The future definition of a successful season

lawgator1

In 2024, the 12 team playoff system kicks in. I think this is going to marginalize even more bowl games than the current playoff system does, and we already see that a lot of teams kind of in our similar situation don't really perform much in the non playoff bowl games.

I put us in the same boat for purposes of this discussion in the sense that we are both looking up at UGA.

So in 5 to 10 years, what will be the definition of a successful team or program be?

I think second in the SECe will often get a team into the playoff. As a Gator fan, my own definition of a successful program would be getting into the playoff 3 times over every 7 year period, winning it all at least once every 15 years.

I think that is a reasonable standard to consider my program on the right path. Curious as to the VN definition for the Vols.

I hesitate to judge by seasons. I am looking for a successful program and that feels like a 70% win average and I feel that will meet most goals and reasonable expectations but that’s just me.

I hesitate to judge by seasons. I am looking for a successful program and that feels like a 70% win average and I feel that will meet most goals and reasonable expectations but that’s just me.

A 70 pct win rate is nice but I just don't think should be the goal. It all going to be measure by appearances and success in the playoffs.

If you win 8 or 9 games every season but don't make the playoffs on any regular basis I just would not consider that successful.

Reactions: savannahfan
A 70 pct win rate is nice but I just don't think should be the goal. It all going to be measure by appearances and success in the playoffs.

If you win 8 or 9 games every season but don't make the playoffs on any regular basis I just would not consider that successful.

Obviously depends on where you are, but at UF or UT I would have to agree. The goal would be competing for the SEC championship every season and 10 wins as a floor. From there the playoff is a crap shoot depending on matchups, and you hope to get on a good run every once in a while, but success is about winning conference championships and beating our main rivals.

Last edited:
In 2024, the 12 team playoff system kicks in. I think this is going to marginalize even more bowl games than the current playoff system does, and we already see that a lot of teams kind of in our similar situation don't really perform much in the non playoff bowl games.

I put us in the same boat for purposes of this discussion in the sense that we are both looking up at UGA.

So in 5 to 10 years, what will be the definition of a successful team or program be?

I think second in the SECe will often get a team into the playoff. As a Gator fan, my own definition of a successful program would be getting into the playoff 3 times over every 7 year period, winning it all at least once every 15 years.

I think that is a reasonable standard to consider my program on the right path. Curious as to the VN definition for the Vols.

Well, for the Vols ... let's see.

I don't really think I can measure success by that frankenstein of a corporate marketing vehicle, but if I must ... the idea of winning one title in 15 years as success is hard to contemplate when there's so many programs with multiple titles in recent years. Alabama, Clemson, Florida, possibly Georgia. Winning once is "great," but a successful program appears to be one that can win during a window of sustained excellence. You're truly successful if you can cash in multiple times during that window. LSU's win in 2019 was epic, but did it really change the impression of LSU's program? Not really. Not at all. It looks like more of a aberration than sustained success. A happy accident for them, but an accident all the same. (And look, I blame Nick Saban and his excellence and his damned ESPN hype machine for making college football like it is now, but, here we are all the same).

Which is why, to me, I'm going to not really factor the dumb dumb CFP in my estimate of success. To me, success is still pretty clear -10 wins or better on a consistent, yearly basis, and beating your rivals more than they beat you, is what success looks like. Winning SEC titles. Being the big dog in the best college football conference is where it's at. It's like Bowden at FSU during the 90s. 10-11 wins a year minimum. THAT is what success looks like over the long haul.

Now granted, I'm sure a bunch of people will be all "okay boomer" and make fun of that. But whatever. I don't want to participate in something so watered down that "once in 15 years" in a corporate-controlled stupid dog and pony show is the estimate of success. That's boring. That's almost the NFL, and I hate the NFL already. Nah, college is about eras and dynasties, legacies and heroes. Success comes from the eras in which you are the hunter, and not the hunted. (Which admittedly, the NFL used to be too, and then free agency and other changes more or less destroyed that). When you're in an era of dominance, you're successful. When you're the one no one wants to play, you're a big dog. At least to me.

