The Golf Thread

Retaining a 7 shot lead going into Sunday after a day where when he shot even par makes one think this one is nearly in the books for Brooks. That's 4 of the last 8 majors. I think we know who the #1 is now and I'm not talking the goofy World Golf Rankings.

Reactions: peaygolf
Retaining a 7 shot lead going into Sunday after a day where when he shot even par makes one think this one is nearly in the books for Brooks. That's 4 of the last 8 majors. I think we know who the #1 is now and I'm not talking the goofy World Golf Rankings.
I don't think that the press cares much for him because he isn't a good interview. He just does his thing and wins. He is like Billy Casper in that regard. Casper won about 50 or so tournaments playing right in the heart of the careers of Palmer, Nicklaus and Player. He won 2 U.S. Opens and a Masters, and the Vardon Trophy 5 times for low stroke average for the season. He was a very underrated player and very low key.

I don't think that the press cares much for him because he isn't a good interview. He just does his thing and wins. He is like Billy Casper in that regard. Casper won about 50 or so tournaments playing right in the heart of the careers of Palmer, Nicklaus and Player. He won 2 U.S. Opens and a Masters, and the Vardon Trophy 5 times for low stroke average for the season. He was a very underrated player and very low key.
Totally agree. Koepka doesn't have the boy next door, "aw shucks" thing that Spieth does, isn't very interesting in interviews, and seemingly doesn't have anything else interesting about himself. DJ has rocks in his brain and is a bad interview too, but he also has a bit of a bad boy thing going on.

After reading some articles on golf.com I'd say you're spot on about the media mindset. Most articles were about how they could get Koepka to open up or how he needs to stop looking bored.

After reading some articles on golf.com I'd say you're spot on about the media mindset. Most articles were about how they could get Koepka to open up or how he needs to stop looking bored.
My wife enjoys watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette. Koepka reminds me of a lot of the guys on those shows. Really good looking, chiseled physique, they all have that certain "look," etc., but they have the charisma of a damp rag. They are all just kind of boring and vague/speak in generalities.

BTW, I'm not saying that to rip on Koepka - I don't care if he isn't interesting. I'll watch golf anyway. But that's just who he reminds me of.

My wife enjoys watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette. Koepka reminds me of a lot of the guys on those shows. Really good looking, chiseled physique, they all have that certain "look," etc., but they have the charisma of a damp rag. They are all just kind of boring and vague/speak in generalities.

BTW, I'm not saying that to rip on Koepka - I don't care if he isn't interesting. I'll watch golf anyway. But that's just who he reminds me of.

Yeah but that described Woods for a good part of his career.

Tiger also had a "I'm gonna rip your throat out" competitive streak that Koepka at least does not show, is multicultural, and had a period where he was even more dominant than Koepka was.

I get that, I was mostly comparing it to having the charisma of a damp rag.

VN Store

Back