The Gardening Thread

If you really want an answer it's another word for a**hole.
As in "man we've got corn coming out the wazoo."

I thought you were kidding...apparently not.

Posted via VolNation Mobile

Gardening - An educational experience. And never a dull moment. :)

Picked my first "red" tomato of the year yesterday.(still a little yellowish orange but Nat couldn't wait) I've got about 50/60 on the vine that are about full grown just waiting on them to turn. I've pickled 2 jars of green tomatoes and fried several.

yeah, I didn't think you could answer that.

wa·zoo  /wɑˈzu/ Show Spelled[wah-zoo] Show IPA
–noun, plural -zoos. Slang .
1. the anus.
2. the buttocks.
—Idiom
3. up the wazoo, to an extreme degree or in great abundance: She's got problems up the wazoo. :eek:hmy:

Picked my first "red" tomato of the year yesterday.(still a little yellowish orange but Nat couldn't wait) I've got about 50/60 on the vine that are about full grown just waiting on them to turn. I've pickled 2 jars of green tomatoes and fried several.

Great Jhen!! We are having trouble with too much rain and the maters are splitting open. I, like VOLGAL, have okra spewing forth from my "wazoo". My banana trees have recovered from the harsh winter and are about 2 feet to six feet tall depending on the variety. RV has figs on her tree and nectarines as well. The winter killed a lot of our citrus trees. The peppers are the only thing that can withstand this July heat right now.

Here we go. Irrigation time

Notice the extremely dry looking sandy soil. Kinda like sawdust.

IRR11.jpg

irr14.jpg

So I cut a sheet of 5/8 plywood to fit the boat bottom and attached the pressure tank to it and put it in the boat. And I put the submergical well pump off the side of the boat. It is only about 1 foot deep in the water and it's rated to pump from a 300 feet deep well. The pump kicks on and off a lot, but since the pond is higher than some of the garden it is pumping water almost level.

IRR2.jpg

IRR6.jpg

I pulled the boat over near the watermelon patch....
IRR9.jpg

And commenced to let the water fly. Not a lot of volumn, just slow and steady.

IRR10.jpg

IRR8.jpg

IRR1.jpg

After about 5 hours, the ground was wet and the pond showed no ill effects.

Great Jhen!! We are having trouble with too much rain and the maters are splitting open. I, like VOLGAL, have okra spewing forth from my "wazoo". My banana trees have recovered from the harsh winter and are about 2 feet to six feet tall depending on the variety. RV has figs on her tree and nectarines as well. The winter killed a lot of our citrus trees. The peppers are the only thing that can withstand this July heat right now.

I would LOVE to have a banana tree. I probably eat more bananas than any other fruit(even pineapple...) I eat a banana just about every day before I go to the gym or run. We planted 2 blueberry trees/bushes and are thinking about another fruit tree for next year. Not sure if we will go with peach, plum, or cherry.

Here we go. Irrigation time

Notice the extremely dry looking sandy soil. Kinda like sawdust.

After about 5 hours, the ground was wet and the pond showed no ill effects.

That's awesome. Any fish in the pond?

Nice rig, MWR. Very nice... :good!:

Thanks. Made in USA.

That's awesome. Any fish in the pond?

Yep. Mostly Largemouth, Smallmouth, Bluegill, Catfish, Red Eye, Piranha, Great White, Orca, Deep Water Octopus, Alligators, Hammerhead, a few Blue Whales....

Ok, mostly Largemouth, Smallmouth, Bluegill, Catfish, Red Eye, Mud Turtles and Watersnakes.

I would LOVE to have a banana tree. I probably eat more bananas than any other fruit(even pineapple...) I eat a banana just about every day before I go to the gym or run. We planted 2 blueberry trees/bushes and are thinking about another fruit tree for next year. Not sure if we will go with peach, plum, or cherry.
Do your research because some fruit trees require a male and female in order to fruit. I know RV screwed up with her pear tree.:crazy:

My wife and I planted 4 rows of corn yesterday evening. Around here, this is about as late as you can plant it and it still have time to - as the old gardeners say - "make".

Thanks. Made in USA.

Yep. Mostly Largemouth, Smallmouth, Bluegill, Catfish, Red Eye, Piranha, Great White, Orca, Deep Water Octopus, Alligators, Hammerhead, a few Blue Whales....

Ok, mostly Largemouth, Smallmouth, Bluegill, Catfish, Red Eye, Mud Turtles and Watersnakes.

Any great whites? They're my favorite!!

Do your research because some fruit trees require a male and female in order to fruit. I know RV screwed up with her pear tree.:crazy:

:hi:Thanks!I knew that you sometimes need 2 but I didn't know that there were male and female. I'm leaning towards cherry or peach. one of my neighbors has a peach tree. They are really sweet but only about half the size of the ones you see in the store. He thinks that it is because he didn't prune it properly. That will be something I'll have to learn as well.

If you own a peach tree around here, the best thing to do is cut it down and burn it. The late frost seems to always get the peach blooms. And when it doesn't, you get peaches about the size of marbles. That is if the bugs don't get them first.

Or you could get a soil sample tested at your local ag extension office, amend the soil as recommended from the feedback (I actually had soil that was fine for peaches, it just recommended adding fertilizer on the third and fourth years), purchase reliable fruit tree stock, research the UT Extension publications that are available for free on the internet for information on growing peaches and suggested care schedules, spray the trees w/ pre-emergence oil to stop any early mold or insect attacks and delay the blooming, spray them frequently for insects during the spring and summer, and then gather in the fruits of your loving labor and let the peach juices run down your chin. My white peaches turned out as large and good as any in the store, and the yellow peaches, though small, are numerous and full of sweetness. The third tree is also full of peaches, but it is a late variety and they are still green. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I bought the southern peach collection from Stark Bros. They do all of the homework for you and send you peaches that will cross pollinate each other. I put them in the ground three years ago and this year is our first-fruits from them, but between the jam, frozen peaches and fresh peaches we have gotten so far we are approaching the break even point as far as expense. If they fruit again next year, we should move from the red into the black as far as the cost/benefit. And I have never had a sweeter peach than what has come off of these trees so far.

