THE FRIENDLY SKIES

I saw this on twitter. My first question though is why the worker put his hands on the other guy in the first place.
Yes, not sure what started the confrontation, but he definitely escalated it. It does appear that the worker was hit first and retaliated.
He made a bad decision and got a few more punches to the face for it.

Dude was a former NFL Safety

Employee is not a fighter

Currently sitting waiting to exit a plane at JFK in NewYork. So far the trip has been “event” free.

If I can just get through baggage claim…🤞
I say this and hope it doesn't bite me in the ass, but I don't really get all the hate flying gets. Yes you have your idiots sometimes but 95% it's event free. It's just like any other public situation.

I say this and hope it doesn't bite me in the ass, but I don't really get all the hate flying gets. Yes you have your idiots sometimes but 95% it's event free. It's just like any other public situation.
It gets hate because when it sucks, it sucks.

At least in my experience (I used to fly a lot for work pre-COVID, now fairly rarely) most of the unfortunate stuff that happens is weather-related. I try to fly Delta whenever I fly because I've found by far they are the best of a bad lot. When I've flown them, 95% of the delays, cancellations, getting stuck places, etc., is weather-related. They've never lost a bag that either me or the person I'm traveling with has checked. Nothing stupid or crazy has happened at the gate or on the plane. About half the time when I've ordered an alcoholic drink on the plane, they've just given it to me for free. Stuff that is within their control, they generally do a good job at. It's really just been the weather that has screwed me.

It’s way more than 95%

I’ve noticed that there is something about news I see on yahoo that about every day a passenger insanity or how-airline-treated-me narcissist story makes the headlines. I don’t really understand why they do that; it’s not really interesting.

It gets hate because when it sucks, it sucks.

At least in my experience (I used to fly a lot for work pre-COVID, now fairly rarely) most of the unfortunate stuff that happens is weather-related. I try to fly Delta whenever I fly because I've found by far they are the best of a bad lot. When I've flown them, 95% of the delays, cancellations, getting stuck places, etc., is weather-related. They've never lost a bag that either me or the person I'm traveling with has checked. Nothing stupid or crazy has happened at the gate or on the plane. About half the time when I've ordered an alcoholic drink on the plane, they've just given it to me for free. Stuff that is within their control, they generally do a good job at. It's really just been the weather that has screwed me.
That's fair. For me in particular I don't get mad about things I can't control. Ex the weather.
The last time I flew we got stuck at the airport for 2 ish hours before we could take off because the plane was delayed in Florida and couldn't take off from there. I was fine with that delay, but then after we landed we had to sit on the tarmac for 45 minutes because they had sent all the gate crews but one home and they had to de board every plane they had. That just seemed like poor planning on their part knowing all the delays they had and it was flying into one of their bigger bases in Sanford. Even then it wasn't a terrible experience just annoying because we didn't land until after midnight and didn't even de plane until after 1 am when we were supposed to land a little after 11.

Reactions: 05_never_again
It’s way more than 95%

I’ve noticed that there is something about news I see on yahoo that about every day a passenger insanity or how-airline-treated-me narcissist story makes the headlines. I don’t really understand why they do that; it’s not really interesting.
Because people want their 15 minutes of fame and money. Or all those people hitting FA or other airline staff over masks, whether you agree with them or not doesn't matter if those are the rules and you choose to fly then you have to follow their rules.

That's fair. For me in particular I don't get mad about things I can't control. Ex the weather.
The last time I flew we got stuck at the airport for 2 ish hours before we could take off because the plane was delayed in Florida and couldn't take off from there. I was fine with that delay, but then after we landed we had to sit on the tarmac for 45 minutes because they had sent all the gate crews but one home and they had to de board every plane they had. That just seemed like poor planning on their part knowing all the delays they had and it was flying into one of their bigger bases in Sanford. Even then it wasn't a terrible experience just annoying because we didn't land until after midnight and didn't even de plane until after 1 am when we were supposed to land a little after 11.
That can't be said for most people. You know a lot of these videos that go viral of people having meltdowns at the gate? It is usually because of weather at the aircraft's origin and the weather is fine where the person is melting down. They don't understand the concept of the plane they are getting on having other flights that day and the plane is coming to them from somewhere else. They look out the window, see a sunny sky, and think "Don't give me that crap about weather - the weather is fine!"

I think there is something about the perceived loss of control with air travel that makes people more predisposed to act irrationally when things don't go their way. When you travel by car, you take your bag and put in in your car. You control the route/speed you drive/when you stop. You aren't cooped up in an aluminum tube with a bunch of strangers. You don't have to worry about missing the flight or your layover not being long enough, then having to go through the hassle of rebooking. Outside of some kind of extreme weather situation or car trouble, you don't run the risk of getting stranded somewhere unfamiliar. Lots of people (like myself) have nerves about flying. There is a lot more that is outside of your control when flying and it can be more stressful than driving, and when something goes wrong there is a tendency to lash out at someone else.

I typically fly a few times a year and like most everyone else I try to go with the flow and make the best of it. When the airline employees are unprofessional and downright hateful/intentionally unhelpful I do get a bit torqued.

The only time I’ve ever been ready to hop the counter and go at it was with an American flight from De Moines Iowa back home to TN for me and one of my sons who was 13 so 17 years ago. We needed to check in due to no internet access where we stayed. Arrived an hour & 15 minutes before our flight and the Oklahoma State softball team was in line to check all their bat bags and there was a single lady working the counter. She was taking forever and by the time we got to her it was 42 minutes until takeoff and they had given our seats away. Asked her when the next flight was - “tomorrow at the same time”. Asked her what we were supposed to do - “find a hotel I guess”. Steam was coming out my ears. Went through security and checked at the gate where the person was super helpful. Found me a flight to Nashville where fortunately some other folks we knew had driven to Nashville and were on the flight and gave us a ride to Chattanooga. I’ll only fly American as a last resort to this day.

