The Golf Thread

The perception of LIV would’ve so much better if players would follow Harold Varner’s lead.

Sounds like he’s had it rough playing golf for a living and all. It’s weird everyone else is labeled a traitor yet Varner is praised. Can’t seem to figure out why that is.

Sounds like he’s had it rough playing golf for a living and all. It’s weird everyone else is labeled a traitor yet Varner is praised. Can’t seem to figure out why that is.
Because he’s got an ounce of self awareness and a lot of the defectors don’t.

Because he’s got an ounce of self awareness and a lot of the defectors don’t.

Lol. That makes zero sense. Money was obviously a factor for all but it wasn’t the only factor. Some of you act like everyone should’ve said it was all about the money and nothing else like that would’ve made a difference on how people have pissed and moaned about it.

Lol. That makes zero sense. Money was obviously a factor for all but it wasn’t the only factor. Some of you act like everyone should’ve said it was all about the money and nothing else like that would’ve made a difference on how people have pissed and moaned about it.
Money is the ONLY factor. Greg Norman has been trying to pick this fight for 30 years.

Reactions: GBOx2 and peaygolf
Money is the ONLY factor. Greg Norman has been trying to pick this fight for 30 years.

His motivation is totally irrelevant to everyone else’s. Of course money was a factor but so was a lot off other things for the folks that decided to join.

I wonder if they’re going to get all 4 rounds in at the bmw pga. It’s going to be hilarious if they don’t get in all 72 holes.

The perception of LIV would’ve so much better if players would follow Harold Varner’s lead.

Maybe, but those who hate LIV would still hate LIV because it is a competitor to the PGA Tour. Both sides of this are disingenuous about the motivation/reasoning behind their arguments. The Tour hates LIV because it is a competitor to the Tour, and the LIV guys joined for money.

Guys like Rory, IMO, are just as disingenuous as guys like Phil. Rory might have more of a genuine personal connection with the Tour, its history, etc., than guys who joined LIV, but Rory hates LIV because it threatens to make what he has achieved (and will achieve in the future) on the Tour look less impressive if a bunch of good players continue to defect. It is why Tiger is so involved now as well; even though LIV didn't exist when he was in his prime, having the Tour where he achieved everything that he achieved disintegrate would look bad.

For the rest of Rory's career, I think he fears a Dr. J in the ABA-type of thing, although in reverse. Dr. J went from a league perceived to be inferior to one perceived to be superior, but Rory potentially is going from the superior league to one that isn't as superior as it used to be. He doesn't want a "Well, just how impressive was Rory's PGA Tour career once LIV came around?" debate.

Last edited:
Maybe, but those who hate LIV would still hate LIV because it is a competitor to the PGA Tour. Both sides of this are disingenuous about the motivation/reasoning behind their arguments. The Tour hates LIV because it is a competitor to the Tour, and the LIV guys joined for money.

Guys like Rory, IMO, are just as disingenuous as guys like Phil. Rory might have more of a genuine personal connection with the Tour, its history, etc., than guys who joined LIV, but Rory hates LIV because it threatens to make what he has achieved (and will achieve in the future) on the Tour look less impressive if a bunch of good players continue to defect. It is why Tiger is so involved now as well; even though LIV didn't exist when he was in his prime, having the Tour where he achieved everything that he achieved disintegrate would look bad.

For the rest of Rory's career, I think he fears a Dr. J in the ABA-type of thing, although in reverse. Dr. J went from a league perceived to be inferior to one perceived to be superior, but Rory potentially is going from the superior league to one that isn't as superior as it used to be. He doesn't want a "Well, just how impressive was Rory's PGA Tour career once LIV came around?" debate.
There is a group of us that don’t hate it. We just don’t find it entertaining enough to follow or watch. For me, except for a few exceptions, all the players are washed up or have never been good enough to win anything in the PGA Tour. There is no history and no drama. The team concept is silly and uninteresting. It reminds me of the original USFL. The first wave of owners had enough money to keep the league going for a few years. But the product was not interesting enough to generate the revenue to sustain it once the owners got tired of dumping their own money into it. Maybe the backers will stay in it forever, or maybe like the USFL owners they will lose interest. Or maybe it will grow in appeal and will bury the PGA over time. But right now I don’t see that.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBOx2 and Vol423
Great, but expected, start by the US today in the President's Cup. Surprised that Immelman didn't pair the Canadians together and Im/Kim as well. I assume that was done to pair strengths/weaknesses.

Rory wins again. Clearly the face of the PGA from all angles right now. He’s almost in a superhero mode.

lol. Yea one shot better than some dude named Kurt in a reduced field when the season is essentially over. I’m sure they pushed him hard to play this event.

lol. Yea one shot better than some dude named Kurt in a reduced field when the season is essentially over. I’m sure they pushed him hard to play this event.

Other entrants for clarity:

Jon Rahm
Collin Morikawa
Victor Hovland
Sam Burns
Tommy Fleetwood
Matt Fitzpatrick
Tyrell Hatton
Scottie Scheffler
Hideki Matsuyama
Etc etc etc

VN Store