The Gardening Thread

Two and half rows of taters starting to come along!

Their is actually two half rows planted along side around a week and a half after the first two but doesn't look one of them is going to have anything come up.

20210531_194832.jpg

My dogwood trees got hit by a fungus (started with the dogwoods in the new mega-mansion subdivision behind me - they’ve done nothing). I pruned away the dead branches with my new pole saw attachment, today (some sign of borers in a few of these). I’ll use a hose attachment to spray them with copper fungicide in hopes of saving them.
copper fungicide? think I used that on a magnolia once.

My garden has been slow to take due to the inconsistent presence of warm weather. Hardly over a week in the 80's to be exact. Most everything is up now. Just planted the White Acre Peas and Butter Peas last few days, but did germinate them in wet paper towels. Corn has been up for several weeks now, but is not over shin high yet.

Reactions: VolNExile
My garden has been slow to take due to the inconsistent presence of warm weather. Hardly over a week in the 80's to be exact. Most everything is up now. Just planted the White Acre Peas and Butter Peas last few days, but did germinate them in wet paper towels. Corn has been up for several weeks now, but is not over shin high yet.
Yeah, some might consider us being late getting stuff in but I know several people who got burnt twice by those two late cold snaps and had to go back and replant a 3rd time. When your on the plateau it's best to wait until May 1st to really start.

Yesterday we finally got everything in the ground except for 12-15 tomatoes that aren't quite big enough for transplant.

Reactions: VolNExile
Yeah, some might consider us being late getting stuff in but I know several people who got burnt twice by those two late cold snaps and had to go back and replant a 3rd time. When your on the plateau it's best to wait until May 1st to really start.

Yesterday we finally got everything in the ground except for 12-15 tomatoes that aren't quite big enough for transplant.

I know some that are just now going in 1st of june.

Sounds like a big garden, but in your neck of the woods it's Save A Lot at the other end or down the mountain. Best to be stocked up.

434AAF08-0692-4A47-A353-C7398D5A3C9D.jpeg
I don’t know what these are. My wife dubs them “Florence lilies” after the former neighbor who gave them to us. The won’t survive winters in the ground, here on the Piedmont, so we keep them in pots and put them out each Spring, after the last freeze.

I have planted 4 different varieties of onions, Black seeded Simpson lettuce, Romaine lettuce, Kenebec Potatoes, Cabbage, Sugar Snap Peas, Carrots, and Golden Bantam Corn (it's somewhat cold tolerant) as my spring crops. Will plant tomatoes soon (will plant them from seed in hills this year instead of buying plants) as well as some other warmer weather crops.

I always be sure to raise plenty of heirloom crops so I can save the seeds, but also raise some hybrids. I have grown big beef tomatoes for years along with Parks Whoppers as my hybrid tomatoes, but will probably stick with the whoppers since they make better tomato juice. I always raise Romas and Rutgers as my heirlooms.

I love raising some of my own food.

Any other green thumbs in here???
Ever buy any seeds from Baker Seed Company?

View attachment 371752
I don’t know what these are. My wife dubs them “Florence lilies” after the former neighbor who gave them to us. The won’t survive winters in the ground, here on the Piedmont, so we keep them in pots and put them out each Spring, after the last freeze.
It’s a rain lily. The PictureThis app is great for taking photos of plants and finding out what they are.

Reactions: Tin Man
Ever buy any seeds from Baker Seed Company?

I have. Years ago. I have been pretty lucky on the seeds I have bought from everyone so far. The best place to buy heirloom seeds used to be heirloomseeds.com. They were a family ran business out of Pennsylvania and all my seeds were high quality and true. Unfortunately they seemed to have shut down. I think they had a death in the family that wrecked the business.

I know some that are just now going in 1st of june.

Generally speaking, if you get everything out by around Memorial Day or the first of June you will have a good, full yield. I have started experimenting with planting some crops later in the year such as California Wonder Green peppers. They are called California Wonders for a reason. They like the milder weather that, say, fall brings around here. I started them from seed the first of June last year and transplanted them to the garden the last of July so that the plants would peak in Octoberish. It worked beautifully. I had giant Peppers last fall.

I have. Years ago. I have been pretty lucky on the seeds I have bought from everyone so far. The best place to buy heirloom seeds used to be heirloomseeds.com. They were a family ran business out of Pennsylvania and all my seeds were high quality and true. Unfortunately they seemed to have shut down. I think they had a death in the family that wrecked the business.
Try www.rareseeds.com

Reactions: norrislakevol

I've been using Southern Exposure for 20-25 years. Interesting story about the open pollinated varieties and Monsanto lawsuit.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future

Cutworms have taken all but two on my giant zinnias and sunflowers. I’ve never had them take plants this late in the season. Given the caterpillars’ stage time, they will be gone by July. I’m planning to try delicata squash in that space.

Cutworms have taken all but two on my giant zinnias and sunflowers. I’ve never had them take plants this late in the season. Given the caterpillars’ stage time, they will be gone by July. I’m planning to try delicata squash in that space.
I've never had them, but knew someone who wrapped the base of plants with a couple of inches of foil. It worked
I used diatomaceous earth with success for snails. It's supposed go work for cuffs worms?

View attachment 371752
Zephyranthes grandiflora.

VN Store

Back