The Gardening Thread

Hummingbirds are visiting our feeders. They’re fussing over “ownership.” It’s quite a show. I haven’t been able to get a good picture. Little birds are too fast!
A pair of American goldfinches has claimed turf on my tiny patch of sunflowers and corn. Purple and house finches sometimes try to visit, but they’re quickly run off.

And you’re right, these little guys are fast!

Reactions: Tin Man
Has anyone seen a butterfly fight? I’ve seen two - one at the home of my wife’s old friend and another between two that landed on the head of a cycling pal, then got into a scrap over his noggin.

I’ve all three humming bird feeders up. Each is defended by a hummingbird. Interlopers are making it very interesting around my yard!

A pair of American goldfinches has claimed turf on my tiny patch of sunflowers and corn. Purple and house finches sometimes try to visit, but they’re quickly run off.

And you’re right, these little guys are fast!
I have filled a seed feeder with sunflower seeds. The scarlet finches mob it. When they’re not present in large numbers, a couple of gold finches are visiting.

Reactions: VolNExile
Why are you trapping carpenter bees? Just curious.
They chew nest holes in my porch woodwork. I trapped this year’s hatch and treated the targeted facings with almond oil. Adult carpenter bees visit my vegetable garden but have not made nest holes in my woodwork. No adults have enter my traps to date.

They chew nest holes in my porch woodwork. I trapped this year’s hatch and treated the targeted facings with almond oil. Adult carpenter bees visit my vegetable garden but have not made nest holes in my woodwork. No adults have enter my traps to date.
Yeah, once in a blue moon, they’ll drill some holes in our siding or trim, but fortunately we most of the time coexist pretty peacefully. 🐝

I put up hummingbird feeders in the Fall because the wee ones are on their way to northern South America and need to fuel up for the long flight across the big water. That is why they defend food sources.

In the Spring, when they’re heading to their breeding territories, they will peacefully share food sources.

I put up hummingbird feeders in the Fall because the wee ones are on their way to northern South America and need to fuel up for the long flight across the big water. That is why they defend food sources.

In the Spring, when they’re heading to their breeding territories, they will peacefully share food sources.
I haven't heard that before. Interesting.
Now, if I don't forget it before next year!

Resurrecting (kinda) this thread to state that I finally got my garlic planted a couple days ago. No pics since there is nothing to see yet. But crossing fingers that by early spring I’m seeing a ton of green stalks popping up out of the ground. Went ahead and planted every single clove I got no matter the size minus 2. Ended up being 105 garlic cloves planted lol.

Resurrecting (kinda) this thread to state that I finally got my garlic planted a couple days ago. No pics since there is nothing to see yet. But crossing fingers that by early spring I’m seeing a ton of green stalks popping up out of the ground. Went ahead and planted every single clove I got no matter the size minus 2. Ended up being 105 garlic cloves planted lol.
There'll be no vampires chez zhangliao04!

Reactions: zhangliao04
We have an early freeze coming here on the Georgia Piedmont. I harvested these this evening with the hope that the remaining green fruits survive.
B5C363FA-1E97-4720-8279-EA64365FCC5C.jpeg

We have an early freeze coming here on the Georgia Piedmont. I harvested these this evening with the hope that the remaining green fruits survive.
View attachment 503167
Yep. Haven't been in my garden in a minute. Went out the other day and cleared off the remaining novetly tomatoes and put up 3 more quarts. Picked about a dozen bell peppers. Need to go get the rest of the tobasco's and make one more pint of pepper vinegar. Got all the butternuts. Gonna jar them up. No big ones. All the ones I got (about 10) were hand size at best.

Reactions: Tin Man
But does she garden?

I ain't forgot about you Exie. Will be mailing you some bean seeds soon. I still have text with address.

Interesting possibility for the future though...My step-son just changed jobs from one seed company to another and they will be relocating to Tampa area. New company is wanting to expand it's base, and he has already been talking to them about our green beans and texted me to see if I have a picture of them. Funny thing is, I've been meaning to talk to him about same thing. So, who knows? Maybe they get a jar to taste test, and a few seeds to grow out, etc., etc. All with a pre-signed agreeemnt of course. If things pan out, our beans may be available on the market to buy seed and grow for all.

VN Store

Back