the difference of a home run hire

Is it not time to put the "should've played Dobbs from the beginning of the year" argument to bed permanently? Hindsight is always 20/20 and nobody could've predicted that Dobbs would play as well as he did.

No. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist (no pun intended) to realize he was most capable of running our offense. For God sakes we run a read option offense! And elected to go with the worst runner I've ever seen. It's one of those things that just almost makes question Butch's intelligence.

Reactions: 2 people
Urban went to OSU because that's his home. Of course he's going to have success. OSU plays no one. 3-4 ranked teams every year... The SEC beats each other to death, while OSU cruises right along. They have loads of talent in arguably the most QB friendly system in college football. Jesus must also be an OSU fan, because they get more breaks than any team I've ever seen. They have 3 NFL caliber QBs in a QB friendly system. The last three games they've played, their competition has had massive injuries/suspensions. Gordon was hurt in the Big 10 Championship. Bama has Yeldon, Collins, and 3/4 their LBs squad hurt. Then, Oregon gets their two best WRs suspended, which cost them the game in the first quarter because they muffed two huge third down conversions, both of which lead to OSU TDs. Don't get me wrong Urban is good, but I hate OSU and would never pull for them, ever.

There's not an SEC,Pac12, or Big10 team that would have beaten OSU tonight . MAYBE TCU would have given them some trouble, but at some point you just have to give credit where it's due. Maybe Bama wins in a rematch, but I seriously doubt it. That's a complete team in every way and if it weren't for the turnovers, Oregon would probably have lost by 35+ .

Reactions: 1 person
No. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist (no pun intended) to realize he was most capable of running our offense. For God sakes we run a read option offense! And elected to go with the worst runner I've ever seen. It's one of those things that just almost makes question Butch's intelligence.

You're right he was most capable of running the option part of the offense. Worley was virtually no threat in the running game, but was Dobbs not viewed as a bad practice player this year? The only game experience Dobbs had coming into this year wasn't exactly awe inspiring so it isn't really hard to understand why Worley was chosen and Dobbs granted the opportunity to continue to develop under a redshirt. I wish Dobbs had played from the beginning as well, but that statement is made with the benefit of hindsight.

Edit: Obviously I'm referring to Dobbs and Worley's ability to throw the football

Looks like suckeyes going to win nc n 3rd yr of urban...

Just really shows you the difference of big time hires n taking chances.. thank god Michigan went big I can't take the suckeye fans n urban running his mouth.

A great coaching staff does make a difference.

This is not a debate on situations TN vs. OS. Its about what a great coach can do for a program.

:hi:
I like your story sibling.

Can't agree on that one . Ask a Michigan fan how bad OSU and their fans get when they're rolling. They make Bama look like a bible study group.

Are O-St fans that bad? I work in a college clothing store and Bama fans have been the worst I've dealt with. Granted since I started working there Bama has been on their run of dominance.

As much as I enjoyed seeing the "entitled" Alabama fans cry again, Saban and the Tide should hang their heads for letting tOSU represent college football as champion.

Ohi State should not have been rewarded with a playoff spot.

But they beat the mighty Tide and the no defense Ducks; so there is no way to challenge their claim as undisputed national champions. :bad:

Urban may have been a homerun hire, he proved he is classless at the end of the game.

I could not possibly agree more. It makes me pissed every time another team get that home run hire (like Michigan this year). It seemed like our last search Hart just started offering the job to every Damn name that would talk to him. We should have identified our dream hire and thrown the damn house at him. Instead we went the value route and made a mockery out of ourselves in the process.
And I've always questioned why the hell we allowed a guy like Hart to make such an important hire to begin with. There should be a whole committee of alumni involved in the process.
Butch can recruit like hell and this is not intended to be an insult toward him but I've gotten on here and vented all year about the ridiculous conservative playcalling. Unwilling to try to convert any fourth downs against Florida, taking a knee against Missouri at the end of the half with great field position, and really not playing Dobbs to begin with was a safe but conservative decision. You'd just never see urban Meyer do that. He always going to be attacking. It's a mentality he's instilling in his players. We are not going to sit on our butts with our fingers crossed hoping the other team will lose if as opposed to us winning it. It's not a winning attitude

You are wrong on so many fronts!!! We went for Gruden and he turned us down. We were extremely lucky to have gotten Butch Jones and what he has done and will do for the program. Look at the optimism after going 7-6 and winning a meaningless bowl. The bricks are being laid, talent is coming in, and now we can begin to go for it and not be conservative. Quit being so pessimistic and realize that Tennessee is about to be relevant again. Get on for the ride or get the hell off.

Reactions: 4 people

Dobbs family ask CBJ to red shirt Dobbs this year if at all possible. CBJ knew we were a 6-6 or best case 7-5 team this year regardless of who the QB was. He not only tried to honor the family's request but he also wanted Dobbs to have a year to settle in academically and develop as a QB. Dobbs can run but he's nowhere near a polished QB. He needed a red shirt year and that's what CBJ tired to do. I find no fault in that. Of course some people can never be happy and just want to complain. You wanted Dobbs and you got Dobbs and still you're not happy. Have a feeling it's always something.

Reactions: 3 people
Can't agree on that one . Ask a Michigan fan how bad OSU and their fans get when they're rolling. They make Bama look like a bible study group.

