The future definition of a successful season

In 2024, the 12 team playoff system kicks in. I think this is going to marginalize even more bowl games than the current playoff system does, and we already see that a lot of teams kind of in our similar situation don't really perform much in the non playoff bowl games.

I put us in the same boat for purposes of this discussion in the sense that we are both looking up at UGA.

So in 5 to 10 years, what will be the definition of a successful team or program be?

I think second in the SECe will often get a team into the playoff. As a Gator fan, my own definition of a successful program would be getting into the playoff 3 times over every 7 year period, winning it all at least once every 15 years.

I think that is a reasonable standard to consider my program on the right path. Curious as to the VN definition for the Vols.

First and foremost, like what you bring to the board (especially your avatar), I really think making the playoffs on a regular basis with the new ways (that I highly dislike) will be successful, especially with the new schedule we in the SEC will have to deal with.

Winning a NC is always the goal, but I’m not sure that it will be necessary to be considered successful. I know with a 12 team play off in place, it will give more teams the opportunity, but on the other hand, the grueling schedule we will all be playing will play a significant role in your trip to the play offs.

If an SEC team survives the regular season and SEC Championship game and remains healthy, they will be the team to beat. But look at the other conferences, they are just not as competitive as the SEC. 3 teams are tops in playoff caliber teams in most other conferences. But them being able to come into the playoffs after playing a weak schedule and still be healthy will have an advantage over a banged up SEC team.

Sorry for the ramble, just pouring out some thoughts

With the resources we have, we should be competing for the SEC every year. Now that they are taking divisions away, I actually think that benefits the Vols bc all other former East teams will now have to reckon with Bama like we have. Winning the SEC and natty at least once every 10 years, competing yearly - finishing top 25, finishing top 12 for CFP at least once every 5 years.

Reactions: Noni
First and foremost, like what you bring to the board (especially your avatar), I really think making the playoffs on a regular basis with the new ways (that I highly dislike) will be successful, especially with the new schedule we in the SEC will have to deal with.

Winning a NC is always the goal, but I’m not sure that it will be necessary to be considered successful. I know with a 12 team play off in place, it will give more teams the opportunity, but on the other hand, the grueling schedule we will all be playing will play a significant role in your trip to the play offs.

If an SEC team survives the regular season and SEC Championship game and remains healthy, they will be the team to beat. But look at the other conferences, they are just not as competitive as the SEC. 3 teams are tops in playoff caliber teams in most other conferences. But them being able to come into the playoffs after playing a weak schedule and still be healthy will have an advantage over a banged up SEC team.

Sorry for the ramble, just pouring out some thoughts

The grueling schedule point is a good one.

The NFL allows teams midway to put players on IR, to make trades, etc., in part to address that. Can college football be far behind on something similar? A good example is you losing your QB - will you be allowed to go to the portal early to shore that up?

I think determining a "successful" program will take several years (maybe a decade or two). As we see it now winning the SEC with no divisions and with that a "watered down" one game championship, just winning the SEC would be very difficult. (likely as tough as the NC is now) This along with the "who and how " getting in the 12 team mix is determined (what if 3-4 SEC or other league teams are the best) is going to have a whole lot to do with how you determine "success" as a program. Another angle will be the "professional" direction the college sport is taking. No, to even guess as to what a successful program will be in the near future with the turmoil that the sport is experiencing, I think trying to define a "successful" program is a waste of time.

It’s going to be interesting to see the committee’s selection approach when it goes to 12 and Texas and Oklahoma enter the conference. In many years I think the SEC could have 6 or more of the best 12 teams in the country. This year we had 4 (5 until Ole Miss fell off), and that’s with Florida, Auburn and aTm being dumpster fires, which they won’t always be. Of course they all can’t be ranked in the top 12 because they all give each other losses.

It frustrates me to no end that the committee currently places so much emphasis on having only 1 loss. Automatically valuing an 11-1 team over a 10-2 team isn’t a sound approach when they don’t play even schedules (this isn’t me crying over Tennessee not getting in - I actually think Alabama should have gotten the 4th spot this year). I think it’s reasonable to speculate that 4 SEC teams this year would have had 1 or fewer losses if they’d played Ohio State’s schedule. I just want the best teams in. If that means 6 SEC teams get in, that’s what I want to see.

Last edited:
we've got a coach who will ALWAYS think we should win the next game! I agree with that, and the win will usually happen. I think we are in much better shape than most of us can even comprehend!

I think it would be a mistake to assume the playoff expansion is going to stop at 12.

IMO, the best way to support the future of the bowls is to make the portal open period after bowl season. It might even reduce the number of guys who go to the portal since many may get playing opportunities behind those who opt out for the draft.

In 2024, the 12 team playoff system kicks in. I think this is going to marginalize even more bowl games than the current playoff system does, and we already see that a lot of teams kind of in our similar situation don't really perform much in the non playoff bowl games.

I put us in the same boat for purposes of this discussion in the sense that we are both looking up at UGA.

So in 5 to 10 years, what will be the definition of a successful team or program be?

I think second in the SECe will often get a team into the playoff. As a Gator fan, my own definition of a successful program would be getting into the playoff 3 times over every 7 year period, winning it all at least once every 15 years.

I think that is a reasonable standard to consider my program on the right path. Curious as to the VN definition for the Vols.
Yeah, good try lumping us together. I get your point but let’s not gloss over the fact you played in mid-December and got decimated to finish under .500 while we’re in a top-10 match up and looking at 10 or 11 wins. It’s been a long time since the script has been this way between our teams so I don’t want that marginalized. Carry on.

This thing just keeps dragging for some reason. Bad internet I guess. Florida sucks. That’s all.

I believe that the definition of "successful" will also have to change for the Bamas of the world with a 12 team playoff.

