. The new Big Joe has 864 sq in. of cooking space with the 3 layer system. Atlanta Grill company is doing a Fathers Day sale so they are $400 off right now.

On final tasting I still think I had too much salt. Gonna take a que from Meathead and make my own rub next weekend and only put it on just before smoking. Only going to Inject night before. Need to cook longer too, at least 14 hours next weekend on a full packer.

On final tasting I still think I had too much salt. Gonna take a que from Meathead and make my own rub next weekend and only put it on just before smoking. Only going to Inject night before. Need to cook longer too, at least 14 hours next weekend on a full packer.
What temp and poundage you gonna cook the whole one?

What temp and poundage you gonna cook the whole one?
Smallest I can get, probably 12-14 lbs. will cook at 225 for at least 14 hours, maybe longer. I’m struggling on the new smoker to control the salt and get the tenderness where I want it. The salt is my fault I’m getting carried away with overnight seasoning. Need to be patient on the cook time to get the tenderness up too. But I’ve got the moisture down pretty good. Haven’t cooked a dry piece of meat on it yet. My Traeger is really tight though. You don’t see it leaking any smoke.

Smallest I can get, probably 12-14 lbs. will cook at 225 for at least 14 hours, maybe longer. I’m struggling on the new smoker to control the salt and get the tenderness where I want it. The salt is my fault I’m getting carried away with overnight seasoning. Need to be patient on the cook time to get the tenderness up too. But I’ve got the moisture down pretty good. Haven’t cooked a dry piece of meat on it yet. My Traeger is really tight though. You don’t see it leaking any smoke.
You might be able to get it up to internal temp with a small one at that cook temp. I usually cook mine a little hotter on a packer around 250 sometimes hotter but I cook 17-18 lbs. I don’t trim or brine/season over night. I put my rub on then straight to the smoker.

You might be able to get it up to internal temp with a small one at that cook temp. I usually cook mine a little hotter on a packer around 250 sometimes hotter but I cook 17-18 lbs. I don’t trim or brine/season over night. I put my rub on then straight to the smoker.
Thanks for the info and yeah I’m positive I’m hitting it with too much salt too early. I’ve got my rub picked out and I’m leaving the salt out of it. I’ll hit the brisket separate with kosher salt a couple of hours before smoking the hit it with the rub just before going on the smoker.

How long do you smoke an 18 lb packer?

Thanks for the info and yeah I’m positive I’m hitting it with too much salt too early. I’ve got my rub picked out and I’m leaving the salt out of it. I’ll hit the brisket separate with kosher salt a couple of hours before smoking the hit it with the rub just before going on the smoker.

How long do you smoke an 18 lb packer?
I cook them every 2 weeks and they take between 14-18 hours. Sometimes they hang up depending on the meat. I cook till my point is 205 internal. Like I said I don’t trim either but cut a grid in the fat and smoke fat side up. I’m a wood smoker, never used a pellet grill but thought about trying one out.

I cook them every 2 weeks and they take between 14-18 hours. Sometimes they hang up depending on the meat. I cook till my point is 205 internal. Like I said I don’t trim either but cut a grid in the fat and smoke fat side up. I’m a wood smoker, never used a pellet grill but thought about trying one out.
Thanks for the pointers on the time. I’ve just got to be more patient on cook time. With the pellet smoker I can actually control to 225 pretty well before it was always at least 250 for me to be able to control it. The temp control on the pellet smokers is amazing. And other than setting the temp and leaving it alone I don’t have to do anything else to control it 😎

Also I’ve decided on minimal trimming this weekend. This flat was very lean. But with the packer I’m just gonna leave it all on.

Reactions: SLICKYINC
So here’s the rub I’ve zeroed in on. I’ll be using kosher salt also but that’s outside of the rub. This is for a brisket. Any opinions? I liked my Saltgrass 7 ok flavor wise but I want more control over the salt. This is basically the same ingredients in that spice but without salt and with brown sugar added

2 tblspn black pepper
2 tblspn garlic powder
2 tblspn brown sugar
2 tblspn paprika
2 tspn onion powder
2 tspn mustard
2 tspn thyme

Makes a little over 1/2 cup seasoning.

