the difference of a home run hire

I am all about CBJ, he is the man. But there is no way Jones punches that last TD in, he would be taking a knee. The only thing anyone could get on Butch about is his lack of a killer instinct. In college ball you got to go for the jugular. Please Butch, just some good natured feedback.

Looks like suckeyes going to win nc n 3rd yr of urban...

Just really shows you the difference of big time hires n taking chances.. thank god Michigan went big I can't take the suckeye fans n urban running his mouth.

A great coaching staff does make a difference.

This is not a debate on situations TN vs. OS. Its about what a great coach can do for a program.

:hi:

Had they not been on a bowl ban/probation, Meyer probably would have won a NC in his 1st season there. They would have played ND instead of Bama.

He's basically taken his UF teams to the B1G. Look for OSU to be a shoe-in for the playoffs from here on out...as much as I hate to say it.

Reactions: 1 person
OSU was stacked when UM got there.. why do you think he took the job when he could have stayed at ESPN???

Because he could step in with a pre-stocked roster and go directly back to winning after sanctions were over.

It is not even remotely close to comparable to taking over UT.

I can not even believe this needs to be stated...

This, so much this. I love how this whole playoff the media has constantly reminded us how this was supposedly a rebuilding year for OSU, and that next year was their target. Really? Maybe after Miller went down, but not after a couple of games when they realized that JT was a stud. What is even more scary is Jones is seriously a freak of nature and makes those other two look like complete amateurs. However, the big take away from all of this is simply the fact that don't expect to be scoring a lot of points against that defense.

Yes, most of the above are his recruits, but they were able to develop because he didn't' have to throw them to the wolves right away. I think that is huge and cannot be understated at all.

I am all about CBJ, he is the man. But there is no way Jones punches that last TD in, he would be taking a knee. The only thing anyone could get on Butch about is his lack of a killer instinct. In college ball you got to go for the jugular. Please Butch, just some good natured feedback.

CBJ will pull out some risksy play calls when the odds are in our favor. It's easy to watch OSU and say, Urban has guts. He also has a great OL, a 250 LB QB that looks like a TE, and a defense that's stacked on the line.

Not pointing this to you at all, but some people on here have no clue how football works. You can't begin to compare Urban to Butch. Does Urban play to win? Yes, he does, but that doesn't mean CBJ plays to lose. We don't have the same talent OSU does. OSU is loaded with talent, and they were in 1000x better shape when Urban got to OSU compared to when CBJ came here in 2013. If people aren't pleased with what CBJ has done so far, then they need to reexamine their expectations. We have won, what, 22 games in four years? Still, we are on our way to a second top five recruiting class.

The only concerns for CBJ are the OL recruiting and living up to some of the unrealistic expectations of this fan base...

Last edited:
:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:It's obvious Tennessee refuses to pay the big bucks for a pedigree coach. Never have and never will. You pay for what you get. Eventually you'll get a winner in low budget investments. I got my fingers crossed. Next year we'll start to see what CBJ is made of. Absolutely no reason not to set my bar at a minimum 8 win season and that's being more than fair.:hi::hi:

Reactions: 2 people

For some odd reason the clock stopped after 1st down with about 55 seconds left. Oregon didn't call a TO so I don't know why the clock stopped. Had the clock kept running I'm pretty sure Meyer would have let the clock run down.

Since it didn't, it almost forced OSU to punch it in.

I am not an Ohio State fan but they beat Alabama and Oregon back to back with a third string quarterback. That is pretty impressive.

Yeah, when you see hires like what Michigan did and what Ohio State did and what Alabama did, it's hard not to wish your AD tried a bit harder.

Just curious. How much money, that we didn't have, do you think it would have taken to bring any of those 3 to our rocky top tire fire?

I am not an Ohio State fan but they beat Alabama and Oregon back to back with a third string quarterback. That is pretty impressive.

That third string QB is an NFL caliber QB. There's the difference. He'd start for Bama and a s@@@ load of other teams the day he walked on campus.

CUM is a great coach. Most importantly, he's very smart. He stepped into the right situation. A "plug and play" situation where the team was already very talented, and he has the luxury to add and now is a NC again. He wouldn't have came back into coaching until something such as the situation at OS came about. When it did, it was the perfect situation. Historically good program, coming off a 12 win season, which were vacated but still. The school had a streak of +10 wins from 05 -11 when CUM took over. It wasn't like he stepped into a dumpster fire like CBJ did. CBJ has built his; CUM inherited his.

That third string QB is an NFL caliber QB. There's the difference. He'd start for Bama and a s@@@ load of other teams the day he walked on campus.

