The Golf Thread

Parking going to be a nightmare?

I think the last time we went we parked across the street down from the main entrance in a shopping center parking lot in front of a Dollar General or something like that. Anywhere on Washington aross from the bamboo privacy fence that surrounds Augusta shouldn't make for too long of a walk. I'm not sure if you can take a cell phone now or not but be sure to check or you'll have a long walk back to the car. I know cameras are allowed during practice rounds but I think cell phones are prohibited all days. If you have a bottle if water or Gatorade they'll just make you rip the label off.

I think the last time we went we parked across the street down from the main entrance in a shopping center parking lot in front of a Dollar General or something like that. Anywhere on Washington aross from the bamboo privacy fence that surrounds Augusta shouldn't make for too long of a walk. I'm not sure if you can take a cell phone now or not but be sure to check or you'll have a long walk back to the car. I know cameras are allowed during practice rounds but I think cell phones are prohibited all days. If you have a bottle if water or Gatorade they'll just make you rip the label off.

The booklet that came with the tickets stated that there were no cell phones or cameras allowed.

Just curious and wanted to get you guys to give me your thoughts on a few things. When the following happens how do you normally handle it?

1. You hit a ball that you think is in bounds off the tee. Come to find out its not. You can't go back to the tee and hit another drive because the course is crowded. What do you do?

2. You hit a ball off the tee that you know was in play. However without spotters and other golfers near your ball you can't find it anywhere. Same applies to a blind tee box. Seems like you hit a good ball maybe just off the fairway and you cant find it. Another Golfer could have grabbed it.Or maybe you drop take a penalty drive up and you spot it in the rough. What do you do?

3. Your ball is on a rock, in a bed of small rocks(pebbles maybe), basically somewhere that if you hit your ball you could damage your club. You may not even be in a bad spot on the course like in a trap but the trap has tiny rocks....its just not a well maintained course what do you do?

I guess i just want a sense on how most weekend golfers handle these situations. We don't have the luxury of spotters, greatly maintained courses, and free clubs like the Pros. However in keeping in the honor of the sport and not being a cheater I don't feel as we should just get to take free drops all over the course. There are so many rules of golf you would need a USGA official at all times to play by all of them but I just wanted to know how the other weekend golfers handled these situations. Thanks guys

Just curious and wanted to get you guys to give me your thoughts on a few things. When the following happens how do you normally handle it?

1. You hit a ball that you think is in bounds off the tee. Come to find out its not. You can't go back to the tee and hit another drive because the course is crowded. What do you do?

2. You hit a ball off the tee that you know was in play. However without spotters and other golfers near your ball you can't find it anywhere. Same applies to a blind tee box. Seems like you hit a good ball maybe just off the fairway and you cant find it. Another Golfer could have grabbed it.Or maybe you drop take a penalty drive up and you spot it in the rough. What do you do?

3. Your ball is on a rock, in a bed of small rocks(pebbles maybe), basically somewhere that if you hit your ball you could damage your club. You may not even be in a bad spot on the course like in a trap but the trap has tiny rocks....its just not a well maintained course what do you do?

I guess i just want a sense on how most weekend golfers handle these situations. We don't have the luxury of spotters, greatly maintained courses, and free clubs like the Pros. However in keeping in the honor of the sport and not being a cheater I don't feel as we should just get to take free drops all over the course. There are so many rules of golf you would need a USGA official at all times to play by all of them but I just wanted to know how the other weekend golfers handled these situations. Thanks guys

1. For the sake of pace of play just take a drop & a stroke like a hazard. However if you know off the tee it's out then re-tee & hit 3.

2. If you know that you hit a ball in play & it should be found just drop it in the vicinity of where you think it should be especially if the course is busy. Can't stand for some clown 2 holes over riding all over the place & come over & pick your ball up then act dumb if you ask if he got it.

3. If you're just playing with some buds then there's no need to hit out of rocks with a $700 set of irons.

Reactions: 1 person
1. For the sake of pace of play just take a drop & a stroke like a hazard. However if you know off the tee it's out then re-tee & hit 3.

2. If you know that you hit a ball in play & it should be found just drop it in the vicinity of where you think it should be especially if the course is busy. Can't stand for some clown 2 holes over riding all over the place & come over & pick your ball up then act dumb if you ask if he got it. 3. If you're just playing with some buds then there's no need to hit out of rocks with a $700 set of irons.

HAHA... this is so true. And if you catch them they are almost always hitting some crappy ball that they know looks nothing like yours....."oh i'm sorry i thought that was my ball".... really? The big Nike symbol on my ball looked so much like your off white top flite ball with a company logo on the side!

Last edited:
I hope Tiger can continue to play well through the Masters. I have tickets for Thursday's round and would love to see Tiger play well for a few holes. I'm not going to follow Tiger all day because this maybe the only time I ever get to go to the Master so I want to try and take as much in as possible.

Following Tiger is miserable; especially at Aigusta.

Pick a spot. Get a seat and wait for him somewhere. Then jump ahead of him and repeat. You'll end up much more impressed by the course than Tiger.

The satellite lots are greatly decreased now. The club bought an adjoining subdivision, leveled it and put in a ton of parking.

Do NOT take a cell phone or pocket knife. They run you through a metal detector on the way in.

Following Tiger is miserable; especially at Aigusta.

Pick a spot. Get a seat and wait for him somewhere. Then jump ahead of him and repeat. You'll end up much more impressed by the course than Tiger.

I figured following him would be bad. I do want to try and follow him for a hole or two just for the experience.

I figured following him would be bad. I do want to try and follow him for a hole or two just for the experience.

A good spot to watch tee shots IMO is 7 & 15. The tee shot on 18 is good too. Approach shots 14 & 17. 9 & 18 will be crowded with old folks as well as 16. Most everything else is at somewhat of a distance especially amen corner.

Deal caddy is good also. And not sure if group golfer is anywhere else but it's great.

Not sure if there's apps for those. The Groupon deals are more than 50% off when divided up. They sell as 2some & 4some packages that include cart & range balls. Under $20 for golf is allsome.

Should know tomorrow, if I'm going to practice rounds at Augusta on Monday and Tuesday...
If my friends father in law is out, I'm going

Last edited:
Best spot on the course IMO is the top left of the grandstand to the left of #15. You can see the approach on 15 and turn around and see all of 16.

The weirdest part of the course is the actual corner of Amen Corner at the 12th green and 13th tee. I can't think of anywhere else on tour where the closest fans are more than 150 yards from a green and a tee.

VN Store

Back