That's a minimum of an extra fairly tough game each year to win the championship. An extra 2 games if you don't get a bye.

Just don't think you are going to see ANY program basically winning it all every other year for over a decade. Those extra games-against what are theoretically decent teams, are going to cause some great teams some problems.
When it comes to stopping these Bama-like runs of several titles in a decade, it’s not just the extra games but also NIL and the transfer portal that will stop it. Thank goodness this stuff is coming just in time to stop UGA. Yes UGA will likely get their back to back but they won’t go on a Bama-like run of NCs now. Without NIL and the portal it might have happened. Luckily we will never know.

Yeah, good try lumping us together. I get your point but let’s not gloss over the fact you played in mid-December and got decimated to finish under .500 while we’re in a top-10 match up and looking at 10 or 11 wins. It’s been a long time since the script has been this way between our teams so I don’t want that marginalized. Carry on.

That's one season. I am talking big picture. And I think that anyone being objective would acknowledge that Florida and Tennessee are in roughly the same position at least in terms of Georgia and playing 2nd fiddle to them, but usually 2nd best in the East.

Lot of unrealism in this thread. UT has won two NCs in the last hundred years, right ?
When UF was a damn dynasty under spurrier they won what ? One ? Right ?
Successful season is making the playoff.
There are 9 teams in our league that will have that expectation. Only 3/4 will actually make it.
UT. UF. UGA. Bama. LSU. AU. Texas. ATM. OU.
Some years maybe Arky and Ole Miss. once a blue moon SC and State.
It won’t mean finishing in the top 12, it will mean being in the top 9. with the conf champs getting an auto. That’s gonna be damn hard to do,
That typed, I would think 5 playoff appearances a decade would be very successful, and if you get more than that, you have become what UGA and Bama currently are, and what UF and UT were in the 1990s. I’d love to see it.

Reactions: vol_in_ga
Well Fulmer had 76% win rate
Saban has 80% (88% at Bama) and Smart has 84% so far

In 12 games, that equates to averaging 9-10 wins a year. And then if you look at UT from about 1980-2007 the trend seems to be 2-4 good/great seasons and then a less than stellar one.

I'd like to see us at least get back to where we've been so that would mean 9 wins a year on average, but that also means there would be some years with 11-12 wins and some with 7-8.

Obviously I want to be dominant and be at the level Bama has been or UGA is right now, but I also think we have to realize that's not a common thing

That's one season. I am talking big picture. And I think that anyone being objective would acknowledge that Florida and Tennessee are in roughly the same position at least in terms of Georgia and playing 2nd fiddle to them, but usually 2nd best in the East.

Nope. Truth is you gotta pass Kentucky and South Carolina before you can worry about challenging Georgia. We're only looking up at Georgia. Wanna look at big picture? Fine. Big picture is we have our coach, a system and are on the upswing. Your program has serious questions about your coach and the direction you're heading. We oughta know...we've been there...many times in recent yrs

Lot of unrealism in this thread. UT has won two NCs in the last hundred years, right ?
When UF was a damn dynasty under spurrier they won what ? One ? Right ?
Successful season is making the playoff.
There are 9 teams in our league that will have that expectation. Only 3/4 will actually make it.
UT. UF. UGA. Bama. LSU. AU. Texas. ATM. OU.
Some years maybe Arky and Ole Miss. once a blue moon SC and State.
It won’t mean finishing in the top 12, it will mean being in the top 9. with the conf champs getting an auto. That’s gonna be damn hard to do,
That typed, I would think 5 playoff appearances a decade would be very successful, and if you get more than that, you have become what UGA and Bama currently are, and what UF and UT were in the 1990s. I’d love to see it.
All true. Only thing I don’t like about this post is the measuring of success against the goals and expectations of other programs. We don’t want to be middle of the sec, even if that means perennial top 25. Playoffs, and more, every year or bust. That’s the goal. That’s the expectation. That would be successful in todays day and age where the winners do so every year and the losers are still good football teams relative to the entirety of FBS.

Well Fulmer had 76% win rate
Saban has 80% (88% at Bama) and Smart has 84% so far

In 12 games, that equates to averaging 9-10 wins a year. And then if you look at UT from about 1980-2007 the trend seems to be 2-4 good/great seasons and then a less than stellar one.

I'd like to see us at least get back to where we've been so that would mean 9 wins a year on average, but that also means there would be some years with 11-12 wins and some with 7-8.

Obviously I want to be dominant and be at the level Bama has been or UGA is right now, but I also think we have to realize that's not a common thing
We don’t want to be common! We want to win at will! Spend the money, and the time and effort, and chase greatness, not common success.

Nope. Truth is you gotta pass Kentucky and South Carolina before you can worry about challenging Georgia. We're only looking up at Georgia. Wanna look at big picture? Fine. Big picture is we have our coach, a system and are on the upswing. Your program has serious questions about your coach and the direction you're heading. We oughta know...we've been there...many times in recent yrs

Did not want to turn this into a comparison of the two but you cannot be serious if looking at this over a 5 year horizon.

This year you finished 2nd, we finished 4th.

2021 you finished 3rd, we finished 6th.

2020 we won the SEC East, you finished 5th.

2019 we were 2nd, you were 3rd.

2018 we finished tied for 2nd, you were 6th.

Trying to claim you have some sort of permanent status locked in as # 2 in the East is just wrong. And as I say I think with the portal and NIL its going to be harder and harder, unless you have the sustained success of a UGA, tOSU, or Alabama, to keep up that pace. Too easy for the South Carolinas, Miamis, and TCUs of the world to cobble together a competitive team for exactly one year.

I’m liking our big picture view vs yours right now too. Yes we’re both currently behind UGA, you’re just further behind and I love it.

If you a gator, why are you on this sight?

VN Store

Back