The Foreign Trade Thread

These are the same people who believe MMT is a good theory.

Let's make a trade deal. I will give you 1.00 for corn and you give me 1.25 for wheat. Then I get all access to your technology while you don't get access to mine.
What is this MMT?

The only MMT I know is methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. Used to be an additive in most all gasoline when we had leaded gas - it was synergistic with TEL in boosting octane. I actually got involved in making MMT in my first but short-lived business venture. Called it Volunteer Chemical Company.

I don’t think we’re required to protect any vessels not US flagged however I would guess as a minimum any man o war would consider it their duty to protect civilian vessels from piracy and what not.
Yea, I get that.

Just didn’t know if a trade war with China got really nasty if we might just wave hello and say “good luck” to Chinese vessels navigating the Gulf of Aden.

What is this MMT?

The only MMT I know is methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. Used to be an additive in most all gasoline when we had leaded gas - it was synergistic with TEL in boosting octane. I actually got involved in making MMT in my first but short-lived business venture. Called it Volunteer Chemical Company.

Modern Monetary Theory.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Yea, I get that.

Just didn’t know if a trade war with China got really nasty if we might just wave hello and say “good luck” to Chinese vessels navigating the Gulf of Aden.
So if a shooting war breaks out and a man o war encounters and enemy flagged vessel, even civilian, I don’t believe there is anything preventing us from engaging or even seizing it. Could be wrong though.

U.S. and Chinese companies fear Trump’s coming trade war on car industry

The tariff burden has not fallen solely on Chinese companies: U.S. businesses are also losing out from the 10 percent duty added last year and stand to suffer more should Trump follow through on new duties on the automotive sector.
Foreign Parts Distributors, a 105-employee company, mainly imports car parts from China, where it has various offices employing management staff and engineers who work with Chinese factories producing steering and suspension parts.
The company’s import duties soared from 2.5 percent to 12.5 percent in September last year after the Section 301 tariffs Trump imposed took effect.

That increase was a big deal in an industry that “generally works with very tight margins,” said Kevin Feig, executive vice president of the company, which was started by his father in 1972 in Miami.
“We and most other companies in our industry are not in a position to just absorb a 10 percent cost increase without passing it forward,” Feig said. “We were forced fairly quickly to raise our prices to our customers and in turn our customers raised their prices to their customers.”
Although other industries have been able to move sourcing out of China to avoid tariffs, the complexity of the products Foreign Parts Distributors sells makes that harder.
“I don’t import towels, so it’s not like I can just say, ‘well the costs went up out of China over 10 percent, so I’m going to buy my yellow towels from Turkey’,” Feig said.

I have a feeling a lot of Vietnams increase are from yellow towels.

VN Store

Back