The Golf Thread

That course was playing really tough this week. I’d hate to know what I’d shoot if the pros struggle to break par.

It was enjoyable watching them play a tough but fair course as opposed to the USGA killing a course and ruining a tournament to get the same score results.

@VolnJC - some of those greens have such undulations in them, you can stand over a putt and not be able to actually see the cup. That is why it is acceptable to leave the flag in as the putt is struck. Now, on the other hand, if the putt originates on the green and hits the flag, it is a penalty. The caddie must pull it before it gets to the cup.

Reactions: VolnJC
@VolnJC - some of those greens have such undulations in them, you can stand over a putt and not be able to actually see the cup. That is why it is acceptable to leave the flag in as the putt is struck. Now, on the other hand, if the putt originates on the green and hits the flag, it is a penalty. The caddie must pull it before it gets to the cup.
Thanks I was just wondering because the announcers seemed to make a big deal of DJs decision and iirc his caddy wasn't near the hole when he putted the long one to send it to the playoff

Reactions: Y9 Vol
Not anymore. They changed that rule last year. You can now putt with the flag in all you want. There's no longer a penalty for hitting the stick with a putt.

Played Trump National in LA yesterday. Absolutely beautiful but not a fun course. Come to think of it I've never played a Pete Dye course that I enjoyed. Here's a shot of 18.
20200831_155618.jpg

Reactions: JOEY'S ALL VOL !!!
Played Trump National in LA yesterday. Absolutely beautiful but not a fun course. Come to think of it I've never played a Pete Dye course that I enjoyed. Here's a shot of 18.
I feel the same way about a lot of Dye courses. Harbor Town is great, but places like TPC Sawgrass are just goofy in places.

I live 5 mins from Pete Dye River Course in SWVA. Brutal, no fun. 7700 yards
I'm not a great golfer but not terrible. Like any 10 handicap I have some wayward shots which Pete unnecessarily punishes IMO. Went out and shot at +4 today after not even breaking 100 at Trump National yesterday.

I'm not a great golfer but not terrible. Like any 10 handicap I have some wayward shots which Pete unnecessarily punishes IMO. Went out and shot at +4 today after not even breaking 100 at Trump National yesterday.
Dye courses are brutal, wrong misses aren't bogey they are usually doubles. Wide fairways but you must hit to appropriate spots. Even PB Dye same way

Dye courses are brutal, wrong misses aren't bogey they are usually doubles. Wide fairways but you must hit to appropriate spots. Even PB Dye same way

Played a couple PB Dye courses and he’s pretty much just like Pete. Blind trick tee shots where you can’t see landing areas. Deep bunkers, mounds, and hollowed areas. Impossible putts for certain pin positions.

Taken from #8 tee on the Knobbs nine at Graysburg Hills.
Ive seen the pics of that course, looks good. Never been. That being said, any of you ever up near Radford VA stop by Draper Valley golf club exit 89 on i-81. I am the assistant there, good course, great prices, brand new bar and grill with really good food.

Ive seen the pics of that course, looks good. Never been. That being said, any of you ever up near Radford VA stop by Draper Valley golf club exit 89 on i-81. I am the assistant there, good course, great prices, brand new bar and grill with really good food.

Played there a couple of years back and enjoyed it, may drop in again in the future if and when I am near the area.

I have hit a few over that green into the water before. In my mind, that will always be the 8th hole, period. It was #8 when the original 18 was built before they added the last 9 holes and made it a 27 hole course, years later.

Got a few in that pond myself. Hit a goose right in the ass there once totally by accident when I flushed a seven iron with the pin in the back and the wind just kept carrying it about 5 feet over land. Damnedest thing you ever saw, I pured it though.

Got a few in that pond myself. Hit a goose right in the ass there once totally by accident when I flushed a seven iron with the pin in the back and the wind just kept carrying it about 5 feet over land. Damnedest thing you ever saw, I pured it though.
I have hit more than one of high draw that rode the wind right into the drink.

VN Store

Back