The Floriduh game tailgate hosted by Hman

Joe, when are you going to come have lunch with me? And is Jerry ever coming to town?

Waffles... They're usually a pricey option on breakfast/brunch menus at sit-down restaurants, there's the Waffle House, there are the make-your-own stations at the breakfast bars of budget to mid-price hotels (sadly, these are usually overrun with kids and/or parents who do not follow the simple directions and inevitably f*** up waffle after waffle after waffle or the waffle makers themselves), there are the chicken 'n' waffle restaurants... Oddest of all are the waffles sold at Vietnamese sandwich shops (often the most affordable waffles in the area, too).

Waffles are street food in parts of Vietnam. My favorite bahn mi shop has two waffle irons and freshly made batter at the ready for walk-ins. They will make you a waffle to order in minutes and hand it to you in a folded piece of pastry paper. They're favored by the younger crowd and eaten plain. Be forewarned, bánh kẹp lá dứa are not your mothers' waffles. The batter is made with coconut milk and pandan (the juice of Pandanus amaryllifolius leaves), which make the finished waffles green-brown in color. The Malay and Indonesians use a similar recipe to make little cakes.

Chicken 'n' waffles. Tell me true if the following doesn't sound like the best way to serve these two fine foods together.

First, you fry the chicken bone in. Yep. You do all of the prep (brining et al) and fry up those pieces of chicken as you would were you to be serving 'em for Sunday supper. Then, you surgically cut the bone away from the hot fresh pieces of chicken just prior to serving these atop a right out of the iron waffle. Optional accompaniments available on the side.

blue_waffle6.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back