The Golf Thread

Reactions: volfannga
Golf Club of Georgia......Nice place

Last year we (by "we" I mean myself, my dad, my uncle and a high school friend of mine) played the Univ of GA golf course in Athens the day before we drove into Augusta for the Masters practice round. Last year it cost $100 each. We had a great time. We're going again this year but the green fees at the Univ golf course has risen from $100 to $308 (?) per person, so we're looking for another place to play. I'm open to suggestions lol.

Update: I've since been notified the $308 is per foursome, not per person. I'm going to contact the course tomorrow and find out. I know they raised their rates from $50 to $100 during Masters week, which is understandable (supply and demand), so I guess I need to do some investigating.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
Last year we (by "we" I mean myself, my dad, my uncle and a high school friend of mine) played the Univ of GA golf course in Athens the day before we drove into Augusta for the Masters practice round. Last year it cost $100 each. We had a great time. We're going again this year but the green fees at the Univ golf course has risen from $100 to $308 (?) per person, so we're looking for another place to play. I'm open to suggestions lol.

Update: I've since been notified the $308 is per foursome, not per person. I'm going to contact the course tomorrow and find out. I know they raised their rates from $50 to $100 during Masters week, which is understandable (supply and demand), so I guess I need to do some investigating.

45 miutes up the road and still only 2 hours from Augusta is Cateechee Golf Club in Hartwell, GA. $75 per person. One of the finest courses in the state. I'd suggest the short drive to play that course. You won't be dissappointed, and you can enjoy putting Crenshaw bentgrass, and 419 Bermuda fairways kept short. Like hitting off the living room carpet. Easily researchable via Google. Also available are four rental rooms on the upper floor of the club house. Each room is decorated after one of the Majors. And the restaurant is some very nice dining. Used to be my home course when it first opened and was cheaper till it grew in plush. At a slope rating of 142, it is also challenging, but playable. I got down to a 10.5 HC when I played there regular. My only disclaimer is that I have not played it in a really long time as I do not live there any longer. Last time I did play it, it was still kept in great condition. I assume that is still the norm as it regularly gets high rating for semi-private courses in the state.

Golf - Cateechee - Lake Hartwell's Most Beautiful Golf Course

Another excellent course in the Greater Athens area is down the road toward Athens in Elberton, GA. Arrowhead Pointe at Richard B Russell Stae Park. A flatter course that would rival Cateechee in play and condition. And you would not be disappointed shoosing this course instead. And half the price. Probably one of the nicest State Park courses I've played. And GA has some good ones. Too bad there are only 8 of them.
Golfing in Georgia State Parks | Department Of Natural Resources Division (gastateparks.org)

I think I did play that Athens course in a tournament one time. It was super nice then. It was an annul vendor sponsored tourney, so it only cost us gambling money.

Last edited:
45 miutes up the road and still only 2 hours from Augusta is Cateechee Golf Club in Hartwell, GA. $75 per person. One of the finest courses in the state. I'd suggest the short drive to play that course. You won't be dissappointed, and you can enjoy putting Crenshaw bentgrass, and 419 Bermuda fairways kept short. Like hitting off the living room carpet. Easily researchable via Google. Also available are four rental rooms on the upper floor of the club house. Each room is decorated after one of the Majors. And the restaurant is some very nice dining. Used to be my home course when it first opened and was cheaper till it grew in plush. At a slope rating of 142, it is also challenging, but playable. I got down to a 10.5 HC when I played there regular. My only disclaimer is that I have not played it in a really long time as I do not live there any longer. Last time I did play it, it was still kept in great condition. I assume that is still the norm as it regularly gets high rating for semi-private courses in the state.

Golf - Cateechee - Lake Hartwell's Most Beautiful Golf Course

Another excellent course in the Greater Athens area is down the road toward Athens in Elberton, GA. Arrowhead Pointe at Richard B Russell Stae Park. A flatter course that would rival Cateechee in play and condition. And you would not be disappointed shoosing this course instead. And half the price. Probably one of the nicest State Park courses I've played. And GA has some good ones. Too bad there are only 8 of them.
Golfing in Georgia State Parks | Department Of Natural Resources Division (gastateparks.org)

I think I did play that Athens course in a tournament one time. It was super nice then. It was an annul vendor sponsored tourney, so it only cost us gambling money.
Cateechee and Arrowhead are both awesome. You spend a lot of time at Arrowhead just being amazed that a course like that is built out in the absolute middle of nowhere. The water views on the back 9 are crazy.

Cateechee and Arrowhead are both awesome. You spend a lot of time at Arrowhead just being amazed that a course like that is built out in the absolute middle of nowhere. The water views on the back 9 are crazy.

Only played Arrowhead a few times as Cateechee was just right there. and when Cateechee first opened, they offered a players pass for $50/yr, which gave reduced green fees and access to the USGA system to record your scores for a registered handicap. There was a terminal in the club house and you just go enter your rounds each time. With that pass, I could play there cheaper than the scrub course on the other side of town. Oddly, I played no better at that course than I did Cateechee. Once the course finished growing in the pass disappeared. Like Arrowhead, Cateechee is in the middle of nowhere with great views. Arrowhead, imo, is as good, or close. Very plush for a state park course. And quite long. Just flatter topography. If you prefer to walk your round, Cateechee is not for you. It's not a mountain course, but they were very strict in not bulldozing the place flat. It's a registered bird sanctuary and all that. My personal course best there was an 81. It is a course that requires you to tame your hooks and slices.

