The fact that Arch Manning is not even visiting UT...

Actually, no it doesn't.

All it really shows is you have taken a data point and used it to justify your own biases and projections. Only Arch and his family are privy to his reason behind his recruitment. There is no guarantee Arch would come here even if we were Bama-level dominant.

Were I Arch, I wouldn't want to follow a legend family member to a school at which he is revered. I would want to blaze my own trail. Create my own legacy. Become revered on my own terms.

Last edited:
UT is not even a school that Arch Manning is considering...He is not even visiting UT. I think this shows where we are as a program.
Remind me what immediate tie Arch Manning has to Tennessee. I think you’d have a more logical point if we were talking about Peyton’s son, but Arch is Cooper’s son, and he’d be a 3rd generation legacy at Ole Miss.

None of that changes the fact that we are perhaps at the lowest point in program history, at least modern history, but Arch not showing Tennessee any attention shouldn’t be surprising or reflective of our current state because of the mistaken belief that he has some inherent tie to the university. His uncle played here 4 years, and that is where the tie that binds, both starts and stops.

Pretty simple. Not every talented player looks at every school. No one likes a chicken little.

Actually, no it doesn't.

All it really shows is you have taken a data point and used it to justify your own biases and projections. Only Arch and his family are privy to his reason behind his recruitment. There is no guarantee Arch would come here even if we were Bama-level dominant.

Were I Arch, I wouldn't want to follow a legend family member to a school he at which he is revered. I would want to blaze my own trail. Create my own legacy. Become revered on my own terms.
Which means he breaks ranks with you when he ends up at Ole Miss.

Reactions: feathersax
UT is not even a school that Arch Manning is considering...He is not even visiting UT. I think this shows where we are as a program.

Because his uncle went here? That's a pretty big stretch. His Dad, Grandad, and Uncle Eli all went to Ole Miss. That's the only school that he would have firm ties too. In the end, he'll go to whatever school he feels will give him the best opportunity to get developed into an NFL QB.

People need to realize Peyton was the one who strayed away in the Manning family. Archie will go to Ole Miss, just like his father would have, his uncle did, and his grandfather did. The only way that’s not the case is if Kirby drops some serious cash on him, which we know he’ll try to do.

Last edited:
Kind of funny that if he had just about any other last name he would likely only be a 2-3*. It is going to be a huge jump for him from HS playing 2a talent and coming to a big time program. Not saying his pedigree and ability are not there or wont be. I just cant see how playing 2a talent currently has him listed as a 5*.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and 08Vol
Kind of funny that if he had just about any other last name he would likely only be a 2-3*. It is going to be a huge jump for him from HS playing 2a talent and coming to a big time program. Not saying his pedigree and ability are not there or wont be. I just cant see how playing 2a talent currently has him listed as a 5*.

Talking about Arch or Ty Simpson?

Playing at that program didn't impact his uncles at all. 4 Super Bowl titles between them

No I think it shows he plans to go his own way and stand on his own two feet. I expect to see him at his dad's and uncle's alma mater or LSU. Of course this depends on who is coaching at LSU (QB's) or the behavior and success of Kiffin at Ole Miss.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
My hunch is that he probably would be considering Tennessee if we were at the level we were from 1989-2004... but we're not. There are many more significant indicators of "where we are as a program" than missing out on one player though. High school recruits like stability, and we have none. Attrition throughout the roster is high, and Tennessee has now fired 4 head football coaches since November of 2008. That's over the course of just 13 seasons. Tennessee has also had 5 athletic directors since 2011. High school recruits don't like uncertainty, and we have been self-investigating NCAA Level 1 violations for 9 months now, with no end in sight. It's too easy to negative recruit against Tennessee right now.

Ultimately, he probably enjoys being a part of a legacy and will go to Ole Miss. If Cooper hadn't been diagnosed with a narrowing spinal cord, and been forced to give up playing WR at Ole Miss, then Peyton would have most likely gone there as well.... and it would have been the Branndon Stewart show from 1994-1997. I digress.

People need to realize Peyton was the one who strayed away in the Manning family. Archie will go to Ole Miss, just his father would have, his uncle did, and his grandfather did. The only way that’s not the case is if Kirby drops some serious cash on him, which we know he’ll try to do.

True this. Even Peyton was planning to go to Ole Miss and would have if Cooper had been able to play receiver.

Reactions: Wireless1
People need to realize Peyton was the one who strayed away in the Manning family. Archie will go to Ole Miss, just his father would have, his uncle did, and his grandfather did. The only way that’s not the case is if Kirby drops some serious cash on him, which we know he’ll try to do.
Not sure cash is needed on this one. He seems to be taking a very professional close the vest approach to look at all his options, much like Peyton did with us and Michigan.

I’m not sure why this is surprising at all. Peyton didn’t have any ties to UT when he came here. He chose the Vols because Ole Miss was in the toilet and we gave him the best chance to be successful (at the time we just had a QB go #1 overall in the draft).

You can even look at Eli when he was picked by the Chargers and immediately demanded he be traded because he believed that they would not put him in a situation to be successful.

The Manning boys had a front row seat to what it looks like when you play for an incompetent organization like Archie did when he played for the Saints.

VN Store

Back