The Golf Thread

Yeah I know that was very vague. I'll try and clarify. So I'm right-handed and with the driver my right hand would always come in slower than my left. This cause the club face to open and get the slice. So I moved my right hand towards my left hand. Looks like my right hand covers my left thumb. Another thing I did was put the club between my finger knuckles on my right hand. Like if only my right hand fingers held the club. I also focused more on keeping my left arm straight. This causes the shortening of my backswing.
If you are a right handed golfer, and turn your right hand more toward the left hand, you are weakening your grip, which makes it more likely for your clubface to be open.

One day I’m going to figure out how to use a driver.....

I swear I hate that club with my entire being. Slice, slice, push, try to correct, left hook.

Any tips would be wonderful.
Does your slice start to the left of target, and then slice, or start straight and slice, or go right to right? Does the hook start right and go left, straight and go left, or left to left?

Does your slice start to the left of target, and then slice, or start straight and slice, or go right to right? Does the hook start right and go left, straight and go left, or left to left?

Starts slightly right and ends way right. Almost more of a push I guess but the ball usually leaves my club looking like it’s going a little up the right side, then just hooks hard about mid-flight.

Hook is just a matter of closing my club face when I try to overcompensate for the slice. It’s hard and low and goes about 70 yards. Basically a duck-hook. Wouldn’t be a problem if I could just correct the slice.

Starts slightly right and ends way right. Almost more of a push I guess but the ball usually leaves my club looking like it’s going a little up the right side, then just hooks hard about mid-flight.

Hook is just a matter of closing my club face when I try to overcompensate for the slice. It’s hard and low and goes about 70 yards. Basically a duck-hook. Wouldn’t be a problem if I could just correct the slice.
Are you saying that all your shots start a bit to the right, and then either go farther right or then snap hook hard to the left? If so, it sounds like your path is slightly in to out through the ball, and your clubface position dictates where it ends up. Ball position can affect where your clubface is aiming, depending upon how early or late in the swing that you meet the ball.

An excessively in to out swing can be caused by too much hip slide, causing your club to shallow out and drop under the plane and then you have to flip the club to avoid hitting it dead right.

This action would usually mean that you have an easier time hitting off a tee than off the ground. Without seeing you swing, it's tough to know. Do you have trouble taking a divot? Does the divot go right of target line,, straight, or left?

Are you saying that all your shots start a bit to the right, and then either go farther right or then snap hook hard to the left? If so, it sounds like your path is slightly in to out through the ball, and your clubface position dictates where it ends up. Ball position can affect where your clubface is aiming, depending upon how early or late in the swing that you meet the ball.

An excessively in to out swing can be caused by too much hip slide, causing your club to shallow out and drop under the plane and then you have to flip the club to avoid hitting it dead right.

This action would usually mean that you have an easier time hitting off a tee than off the ground. Without seeing you swing, it's tough to know. Do you have trouble taking a divot? Does the divot go right of target line,, straight, or left?

I always thought when you slice it’s because your swing is outside to inside.

No I have no trouble with divots (when you say taking a divot I assume you mean leaving a divot). I strike my irons pretty well, although I have been pulling them lately which is driving me crazy.

I’m sorry I don’t have a video of me swinging a driver. I do have one of me swinging an iron, but I’m not sure how to post videos from my phone here.

No I have no trouble with divots (when you say taking a divot I assume you mean leaving a divot). I strike my irons pretty well, although I have been pulling them lately which is driving me crazy.

I’m sorry I don’t have a video of me swinging a driver. I do have one of me swinging an iron, but I’m not sure how to post videos from my phone here.
Okay. If you are pulling your iron shots, and you have no trouble taking a divot, you are not under the plane and swinging in to out. You are probably coming over the top. Does your divot point to the left of the target, and are they fairly deep?

The reason that I brought the possible under the plane stuff up first is that you said your shots started right. I'm guessing that they may not, but by the time you look up, they are already right.

Ball starts on the face. The curve comes from a difference in swing path and face. You said you hit a push slice above. Your face is right of the target but the path is left of that face tilting the spin axis of the ball to the right. If the start line of the ball is ok, change the path more inside out. Swing right of the face to draw it back to the fairway.

Ball starts on the face. The curve comes from a difference in swing path and face. You said you hit a push slice above. Your face is right of the target but the path is left of that face tilting the spin axis of the ball to the right. If the start line of the ball is ok, change the path more inside out. Swing right of the face to draw it back to the fairway.

Forgive me for sounding like such an amateur here, I understand exactly what you’re saying except “swing right of the face”, what does that mean?

Ernest T is correct in that the curvature is caused by the difference in your swing path and clubface position. If the face of the club at impact points right of the path that the club makes through the hitting zone, it will slice every time. If the clubface points left of the path, it will hook every time. If the clubface points straight down the path that the club takes, it will go straight every time. Ball flight doesn't lie. Think of putting spin on a ping pong ball.

Knowing where the ball starts and the direction that the divot goes helps us determine your swing path.

Forgive me for sounding like such an amateur here, I understand exactly what you’re saying except “swing right of the face”, what does that mean?
He means that the clubface must be closed to the path that the club takes through the hitting area to make it hook . Swinging right of where the face points is the same as the clubface looking left of the path. That is how you hook the ball. Swinging to the right makes it start in that direction, and the clubface being closed to that path makes it hook back to the target.

Swing right of face is just making sure the swing path is right of the face angle at impact. For a coveted driver draw on a straight fairway, the face needs to be "looking" down the right side of the fairway at impact. Your path of the swing needs to be right of that face angle at impact a few degrees to make the spin angle of the ball tilt left. Ball takes off down the right side of the fairway where the face was looking and draws left to center of fairway because the path was farther right of the face.

Heading out tomorrow for some mountain golf in Western NC. We will be playing Burlingame, Sequoyah National, and Laurel Ridge. Hoping for better weather, fairways, and good cards in the evening...

If you folks want to know how much easier golf is with today's equipment versus 50 years ago, check this out. I went to the PGA golf tournament at the Firestone CC South course in 1966. Nobody broke par of 280 for the 4 days. The weather was great, so that wasn't an issue. Al Geiberger shot even par and won by 4 shots. Back then , the course played almost 7,200 yards. It now plays about 7,400 I think. The trees have grown substantially, and have narrowed the landing areas off the tee.

So, the course is a bit tougher, and today 54 of 71 players shot even par or better. In 1966, one player of 144 shot even par, and nobody broke par. Today, there was a 62, two 63's and two 64's. Twenty players shot 66 or better.

Justin Thomas hit driver/wedge to a 481 yard par 4. To make the course play as long as it did back then, it would have to be 8,500 yards. The 450-465 par 4's back then took driver/3 or 4 iron.

Today's athletes are better overall, but to make a hole play driver/3 iron now for tour players, it would have to be 550-565 yards, 100 yards longer than it was back then. It is much easier to make a birdie with a wedge in your hand than with a 3 iron.

The equipment definitely matters and a lot of it is the golf ball itself.
Absolutely. I remember that most players hit fairway woods to the par 3 15th. It played about 230 yards back then. Nicklaus and Weiskopf hit long irons, as did a few others. The average drive then was about 250, and Nicklaus was about 25-30 yards ahead of the average.

I also remember seeing Weiskopf trying to hit over the net at Augusta at the end of the range that kept balls from going into Washington Road in the 1970's and early 80's. It was 270 yards away, and he hit a couple that flew into the bottom of the net, but most landed short of it. Weiskopf was one of the longest hitters of his day. They also didn't get as much roll then, due to the amount of backspin with both club and ball, and the lack of knowledge about optimizing launch angles.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back