Our so called 3rd string QB got us to the 1st winning season in like a billion years.:crazy:

It's called recruiting. Yeah, you have to have a good coach. The way Butch is recruiting we will be in the mix soon enough!

Personally, I could care less, which is why breaking bad is on my TV right now. I watched the 1st quarter, realized Oregon didn't show up to play, and turned it to AMC. The Orange and White game can't come here soon enough. I'm very glad I have to be up early with s@@@ loads to do that way I don't have to hear ESPN slobber on Urban's "knob" all day. It's bad enough I have to read it from some of you on this board..:finger3:

^^^winner^^^. :good!:

It also helps to take over a team that's loaded with talent, that also the previous coach didn't get fired because the team was bad on the field. Its not like Urban walked into a train wreck.

Just looked at their two deep. Eleven of their first 22 on O are 1st or 2nd year players. Twelve on D. All total at least 31 of the players in tOSU's two deep signed with Meyer.

They will return 34 of the 44 in their two deep. They also return 4 of their starting 5 on the OL but lose two DL's to graduation.

By comparison, I think UT had 22 1st or 2nd year players in their two deep but only lose 4 or 5 this year.

Their top 5 rushers on the season were Fr/So....top 2 QB's... 3 of their 4 top receivers... 4 of the top 5 in INT's... 6 of their top 10 tacklers... top 2 in sacks.

You can read this a couple of ways. One, UT may be poised to make a big move in '15. Two, Meyer (though I despise him) is an elite coach who took what was left to him, added elite players, and won a NC in his 3rd year at tOSU.

I don't think anyone would deny that Meyer inherited a much stronger program... but he didn't inherit the players who were the biggest factors in their NC last night.

Yeah, when you see hires like what Michigan did and what Ohio State did and what Alabama did, it's hard not to wish your AD tried a bit harder.

As a 45 year observer, UT will never be those programs. We have never displayed a vision for greatness. We want to occasionally win and have a profitable program but those programs strive for greatness and are willing to invest in their goals.

Reactions: 4 people
It's called recruiting. Yeah, you have to have a good coach. The way Butch is recruiting we will be in the mix soon enough!

Recruiting gets you close. There are a lot of programs in the same talent range as tOSU. Coaching is the difference between tOSU before Meyer and now.

[/B]

Dobbs family ask CBJ to red shirt Dobbs this year if at all possible. CBJ knew we were a 6-6 or best case 7-5 team this year regardless of who the QB was. He not only tried to honor the family's request but he also wanted Dobbs to have a year to settle in academically and develop as a QB. Dobbs can run but he's nowhere near a polished QB. He needed a red shirt year and that's what CBJ tired to do. I find no fault in that. Of course some people can never be happy and just want to complain. You wanted Dobbs and you got Dobbs and still you're not happy. Have a feeling it's always something.

That is all speculation. And since when do parents dictate when and where a player plays? CBJ shouldhhave said if we are going to run a read option offense... You're son is the best fit and he needs to play immediately. He on scholarship. It's not his or anyone else's decision

Ha! You must not have been around for the Casey Clausen era.

No. I was fan of the ice man. Ainge wasn't a very good runner either. But Imo they were all better than worley. Against Oklahoma...He took off from about the 5 without a defender in sight and somehow gets caught at the 2! Then he throws a pic 6 on the next play.

Last edited:
You disagree?

Just reminiscing about those HR hires of yore...you remember...John Cooper at OSU...Earl Bruce at OSU...Luke Fickell at OSU? Mikes Dubose and Shula at Bama? Moeller,Carr and Hoke at Michigan (Rich Rod was a HR hire that struck out). Just get real sad and weepy wondering why Hart can't do in 3, what it took their guys in about 20 to do. :cray:

Also scattershooting wondering what you call a hire who hits a home run while everybody is busy drooling over someone else's hire? :huh:

Reactions: 4 people
CBJ will pull out some risksy play calls when the odds are in our favor. It's easy to watch OSU and say, Urban has guts. He also has a great OL, a 250 QB that looks like a TE, and a defense that's stacked on the line.

Not pointing this to you at all, but some people on here have no clue how football works. You can't begin to compare Urban to Butch. Does Urban play to win? Yes, he does, but that doesn't mean CBJ plays to lose. We don't have the same talent OSU does. OSU is loaded with talent, and they were in 1000x better shape when Urban got to OSU compared to when CBJ came here in 2013. If people aren't pleased with what CBJ has done so far, then they need to reexamine their expectations. We have won, what, 22 games in four years? Still, we are on our way to a second top five recruiting class.

The only concerns for CBJ are the OL recruiting and living up to some of the unrealistic expectations of this fan base...
I am with you Keck, just know I wasn't ragging on Butch IMO he has done one super job since arriving on campus.

VN Store

Back