I typically fly a few times a year and like most everyone else I try to go with the flow and make the best of it. When the airline employees are unprofessional and downright hateful/intentionally unhelpful I do get a bit torqued.

The only time I’ve ever been ready to hop the counter and go at it was with an American flight from De Moines Iowa back home to TN for me and one of my sons who was 13 so 17 years ago. We needed to check in due to no internet access where we stayed. Arrived an hour & 15 minutes before our flight and the Oklahoma State softball team was in line to check all their bat bags and there was a single lady working the counter. She was taking forever and by the time we got to her it was 42 minutes until takeoff and they had given our seats away. Asked her when the next flight was - “tomorrow at the same time”. Asked her what we were supposed to do - “find a hotel I guess”. Steam was coming out my ears. Went through security and checked at the gate where the person was super helpful. Found me a flight to Nashville where fortunately some other folks we knew had driven to Nashville and were on the flight and gave us a ride to Chattanooga. I’ll only fly American as a last resort to this day.
I have had multiple American flights cancelled for inexplicable reasons and only fly them as a last resort as well.

My "best" : was flying from Chattanooga to Minneapolis, going through Chicago. Make it from Chattanooga to Chicago without incident. In Chicago, 5 minutes before the plane is to begin boarding, the flight board changed the status to "cancelled" without any explanation. I had my suspicions about a delay or cancellation because the plane wasn't at the gate right before boarding, but I was also watching the inbound flight on FlightAware and could see that it was close to ORD, so was still expecting to make it out of there. They must have ended up giving that plane to another flight and cancelled our flight. Anyway, there is no agent at the gate, so I call American about trying to get on another flight later that night. The last flight to MSP that day, it turns out, has also been cancelled. The reason? Both planes had "aircraft damage." Ended up flying from Chicago back to Charlotte, then from Charlotte to MSP, because I absolutely had to be in Minneapolis the next morning for some meetings. Got there at 2 or 3:00 AM and was a zombie the next day.

Also, when flying from Chattanooga to Charlotte, they often (almost to the point where it is routine) cancel or have big delays on huge blocks of flights to/from those cities over the course of the day. Had meetings in Charlotte. Booked American thinking "they can't screw up a direct 45 minute flight." Wake up that morning, head to the airport. While headed there, I find out that not only my 8 AM flight has been delayed until 5-6:00 that evening, but they have also pushed back or cancelled every other flight from Chattanooga to Charlotte that day. No explanation - it could not have been weather, because the weather was great in both cities and the plane I was supposed to be on was on the ground in Charlotte. Ended up just driving to Charlotte.

I think a big part of American's problem is that even in a pre-COVID world they had lots of staffing issues. They either have lots of staff not show up for work or they are really bad at getting staff from Point A to Point B. It's really the only explanation for those types of cancellations.

I have had multiple American flights cancelled for inexplicable reasons and only fly them as a last resort as well.

My "best" : was flying from Chattanooga to Minneapolis, going through Chicago. Make it from Chattanooga to Chicago without incident. In Chicago, 5 minutes before the plane is to begin boarding, the flight board changed the status to "cancelled" without any explanation. I had my suspicions about a delay or cancellation because the plane wasn't at the gate right before boarding, but I was also watching the inbound flight on FlightAware and could see that it was close to ORD, so was still expecting to make it out of there. They must have ended up giving that plane to another flight and cancelled our flight. Anyway, there is no agent at the gate, so I call American about trying to get on another flight later that night. The last flight to MSP that day, it turns out, has also been cancelled. The reason? Both planes had "aircraft damage." Ended up flying from Chicago back to Charlotte, then from Charlotte to MSP, because I absolutely had to be in Minneapolis the next morning for some meetings. Got there at 2 or 3:00 AM and was a zombie the next day.

Also, when flying from Chattanooga to Charlotte, they often (almost to the point where it is routine) cancel or have big delays on huge blocks of flights to/from those cities over the course of the day. Had meetings in Charlotte. Booked American thinking "they can't screw up a direct 45 minute flight." Wake up that morning, head to the airport. While headed there, I find out that not only my 8 AM flight has been delayed until 5-6:00 that evening, but they have also pushed back or cancelled every other flight from Chattanooga to Charlotte that day. No explanation - it could not have been weather, because the weather was great in both cities and the plane I was supposed to be on was on the ground in Charlotte. Ended up just driving to Charlotte.

I think a big part of American's problem is that even in a pre-COVID world they had lots of staffing issues. They either have lots of staff not show up for work or they are really bad at getting staff from Point A to Point B. It's really the only explanation for those types of cancellations.
Parts of my family are the complete opposite. They were going out to California through Boston on Delta. They started in Atlanta. They got stuck in Boston for 8 hours because of "issues" with Delta. They got switched to United at one point had 3 United flights cancel on them. They finally got to California on American.

Parts of my family are the complete opposite. They were going out to California through Boston on Delta. They started in Atlanta. They got stuck in Boston for 8 hours because of "issues" with Delta. They got switched to United at one point had 3 United flights cancel on them. They finally got to California on American.
If they started in ATL, what were they doing going to California through Boston?

lol - you can fly to almost anywhere on the planet from ATL. It's the busiest in the world.

Flying from ATL to California through Boston...don't know if geography is their strong suit.
He had been she hasnt, they were going to visit his family. I think if i remember correctly the trip somehow came out cheaper if they connected, but he was not going to go through Chicago( this part I remember for sure, said its the worst airport hes ever been through)

VN Store

Back