The Gardening Thread

Any recommendations for dwarf okra? - smaller pods for pickling, plus it will be grown in (good-sized) pot on the deck.

I don't want some 8' tall monster. I found a variety a few months ago, and now I can't remember what it was. waaah

Any recommendations for dwarf okra? - smaller pods for pickling, plus it will be grown in (good-sized) pot on the deck.

I don't want some 8' tall monster. I found a variety a few months ago, and now I can't remember what it was. waaah
My recommendation: get a bigger pot, trellis it and then grow cucamelon and Clematis on it.

Reactions: VolNExile
My recommendation: get a bigger pot, trellis it and then grow cucamelon and Clematis on it.
I would be perfectly happy to never see another okra in any form in my life, EXCEPT that my husband pointed out that pickled okras are often found in Bloody Marys. So now, I want to be able to pickle some okras!

--I did find a packet of Baby Bubbas today - OMG, something other than Clemson Spineless - so I think I'm set.

I would be perfectly happy to never see another okra in any form in my life, EXCEPT that my husband pointed out that pickled okras are often found in Bloody Marys. So now, I want to be able to pickle some okras!

--I did find a packet of Baby Bubbas today - OMG, something other than Clemson Spineless - so I think I'm set.
If it doesn't itch it won't taste good in Martinis.
Seriously, buy it at the farmers mkt., fresh mkt, tec.

I'm dripping with excitement.

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing some plants in there. Looks like you have a fun pallette to work with.

Keep us updated!

Thanks, Yea, it will be nice to get plants in the ground. Sort of have to wait till early to mid March to plant. We do occasionally get a late winter storm coming through that could be a problem.

There is a dwarf called Blondy that only grows to 3-4 feet. Pale green/yellow normal size pods. GrowWithUsSeeds sells them on Etsy. There is also a Baby Bubba that is a small plant, but normal size pods. And Jambalaya with a 5 foot plant and 3-4" pods.

My dad even liked boiled okra. My mom would fix it when we were kids. That ruined me on okra for a long time, but I LOVE fried okra, and okra in gumbos, etc. For the first time in my 56 years, I finally tried a pickled okra (the boiled okra kept me away from the pickled). My, what I have been missing. I am now going to can me some pickled okra this summer.

I have scattered success with clemson spineless. I have ordered several type okras. Will prob pick two. Okinawa Pink, Louisiana Gumbo ?, Star of David, and Heavy Hitter.

New Tip...I have never thought of it, but some of you may already do it. I was on a site ordering some seed, and a review had some pics of a bush bean they were reviewing. They have a small garden, and have concrete blocks bordering areas of the garden. they filled the blocks with soil and used them as containers also for the bush bean. That would seem like a plan for herbs too.

I look forward to reading this thread everyday. We had a garden the urban typ, small very little space in the side yard but Dad always made it work.
When i got married and move to the county, Sullivan, the family and I had a 14 row x 80 ft. Garden that I put out in an old hog lot, not occupied by 4 legged animals for years.
Besides my family, and raising kids, it was my joy.
I could dig a hole or make a row, plant in it or not , I could just dig all I wanted and loved it all. Even looked at it before daylight on my work days, I miss what y’all are doing, couldn’t wait for the seed catalog to come in the mail.
Good times.

Got some 🍋 growing now on one of the trees. I want to say about 2 weeks of growth? The other has quite a few open flowers that I’ve pollinated so we shall see how it turns out! Last time I had a batch of lemons growing they all just stopped around this size. turned yellowish brown after a week then fell off. Hopefully the trees are mature enough to handle it now.

D4DE6D9C-3CBF-423A-849F-AE885FAB96C0.jpeg57217782-DFF5-40FE-8DE6-AC8C11EF8E82.jpeg

Got some 🍋 growing now on one of the trees. I want to say about 2 weeks of growth? The other has quite a few open flowers that I’ve pollinated so we shall see how it turns out! Last time I had a batch of lemons growing they all just stopped around this size. turned yellowish brown after a week then fell off. Hopefully the trees are mature enough to handle it now.

View attachment 433546View attachment 433547
If fruit aborted it's probably due to lack of light

We/I planted all kinds of beans with different levels of success or growing particulars. I grew bush beans, pole beans, on poles or in the corn, string beans, stringless. And varieties are as many as wine bottles in Trader Joe’s.
i believe to go with the variety that suites you and ur families taste. And growing style.
As with all plants, it’s best suited if the full growing season is liked by the variety.
We grew a lot of beans for eating, canning and to give away, so I liked a bean that was stringless and the mature bean pods grew above the plant leaves. No feeling around deep into the leaves or missing beans or bending to reach the beans.
Poping beans was a bonding time with family or friends but dang it takes a lot of October beans to fill 1 quart of brown beans.
Beware of growing climbers in the corn, seems wind/rain or critters always took them to the ground right before picking.
Good luck

Back to the topic
Filling cinder block voids with dirt and bean seeds seems to be a waste maybe or not ? Beans take room and you want more than a few servings or not? The space in the blocks is a good idea but maybe for a plant like herbs, where you need less room but that’s still a lot of blocks. My back hurts just thinking about it.
Good luck

Back to the topic
Filling cinder block voids with dirt and bean seeds seems to be a waste maybe or not ? Beans take room and you want more than a few servings or not? The space in the blocks is a good idea but maybe for a plant like herbs, where you need less room but that’s still a lot of blocks. My back hurts just thinking about it.
Good luck

the blocks were already in place as raised bed borders in a small space garden. the block holes were filled to have extra space for bush beans. just thought it a neat idea. a person certainly would not set out a bunch of blocks just for that purpose.

Anyone here ever planted in hay bales?
R.e165043bacc1982e32bbed94a26dc6ef

Hay or straw?

I've seen pros and cons on both. I'd probably choose hay over straw personally. But, having ample land would likely never do an entire garden in it. maybe would try some low growing plants like herbs, bush beans, or something. Nothing tall like my pole beans, okra, or tomatoes, or corn. Then agian, I already have established herbs around the house beds. Seems interesting for raised beds.

Seems like it would be good for people that have a problem bending over like raised beds. Cheaper than buying compost, soil, etc. for the raised beds. It should also build up and improve the soil as it compost over time.
My summer vegetables are down to primarily tomatoes and peppers, and a few others in small quantities.. I could grow the peppers in bales, but I don't see a benefit to me. I doubt the bales grow many if any vegetables better than improved soil.

The last couple yrs. wife n I have bought and canned
"Case Knife" green beans. Strange name but this is a very good green bean. Try if you get a chance!!

Reactions: Go aeiou
The last couple yrs. wife n I have bought and canned
"Case Knife" green beans. Strange name but this is a very good green bean. Try if you get a chance!!
Those look like real green beans.
I'd rather have a jar of those canned than the fresh green beans I get at the grocery store. Thank God for the Donelson farmers market during the growing season.

Time to fire this thread back up. What’s the thoughts on cold East TN weather and when to plant?

I've been feeling that out the last few years. Prob why my gardens have been slack cpmared to back in GA. Up here on the cumberland plateau in north/middle TN, your definitely hitting late april to mid may to get everything in. I have not got used to that yet.

However, this year, I'm taking advantage of my brother's greenhouse down the road and have some seeds starting now. I've got 10 varieties of tomato, two pots of sweet pepper, and 4 different type of okra seeded. Everything else I will sow direct later. Haven't bothered even tilling yet. Still too wet.

I would imagine alot of East Tn is the same. In GA I'd have most everything in the ground already and picking tomatoes by mid-june. I don't harvest a whole lot here till august and september.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol

VN Store

Back