I have to give credit where credit is due, since my wife is at home a lot more than I am, she has been a trooper in doing most of the orchard and garden care. I help out where I can, especially come harvest time. :p

It all started because one day a few years back I bit into a hard, tasteless peach from the grocery store and thought to myself, if they can grow delicious peaches in Georgia, then why not in middle TN? I figured if nothing else, I will have some nice fruit wood to put into my smoker in a few years.

This makes my 3rd year I've had a garden. Although my family has always had one when I was younger.
I have a medium size plot:

Tomatoes
Squash
Cucumbers
Cayenne Peppers
Jalepeno Peppers
Green & Red Bell Peppers
Watermelon
Zucchini Squash

If you own a peach tree around here, the best thing to do is cut it down and burn it. The late frost seems to always get the peach blooms. And when it doesn't, you get peaches about the size of marbles. That is if the bugs don't get them first.

Or you could get a soil sample tested at your local ag extension office, amend the soil as recommended from the feedback (I actually had soil that was fine for peaches, it just recommended adding fertilizer on the third and fourth years), purchase reliable fruit tree stock, research the UT Extension publications that are available for free on the internet for information on growing peaches and suggested care schedules, spray the trees w/ pre-emergence oil to stop any early mold or insect attacks and delay the blooming, spray them frequently for insects during the spring and summer, and then gather in the fruits of your loving labor and let the peach juices run down your chin. My white peaches turned out as large and good as any in the store, and the yellow peaches, though small, are numerous and full of sweetness. The third tree is also full of peaches, but it is a late variety and they are still green. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I bought the southern peach collection from Stark Bros. They do all of the homework for you and send you peaches that will cross pollinate each other. I put them in the ground three years ago and this year is our first-fruits from them, but between the jam, frozen peaches and fresh peaches we have gotten so far we are approaching the break even point as far as expense. If they fruit again next year, we should move from the red into the black as far as the cost/benefit. And I have never had a sweeter peach than what has come off of these trees so far.

I have to give credit where credit is due, since my wife is at home a lot more than I am, she has been a trooper in doing most of the orchard and garden care. I help out where I can, especially come harvest time. :p

It all started because one day a few years back I bit into a hard, tasteless peach from the grocery store and thought to myself, if they can grow delicious peaches in Georgia, then why not in middle TN? I figured if nothing else, I will have some nice fruit wood to put into my smoker in a few years.

But here's the difference. Stinking Creek is in East Tennessee just about 20 miles south of the state line. Our weather is quite a bit cooler than the weather in Knoxville. And so I guess we have different weather than you do in Middle TN.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in growing some pecan trees.

Gardeners never say die.

Last edited:
This makes my 3rd year I've had a garden. Although my family has always had one when I was younger.
I have a medium size plot:

Tomatoes
Squash
Cucumbers
Cayenne Peppers
Jalepeno Peppers
Green & Red Bell Peppers
Watermelon
Zucchini Squash

Pictures or it didn't happen. :)

But here's the difference. Stinking Creek is in East Tennessee just about 20 miles south of the state line. Our weather is quite a bit cooler than the weather in Knoxville. And so I guess we have different weather than you do in Middle TN.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in growing some pecan trees.

Gardeners never say die.

Ah... thanks for the TN geography lesson, MWR. :hi:

I don't know why I though it was in northern middle TN. I must be thinking of Bucksnort or something. :dunno:

I planted a couple of pecan trees last year. They are pretty small and it will probably be about ten years before we see any nuts. The only thing I know offhand about their requirements is that they need some zinc in the soil, so I need to find some sort of zinc supplement at the co-op.

I also planted two apple trees and two cherry trees last fall. I can only hope they do as well as the peaches have so far. We picked a whole bucket full last night and the two trees that are ripening so far still have quite a few peaches on them.

OK, so I set up an irrigation system and watered my garden all week, because it was so dry.

And now today, this afternoon in particular, it began to rain. And it rained all evening. A slow, soaking rain.

If I'd known it would work like this, I'd watered my garden a lot earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR View Post
Thanks. Made in USA.

Post response:Any great whites? They're my favorite!!

Wow, just WOW! reading comprehension at it's worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR View Post
Thanks. Made in USA.

Post response:Any great whites? They're my favorite!!

Wow, just WOW! reading comprehension at it's worst.

Maybe not.

This is the gardening thread, not the "What different kinds of fish do you have in your pond" thread.

If it's not about gardening, then gardeners are not concerned with minor details. :eek:lol:

anyone have experience growing cayenne, or jalapenos? I live in an apartment so I don't have a lot of room, but I'd like to get a small little planter and grow some peppers....

anyone have experience growing cayenne, or jalapenos? I live in an apartment so I don't have a lot of room, but I'd like to get a small little planter and grow some peppers....

Lots of sun and the heat of the day. No pun intended. I don't even know that they will grow inside. Maybe someone who has actually yielded some peppers indoors will post.

Lots of sun and the heat of the day. No pun intended. I don't even know that they will grow inside. Maybe someone who has actually yielded some peppers indoors will post.

i forgot to mention the planter would be on my porch.... not sure how much direct sunlight it gets during the day? i'm never here...

VN Store

Back