Have you played Victoria Bryant, Little Ocmulgee, or Veterans Memorial. I know your job got you around the state a good bit. They overhauled Victoria Bryant and made a great 18 hole course out of it. Also was close to my house then. There are only 8 golf courses in the GA State Park system, and all are very fine courses, and maintained. Wish they had more.

Have you played Victoria Bryant, Little Ocmulgee, or Veterans Memorial. I know your job got you around the state a good bit. They overhauled Victoria Bryant and made a great 18 hole course out of it. Also was close to my house then. There are only 8 golf courses in the GA State Park system, and all are very fine courses, and maintained. Wish they had more.
I’ve played everywhere Lol. State park courses are usually always in good shape and fairly priced. Conditions at Veterans are a little sketchy at times. Hard Labor Creek is fun. Laura Walker down at the swamp is another great one.

I’ve played everywhere Lol. State park courses are usually always in good shape and fairly priced. Conditions at Veterans are a little sketchy at times. Hard Labor Creek is fun. Laura Walker down at the swamp is another great one.
There's a course at Fairfield Glades resort and retirement in Crossville, TN that was superb. Def a mountain plateau course but the entire course was bent grass back then, fairways & greens. It was awesome looking like a pro and going and picking up that long swath of divot grass and putting it back. They have several courses now, but I forget which one that was. It might have been the first one.

Innbruck up in Helen wasn't bad back in the day. Pretty nice last time I played it but that was loong ago. If you don't mind mountain courses.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
There's a course at Fairfield Glades resort and retirement in Crossville, TN that was superb. Def a mountain plateau course but the entire course was bent grass back then, fairways & greens. It was awesome looking like a pro and going and picking up that long swath of divot grass and putting it back. They have several courses now, but I forget which one that was. It might have been the first one.

Innbruck up in Helen wasn't bad back in the day. Pretty nice last time I played it but that was loong ago. If you don't mind mountain courses.
Might have been Stonehenge.

Might have been Stonehenge.
Ever dropped in at River Watch in Sparta, TN south of Cookeville? Pics look like it might be nicest in close range to us, but I just recently became aware it was even there. We have Southern Hills, but it was not manicured up like it should have been and is mostly junk now. I was dissapointed in that course. We also have the TnTech course that used to be the Country Club. It's a decent course, kept fairly well for what it is, and is generally enjoyable even though it's not a premium stop. THe only thing I miss about Hartwell is having Arrowhead, Cateechee, and Highland Walk all within 20 minutes of my door on county roads, meaning not far.

Yep. Stonehenge.
I'm trying to remember which one of them has zoysia fairways. The blades of grass are so thick and straight that you can literally feel the golf cart fishtail as you drive across the fairway.

Reactions: GVF
Ever dropped in at River Watch in Sparta, TN south of Cookeville? Pics look like it might be nicest in close range to us, but I just recently became aware it was even there. We have Southern Hills, but it was not manicured up like it should have been and is mostly junk now. I was dissapointed in that course. We also have the TnTech course that used to be the Country Club. It's a decent course, kept fairly well for what it is, and is generally enjoyable even though it's not a premium stop. THe only thing I miss about Hartwell is having Arrowhead, Cateechee, and Highland Walk all within 20 minutes of my door on county roads, meaning not far.
I've never really played between Nashville and Knoxville except for the the courses around Crossville.

@GAVol
Not sure what happened. That golf Thread just closed up to replies and everything. It's possible Stonehenge was zoyzia. Odd choice if it was. I assumed it was bent grass fairway. We had a zoyzia yard growing up. It made for great chipping practice. Ball always sat on top of that thick rug. No shoes requird on zoysia.

sorry to everyone else for temporariliy highjacking a post.

@GAVol
Not sure what happened. That golf Thread just closed up to replies and everything. It's possible Stonehenge was zoyzia. Odd choice if it was. I assumed it was bent grass fairway. We had a zoyzia yard growing up. It made for great chipping practice. Ball always sat on top of that thick rug. No shoes requird on zoysia.

sorry to everyone else for temporariliy highjacking a post.
Sorry about that. I accidentally merged with a thread that was closed and it locked out this thread too. The golf thread is back open. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry about that. I accidentally merged with a thread that was closed and it locked out this thread too. The golf thread is back open. Thanks for the heads up.

Ok. One more. Maybe. Played Osprey Cove down in St. Mary's? Was there in summer, so Bermuda greens bounced like concrete, but was very nice and well recommended course otherwise. Challenging, especially the yucca plants in the "woods." I think I spent more time watching for things that moved than playing golf that day. Went form there to St. Augustine and played a round or two at the local clourse. Can't remember name but it seems it was kind of on the main road north of the old forts. Nothing too fancy but OK.

Played Osprey Cove years ago in the GA State Junior tournament. I just barely remember it.

VN Store

Back