Last edited:

I don't really think I can measure success by that frankenstein of a corporate marketing vehicle, but if I must ... the idea of winning one title in 15 years as success is hard to contemplate when there's so many programs with multiple titles in recent years. Alabama, Clemson, Florida, possibly Georgia. Winning once is "great," but a successful program appears to be one that can win during a window of sustained excellence. You're truly successful if you can cash in multiple times during that window. LSU's win in 2019 was epic, but did it really change the impression of LSU's program? Not really. Not at all. It looks like more of a aberration than sustained success. A happy accident for them, but an accident all the same. (And look, I blame Nick Saban and his excellence and his damned ESPN hype machine for making college football like it is now, but, here we are all the same).

Which is why, to me, I'm going to not really factor the dumb dumb CFP in my estimate of success. To me, success is still pretty clear -10 wins or better on a consistent, yearly basis, and beating your rivals more than they beat you, is what success looks like. Winning SEC titles. Being the big dog in the best college football conference is where it's at. It's like Bowden at FSU during the 90s. 10-11 wins a year minimum. THAT is what success looks like over the long haul.

Now granted, I'm sure a bunch of people will be all "okay boomer" and make fun of that. But whatever. I don't want to participate in something so watered down that "once in 15 years" in a corporate-controlled stupid dog and pony show is the estimate of success. That's boring. That's almost the NFL, and I hate the NFL already. Nah, college is about eras and dynasties, legacies and heroes. Success comes from the eras in which you are the hunter, and not the hunted. (Which admittedly, the NFL used to be too, and then free agency and other changes more or less destroyed that). When you're in an era of dominance, you're successful. When you're the one no one wants to play, you're a big dog. At least to me.

Thoughtful and I can see that point of view. I guess in part I am becoming increasingly jaded by the effects of NIL and the portal. Just feels so different to me now and you don't know what to look forward to next year. Continuity is vanishing.

Add to that what I think is an inevitable rush to the make-the-playoffs standard ... just very depressing to me overall.

In either 2024, or 2025, Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC and according to the commissioner, may do away with divisions, so this could further muddy the playoff waters...Will the top 3 or 4 make it to the playoffs??

Thoughtful and I can see that point of view. I guess in part I am becoming increasingly jaded by the effects of NIL and the portal. Just feels so different to me now and you don't know what to look forward to next year. Continuity is vanishing.

Add to that what I think is an inevitable rush to the make-the-playoffs standard ... just very depressing to me overall.

Oh I completely agree, it more or less sucks. I despise most of the changes. But I think, most of all, I resent how much everyone involved takes the fans and the collegiate spirit of the game for granted. But we live in a society of immediate gratification and casual engagement, and the schools failed to protect the sport. Worse, many of them fell over themselves to sell out.

I suggest you view it as I view it. Don't let it get you down. It's human nature to not value the things we have in hand. And for a while there, college football was damn near perfect. Whatever's left of that, I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I'm going to find moments I can appreciate while they're still there. But I'm also not going to invest in it like I once did.

In that spirit? If my team is consistently winning 10 or more games a year, then that's cool. That's success. Go Vols. I'll be glad to see it. And the rest can jog on.

Last edited:
Oh I completely agree, it more or less sucks. I despise most of the changes. But I think, most of all, I resent how much everyone involved takes the fans and the collegiate spirit of the game for granted. But we live in a society of immediate gratification and casual engagement, and the schools failed to protect the sport. Worse, many of them fell over themselves to sell out.

I suggest you view it as I view it. Don't let it get you down. It's human nature to not value the things we have in hand. And for a while there, college football was damn near perfect. Whatever's left of that, I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I'm going to find moments I can appreciate while they're still there. But I'm also not going to invest in it like I once did.

In that spirit? If my team is consistently winning 10 or more games a year, then that's cool. That's success. Go Vols. I'll be glad to see it. And the rest can jog on.

Every August I looked forward to picking up the magazines with the preseason predictions. Searching for the one that said UF had a chance. I'm sure it was the same for UT fans in my generation, or thereabouts.

That's all gone. I feel line the students now just aren't going to have nearly the same great experience we had.

In either 2024, or 2025, Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC and according to the commissioner, may do away with divisions, so this could further muddy the playoff waters...Will the top 3 or 4 make it to the playoffs??
A good point, and will certainly causes changes to how the think of the pecking order when divisions don’t exist. I’d expect the SEC to send 3 to CFP each year.

