The Foreign Trade Thread

Really. Seems wages would be higher then. At any rate, I read that its shipping infrastructure is a bottleneck, too.

We tried to open there several years ago but, as you said, wages were already high because workers were in short supply. I think the total population is around 60 million. More people than that in my apartment complex in China!

G-20 meetings predictions?

(1) Trade deal with China announced

(2) Continued trade truce (keep talking, no new tariffs)

(3) Further breakdown (more tariffs coming)

G-20 meetings predictions?

(1) Trade deal with China announced

(2) Continued trade truce (keep talking, no new tariffs)

(3) Further breakdown (more tariffs coming)

I think he's already announced tariffs of 10% are likely coming on everything that doesn't already have one.

Nothing happens. China thinks that they can wait out yet another US administration and Trump wants to damage China's economy since their long term plan is to continue stealing technology until they are the dominant super power economically and militarily. They have a long way to go militarily, but if we let them they'll steal their way to the #1 economy. Eff them. Let's move our business to Mexico and the rest of Latin America.

I think he's already announced tariffs of 10% are likely coming on everything that doesn't already have one.

Nothing happens. China thinks that they can wait out yet another US administration and Trump wants to damage China's economy since their long term plan is to continue stealing technology until they are the dominant super power economically and militarily. They have a long way to go militarily, but if we let them they'll steal their way to the #1 economy. Eff them. Let's move our business to Mexico and the rest of Latin America.
Why don’t we plow development dollars into the Northern Triangle? Millions of low wage laborers there. Much shorter supply chains too.

Improve the local economies
Drive out the gangs
Stabilize the Region

Could kill 2 birds with 1 stone maybe?

Why don’t we plow development dollars into the Northern Triangle? Millions of low wage laborers there. Much shorter supply chains too.

Improve the local economies
Drive out the gangs
Stabilize the Region

Could kill 2 birds with 1 stone maybe?
It works pretty well for the Northern Triangle countries now. They let their poorest people leave, come to the U.S. and then send a lot of the money they earn back home. This way, they don't have to have a safety net for their poor. It's a win/win for them. The countries get a great return on zero investment.

It works pretty well for the Northern Triangle countries now. They let their poorest people leave, come to the U.S. and then send a lot of the money they earn back home. This way, they don't have to have a safety net for their poor. It's a win/win for them. The countries get a great return on zero investment.

If it's working so great why do expats have to keep sending money there?

Gangs?
Corrupt government?
Bad infrastructure?
Gangs?
I’d say we could neutralize them fairly easily so far from the pesky, prying eyes of the ACLU.
I’m thinking about 5,000 Blackwater “Independent Contractors” could probably get the job done in short order.

Corrupt Government?
Any more corrupt than the regional Chinese government officials US Business already comes in contact with?

Infrastructure?
We’re not talking about setting up a hi-Tech military industrial complex here.
Cheap manufacturing that gets loaded onto container ships. The ports are already there.

It would take investment for sure. But nothing crazy.

If we can manufacture Diesel engines in Africa, we can manufacture cheap plastic products in El Salvador.

It works great for the government because they don't have to take care of their poorest people.
There's lots of poor people and the more motivated/industrious ones are the ones who tend to leave. Not good for the future of the country.
Gangs?
I’d say we could neutralize them fairly easily so far from the pesky, prying eyes of the ACLU.
We? We don't run El Salvador.

It's an interesting question. I've not studied the area enough to know. There's generally a reason why investment money goes where it goes. Asia is a lot farther away, but with cargo shipping it's not that expensive to deliver goods--it just takes longer.

There's lots of poor people and the more motivated/industrious ones are the ones who tend to leave. Not good for the future of the country.

It's an interesting question. I've not studied the area enough to know. There's generally a reason why investment money goes where it goes. Asia is a lot farther away, but with cargo shipping it's not that expensive to deliver goods--it just takes longer.
The more poor people that leave means fewer poor people there. Poor people aren't needed for a country to prosper.

When has that ever stopped us?

Little bit of off the books covert action. Clean it right up.

Just imagine what would happen if we devalued our currency like China has done to counteract our tariffs?
China doesn't play fair in anything they do. The best thing for the western world is to stiff China and restart our own manufacturing and start moving factories from China to other places in the world, like maybe Central America.

Good luck with the deregulation needed to get anywhere near a level playing field. As it is, a third of the population is hell bent on keeping the only laborers willing to do menial, under the table, low paying jobs out of our country.

Our manufacturing could not and will never compete with the Chinese widget producing machine. Given Muricas' propensity to consume like biblical locusts, we need cheap crap. And lots of it.

VN Store

Back