The Foreign Trade Thread

His brand has been devalued. Generally brands work when the people align themselves with the values of a company, the problem is that the people that align themselves with Trumps values, shop at Walmart.

70% of people in the USA shop at Walmart....do you not shop at Walmart? Are you addressing poor people? Where do we shop in your experience if we have little money? Maybe opinions are only for the rich? I don't get your point? I guess it was "people who shop at Walmart should keep their opinion to themselves"?

70% of people in the USA shop at Walmart....do you not shop at Walmart? Are you addressing poor people? Where do we shop in your experience if we have little money? Maybe opinions are only for the rich? I don't get your point? I guess it was "people who shop at Walmart should keep their opinion to themselves"?

I was pointing out that people who shop at Walmart aren't spending time at Trump branded resorts. Thus, there's a disconnect between his brand and the people who align with his values.Also.. I'm a Target guy, Walmart sucks.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
I was pointing out that people who shop at Walmart aren't spending time at Trump branded resorts. Thus, there's a disconnect between his brand and the people who align with his values.Also.. I'm a Target guy, Walmart sucks.

That I agree with, but the fact is if he was not rich (with a brand) and willing to fund his own campaign he would not be in a position to enter politics as an outsider. This is why the insiders of both parties are pissed now. He could run as an independent or create his own party, the Deplorable Party.

That I agree with, but the fact is if he was not rich (with a brand) and willing to fund his own campaign he would not be in a position to enter politics as an outsider. This is why the insiders of both parties are pissed now. He could run as an independent or create his own party, the Deplorable Party.

If Trump ran as a third party, he'd lose. Even as an incumbent.

This could be a new thread. It's not exactly trade, but it appears that Trump will look for Japan to pony up if they want the US to continue enabling them to thrive underneath our protection. The budget will eventually be balanced if the Dems don't obstruct us from cutting better deals with rich nations.

The American Retreat, Part II: Soldiers of Fortune – Peter Zeihan

South Korea - check

Canada - check

Mexico - check

China - we need to keep turning the screws

Japan - sounds like they know what's coming and will play nice (start writing us checks)

United Kingdom - they need to get out of that one-world-government clan ASAP and grow the partnership with us as their BFF

This is the most believable thing he's said recently.

That's fine. China has shown that they aren't willing to budge and they have far more to lose than the US. They plan to wait and deal with a different POTUS in 1.5 or 5.5 years. Their economy will crash without US support if they have to wait 5.5 years. We can have our plastic Walmart and dollar store crap made in Mexico. We should build up our own chip fabrication facilities here.

Reactions: AM64
That's fine. China has shown that they aren't willing to budge and they have far more to lose than the US. They plan to wait and deal with a different POTUS in 1.5 or 5.5 years. Their economy will crash without US support if they have to wait 5.5 years. We can have our plastic Walmart and dollar store crap made in Mexico. We should build up our own chip fabrication facilities here.

To me the very thought of things like US companies fabricating chips in China is obscene. I consider the CEOs responsible for transferring technology to China traitors. No that long ago even many PC type computers could not be sold to communist bloc countries ... now we build them and more essential electronics there. Shameful.

1) If both countries went into mild recessions, Trump would be toast, Xi would not be.

2) It takes years to re-route supply chains

1) If both countries went into mild recessions, Trump would be toast, Xi would not be.

2) It takes years to re-route supply chains

1). We're overdue.

2). Need to start at some point. But I don't think that it will take anywhere close to that time frame to ramp up low tech production in Mexico. Perhaps Trump is taking the long view. Too bad Obama didn't get something started 10 years ago.

1). With a "mild" recession the Dems will promote it like it's a catastrophe. It's pathetic that many (most?) of them want one since they're putting their party ahead of the country.

It's pretty amazing that the expansion has continued for 10+ years despite the Fed tightening for most of Trump's tenure. Recessions are inevitable. The severity and duration are what's important. Dems getting power and creating a high tax, business hostile, cow towing to foreign interests, free stuff agenda will do severe damage to our economy.

Reactions: AM64
1) Beyond hysteria, I see no signs of a recession. We can take a slight correction which always do happen, but the underlying economic indicators say our economy is still chugging away. A correction in China means a panic because their economy is based on exporting to us.

2) They're already moving to Vietnam and Thailand.

3) The amount of tightening that has been done is small. The Fed has largely not intervened.

VN Store

Back