We all just survived the 2007-2021 seasons right? The occasional 2-3 a decade sec champ and once a decade a National champ we are blessed. I never want a Pruitt Jones or Dooley era again.

Reactions: BIGORANGEBUBBA
“Successful” is different for everyone.

Personally, I want for Tennessee: a national championship twice a decade. Sec championship 3 times a decade. Playoff appearance 6 times a decade. No .500 or below seasons. Consistent top 10 with a smattering of top 5 recruiting classes.

I don’t want them to be on the right path or satisfactory or a good or successful program. I want them to to be an unequivocal consensus highly successful team. That’s the bar no matter how far we are from it. Always has been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voltopia
“Successful” is different for everyone.

Personally, I want for Tennessee: a national championship twice a decade. Sec championship 3 times a decade. Playoff appearance 6 times a decade. No .500 or below seasons. Consistent top 10 with a smattering of top 5 recruiting classes.

I don’t want them to be satisfactory or a good or successful program. I want them to to be an unequivocal consensus highly successful team. That’s the bar no matter how far we are from it. Always has been.

6/10 in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY with the turnover of the portal, seems like a tall order. Even more so because now a team in the 13 to 20 slot last year can just buy a new team in the off season. The back and forth in the teams just outside the 5 or 6, all the easy down to around the 30 spot, will be fierce.

And expensive.

I believe that the definition of "successful" will also have to change for the Bamas of the world with a 12 team playoff.

That's a minimum of an extra fairly tough game each year to win the championship. An extra 2 games if you don't get a bye.

Just don't think you are going to see ANY program basically winning it all every other year for over a decade. Those extra games-against what are theoretically decent teams, are going to cause some great teams some problems.

Reactions: lawgator1

Well as a Col I would consider a season a success with an appearance in the playoff 3 -f T years and winning one every 10. I would consider a Florida season successful if they finished 6-6 and missed the playoffs every year.

You know LG I would have never thought the gators would be going through the struggles they have had lately. They were either really good or below average it seems. Anyways.

I think as the CFP continues to expand (and I believe it will go from 12 to 16 teams sooner rather than later) success will be closer to how its measured in basketball. Much like in basketball where a "good" season is about winning 20+ games and making the tournament, I believe minimal success in football will be consistently winning 10+ games and making the playoffs. Winning the conference will still be nice, but I'm afraid it's significance will continue to diminish over time. Look at FCS as an indicator. Does anyone REALLY care who wins the Southern Conference? Not really. It's all about the playoffs. That's where FBS is headed as well.

Reactions: lawgator1
Hard to define,”successful season”. If you have an experienced team/QB that won 10 or 11 games the previous year, then being a bye team in the playoffs would be a successful season.

If you have a young team and a new young QB, then 9 or maybe even 8 wins would be a successful season.

IMO for Tennessee a definition of successful program in a 10 year span with a 12 team playoff would be 8 times in playoffs 2 times a bye team 1 championship.

I think a good starting point is being a top 10 current program.... with that comes recruiting and a solid foundation. WIN games, kids will want to play here. It takes a solid program and a little luck to win a NC. The competition at the top is stiff. I don't believe making the playoffs 6/10 years is to much to ask. That's what premium programs will look like. I believe we are headed there but the SEC isn't the cake walk like the other P5 conferences

Reactions: Voltopia

Great post, and I completely agree with the bolded part, which is why I referred to the playoff as a crap shoot. I'd go back to the BCS if I was making the call, but that a different topic.

10+ wins, beating AL, FL, and GA, and competing annually for the SEC title. Do those things and we have achieved success - anything beyond that is gravy.

In the playoffs every year. Honorable mention: fielding an SEC-quality secondary every year.

Reactions: VolBallGuy
Success is and has always been beating Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.

Well if you go back far enough you could argue Florida gets replaced by Georgia Tech or Vanderbilt, but you need to get to the early 1900s for that to be a thing.

By 2025, Tennessee may not be playing Florida and/or Georgia every year.

You know LG I would have never thought the gators would be going through the struggles they have had lately. They were either really good or below average it seems. Anyways.

You underestimate just how bad recruiting fell off over the last few years. Optimistic on my end that the ship is being righted under Napier but only time will tell.

VN Store

Back