Thank you I’ll check this out. The new Big Joe III costs $1,999 without shipping so it’s definitely enticing to see something a lot cheaper. Have you ever cooked on one of these?

No, I haven't. But in watching their vids the ceramic is of the same thickness as the BGE. The warranties are similar. If I were to buy from a retailer, I'd probably give this a go.

So here’s the rub I’ve zeroed in on. I’ll be using kosher salt also but that’s outside of the rub. This is for a brisket. Any opinions? I liked my Saltgrass 7 ok flavor wise but I want more control over the salt. This is basically the same ingredients in that spice but without salt and with brown sugar added

2 tblspn black pepper
2 tblspn garlic powder
2 tblspn brown sugar
2 tblspn paprika
2 tspn onion powder
2 tspn mustard
2 tspn thyme

Makes a little over 1/2 cup seasoning.
Looks good. Personally I’d not use the brown sugar on beef, but that’s just me. Coriander and rosemary are good in a beef rub too.

No, I haven't. But in watching their vids the ceramic is of the same thickness as the BGE. The warranties are similar. If I were to buy from a retailer, I'd probably give this a go.
Thanks I did research on it and from what I’ve read they use the same Chinese manufacturer as pit boss, Louisiana grills and Vision. I was also a little disappointed to find that they say it is 24” but that is a bit misleading. Other companies use that number as grill gate diameter but Grilla uses it as exterior diameter. They have about 20” of grill gate space. I think I’m going to hold off a little and see if anything new comes out or just save for the new Bit Joe III. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Reactions: Boca Vol
Looks good. Personally I’d not use the brown sugar on beef, but that’s just me. Coriander and rosemary are good in a beef rub too.
I thought on brown sugar for the molasses. Since I’m fighting salty right now I figured the extra sweet would help cut it. I do see most recipes use just while/cane sugar so what you’re saying does seem more common.

Reactions: SLICKYINC
I thought on brown sugar for the molasses. Since I’m fighting salty right now I figured the extra sweet would help cut it. I do see most recipes use just while/cane sugar so what you’re saying does seem more common.
It’s probably good. I use brown sugar in my pork and chicken rubs.

Thanks I did research on it and from what I’ve read they use the same Chinese manufacturer as pit boss, Louisiana grills and Vision. I was also a little disappointed to find that they say it is 24” but that is a bit misleading. Other companies use that number as grill gate diameter but Grilla uses it as exterior diameter. They have about 20” of grill gate space. I think I’m going to hold off a little and see if anything new comes out or just save for the new Bit Joe III. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Nice info on your research. Good to know. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thank you I’ll check this out. The new Big Joe III costs $1,999 without shipping so it’s definitely enticing to see something a lot cheaper. Have you ever cooked on one of these?
I have a Big Joe and Joe Jr. It's a great grill. A few of my friends purchased one as well and they all love it. They do Costco roadshows where I think they discount them some, may find the date on the Costco closest to you and go check it out

I have a cook next weekend for a whole lot of people, how long and at what temp did those cook? I have cooked many butts but never this many at once.
I cook to temp so I don't really have a set time. Just however long it takes to reach at least 195 internal temp smoking at around 250 degrees. I rotate them every hour because it stays hotter on the fire box side. It was a hot day and my smoker got above 275 a time or two. These were right at 10 lbs a piece and took about 10 hours. Great way to feed a crowd!

Reactions: volfanjustin
I have a Big Joe and Joe Jr. It's a great grill. A few of my friends purchased one as well and they all love it. They do Costco roadshows where I think they discount them some, may find the date on the Costco closest to you and go check it out
Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t have a roadshow coming near me. Atlanta Grill Company is running a nice sale on them though which from what I read rivals or even beats the Roadshow. I just can’t afford the Big Joe III yet and don’t want to settle for something and regretting it.

Reactions: volfanjustin
Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t have a roadshow coming near me. Atlanta Grill Company is running a nice sale on them though which from what I read rivals or even beats the Roadshow. I just can’t afford the Big Joe III yet and don’t want to settle for something and regretting it.

Yes, that is a good deal from Atlanta Grill Company. I was contemplating getting a DoJoe and Joetisserie since they are on sale. Definitely going to get the SloRoller when it becomes available.

VN Store

Back