The Gardening Thread

As already noted, cut worms is probably the problem. The garden department in your local Home Depot has great in store resources for identifying and resolving these types of problems. I would check with them. If you can take one of the brown, withered leaves in, it would help them identity exactly what it is. There are insect repelling plants that could be planted in the vicinity. They could recommend this if it is a possibility.

I think this is why my wife always plants marigolds around the outer perimeter of our vegetable garden. Well, actually, she planted them the first year. They reseed themselves and we have to weed some out so they don't take over.

We also brush out our dogs around the vegetable garden and leave their hair around, the scent of canine tends to discourage larger varmints. I was kind of skeptical about this last year, but it seems to have worked. We had no varmint damage, while our neighbors just down the road had a lot of rabbit and gopher damage.

Your squash got hit with cut worms - they invade the base of the plant and the mortality rate is about 100 percent. You will likely get them uear after year if you don't treat.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Another possibility is something my grandfather used to call "chink bugs", they are usually gray/brown odd looking bugs. When you see one you will generally see dozens more before long. They infest zuchini and squash as well as cucumbers and pumpkin.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will def check into it and prepare for next year. I might be able to save one plant this year. We'll see.

We bought a $30 rotating-head owl for our garden this year (last year we had squirrel/corn issues) and guess what? Nothing is afraid of it. Birds sit on the pole next to it...rabbits eat grass in it's shade. Ridiculous. So we took an aluminum pie pan and tied it with a string to a pole in the center of the garden and we haven't seen a creature in there since!!! We're getting out $30 back!!!

We got a late start to our garden this year, due to the fact that the clutch went out of the farm tractor when plowing time came around. So we are running a little behind schedule on where our garden should be this time of year.

This weekend, we got our tomatoes plowed and caged up. And we got the watermelons and cantaloupes plowed out. The vines are just now starting to run and now the coast is clear.

And since it has been so dry around here, I built a small irrigation system for my garden using water from my pond. It consists of a submergable well pump, a pressure tank, a boat and lots of water lines & sprinkler heads. And so far, it works. I may have some photos of the thing in operation to post later this week.

Well, we lost about 40-50 of our early green tomatoes to blossom end rot, blast it! It seemed to set in almost overnight. My Mrs. has sprayed for it now, so hopefully we will still get a decent crop. In retrospect, maybe we should begin spraying for it every year when the first tomatoes are just beginning to set, I seem to recall we had the same problem last year.

Our peach harvest is going well. They are small but they are so sweet! My wife made the first batch of peach jam yesterday, using a mix of white and yellow peaches. I got to sample a teaspoon of it, and it was delicious. Should go real well on a PB&J or on a buttered biscuit.

We are also getting some nice, large zucchinis.

2010+06+28+peaches.jpg
chicken+pockets+and+peach+crop+007.jpg

I had the same problem with my tomatoes last year and it looks like it has set in this year as well. What did your wife treat it with?

I also did some research on the "chink bugs" I mentioned earlier. Turns out another common name for them is stink bugs or squash beatles. I had a problem with them last year and will get some seven dust to treat them with.

It is something she picks up at our local farmer's co-op. The bottle shows the brand name Southern AG and it says "STOP blossom end rot on tomatoes". The main ingredients are calcium and chlorine.

Hope this helps. We always find that those guys down at our nearest farmer's co-op can usually advise you on just about any agricultural type problem.

It is something she picks up at our local farmer's co-op. The bottle shows the brand name Southern AG and it says "STOP blossom end rot on tomatoes". The main ingredients are calcium and chlorine.

Hope this helps. We always find that those guys down at our nearest farmer's co-op can usually advise you on just about any agricultural type problem.

That makes sense to me, I asked a guy last year and he told me the rot was caused by a lack of calcium in the soil and tomato itself.

We've got:

Corn
Lettuce
Snap Beans
Jalapenos
Tomatoes
Okra
Green Onions
Sweet Onions
Broccoli
Strawberries

Were up to our elbows in corn right now and will have okra out the wazoo soon!

You can send me extras if you want! :)

Well, we lost about 40-50 of our early green tomatoes to blossom end rot, blast it! It seemed to set in almost overnight. My Mrs. has sprayed for it now, so hopefully we will still get a decent crop. In retrospect, maybe we should begin spraying for it every year when the first tomatoes are just beginning to set, I seem to recall we had the same problem last year.

Our peach harvest is going well. They are small but they are so sweet! My wife made the first batch of peach jam yesterday, using a mix of white and yellow peaches. I got to sample a teaspoon of it, and it was delicious. Should go real well on a PB&J or on a buttered biscuit.

We are also getting some nice, large zucchinis.

2010+06+28+peaches.jpg
chicken+pockets+and+peach+crop+007.jpg

Those look yummy! I checked out the ones at the grocery store yesterday and was not appealed, should look into the farmers market today.

Windy! We picked 7 ears yesterday! They do look delicious!!! :)

I grilled some fresh corn yesterday:yes:. I wish it was from my garden.

We've got:

Corn
Lettuce
Snap Beans
Jalapenos
Tomatoes
Okra
Green Onions
Sweet Onions
Broccoli
Strawberries

Were up to our elbows in corn right now and will have okra out the wazoo soon!

What in the Hell is a Wazoo?

I grilled some fresh corn yesterday:yes:. I wish it was from my garden.

We planted sweet and yellow corn this year and so far no squirrels have been feasting.

Do you grill in-husk or out?

I do both. This time I left the husk on and just threw them on the grill. Sometimes I take the husk off and coat them with olive oil, garlic powder, salt , and pepper. Then wrap them in foil and keep turning them. I have also made a pan out of foil so they have a "bath" to cook in.

I had the same problem with my tomatoes last year and it looks like it has set in this year as well. What did your wife treat it with?

I also did some research on the "chink bugs" I mentioned earlier. Turns out another common name for them is stink bugs or squash beatles. I had a problem with them last year and will get some seven dust to treat them with.

*sevin :)

**Unless you have some new kind of bug busting dust. :yikes:

got a hush hush source in Columbia :shhh:

An old gardening story......

I think sevin dust only makes the bugs meaner.

I have actually mixed sevin dust and water in a sprayer and sprayed it on my 'taters to kill 'tater bugs. And I waited until a hot day to do it, so it would have more kick.

But when the sevin spray hit the 'tater bugs, they just rolled over on their backs, opened their mouths and guzzled down the spray. Then they gave an audible BURP, rolled over and started munching again.

Or so I told the manager of our local farmers Co-op. Instead of offering any suggestions, he laughed long and hard.

How many Volnation gardeners do we have?

I started my first official vegetable garden (more than a couple of plants) this past spring. It's just over 600 square feet. Next year it will at least double. I've had success with:
Tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Green Beans
Peas
Sweet Potatoes
Squash
Zucchini (sp?)

and failures with:
Spinach
Sweet Georgia Onions <-- Figures

I've been enjoying this tremendously. Growing up, we always had small kitchen gardens. As an avid tomato sandwich eater (my daily lunch during the week), and husband of a wife who makes killer japanese food, this has come in quite handy.

I started my first garden this year as well. I am growing:

Tomatoes
Squash
Zucchini
Green Beans
Jalepenos
Bell Pepper
Cucumber
Corn
Watermelon
Strawberries

I picked almost 30 tomatoes this weekend....ate them over the 4th. I love tomatoes!!!!

yeah, I didn't think you could answer that.

If you really want an answer it's another word for a**hole.
As in "man we've got corn coming out the wazoo."

I thought you were kidding...apparently not.

VN Store

Back