I don't live near any Ohio State fans nor do I interact with them on a daily basis. Bama fans are everywhere in Middle TN, though.

Furthermore, we don't play OSU every year in football. Bama gets stronger every time they win a championship. I would prefer for them to get knocked back down to earth for the next 20 years. Having to face teams like OSU every year in the playoffs is a good way to make that happen.

Are O-St fans that bad? I work in a college clothing store and Bama fans have been the worst I've dealt with. Granted since I started working there Bama has been on their run of dominance.

There's a reason why a lot of people say UM/OSU is the biggest college rivalry and it's not because of the stadium sizes. They will literally make you hate them. Bama's about half silly wagon jumping girls that always pick the most consistent winner. Thinking about it. They're a lot like us except with that yankee arrogance . We're pretty bad when we're winning a lot too.

[/B]

Dobbs family ask CBJ to red shirt Dobbs this year if at all possible. CBJ knew we were a 6-6 or best case 7-5 team this year regardless of who the QB was. He not only tried to honor the family's request but he also wanted Dobbs to have a year to settle in academically and develop as a QB. Dobbs can run but he's nowhere near a polished QB. He needed a red shirt year and that's what CBJ tired to do. I find no fault in that. Of course some people can never be happy and just want to complain. You wanted Dobbs and you got Dobbs and still you're not happy. Have a feeling it's always something.

We could win the National Title next year and the same people would have agenda against Butch because he's not the guy they wanted hired.

There's a reason why a lot of people say UM/OSU is the biggest college rivalry and it's not because of the stadium sizes. They will literally make you hate them. Bama's about half silly wagon jumping girls that always pick the most consistent winner. Thinking about it. They're a lot like us except with that yankee arrogance . We're pretty bad when we're winning a lot too.

To be honest with you in the store that I work in, Michigan fans are worse than OSU fans are. The OSU I deal with are just normal fans. I am aware, however, that the attitude of fans change depending on the season their particular team is having.

I don't live near any Ohio State fans nor do I interact with them on a daily basis. Bama fans are everywhere in Middle TN, though.

Furthermore, we don't play OSU every year in football. Bama gets stronger every time they win a championship. I would prefer for them to get knocked back down to earth for the next 20 years. Having to face teams like OSU every year in the playoffs is a good way to make that happen.

I get your perspective. I just would rather beat Bama at full strength once. I don't want our resurgence coinciding with their fall.

Personally, I could care less, which is why breaking bad is on my TV right now. I watched the 1st quarter, realized Oregon didn't show up to play, and turned it to AMC. The Orange and White game can't come here soon enough. I'm very glad I have to be up early with s@@@ loads to do that way I don't have to hear ESPN slobber on Urban's "knob" all day. It's bad enough I have to read it from some of you on this board..:finger3:

I lasted till the 4th quarter, trying a different pint glass, a different beer, a different channel (turned to the film room channel), and a couple different mojo-changing tactics to no avail. I hate OUS with every fiber of my being. So f'ing painful. I also had to change the channel after a point. Had to turn off that garbage. God I hate them.

I could not possibly agree more. It makes me pissed every time another team get that home run hire (like Michigan this year). It seemed like our last search Hart just started offering the job to every Damn name that would talk to him. We should have identified our dream hire and thrown the damn house at him. Instead we went the value route and made a mockery out of ourselves in the process.
And I've always questioned why the hell we allowed a guy like Hart to make such an important hire to begin with. There should be a whole committee of alumni involved in the process.
Butch can recruit like hell and this is not intended to be an insult toward him but I've gotten on here and vented all year about the ridiculous conservative playcalling. Unwilling to try to convert any fourth downs against Florida, taking a knee against Missouri at the end of the half with great field position, and really not playing Dobbs to begin with was a safe but conservative decision. You'd just never see urban Meyer do that. He always going to be attacking. It's a mentality he's instilling in his players. We are not going to sit on our butts with our fingers crossed hoping the other team will lose if as opposed to us winning it. It's not a winning attitude

We had the ball on our own 28 with 1:14 left in the half. That's not great field position. When we lost 4 yards on first down (to the 24) it was the right decision to run out the clock. Missouri was living in our backfield. Had Dobbs been sacked Missouri could have used their timeouts to get the ball back on our side of the 50. Every situation is different and in that particular case the risk/reward was just not in our favor. By your comments I seriously question your football IQ.

Reactions: 7 people
To clear up this debate, I lived in Chicago for 8yrs, and trust me, OSU fans are like a virus with delusional and borderline personality disorder. They are the worst, most obnoxious fan base in the world. They basically like Harley riders from the South Park episode.

We could win the National Title next year and the same people would have agenda against Butch because he's not the guy they wanted hired.

Yeah but they can't tell who they wanted except Gruden and he's never coaching college football.

Urban went to OSU because that's his home. Of course he's going to have success. OSU plays no one. 3-4 ranked teams every year... The SEC beats each other to death, while OSU cruises right along. They have loads of talent in arguably the most QB friendly system in college football. Jesus must also be an OSU fan, because they get more breaks than any team I've ever seen. They have 3 NFL caliber QBs in a QB friendly system. The last three games they've played, their competition has had massive injuries/suspensions. Gordon was hurt in the Big 10 Championship. Bama has Yeldon, Collins, and 3/4 their LBs squad hurt. Then, Oregon gets their two best WRs suspended, which cost them the game in the first quarter because they muffed two huge third down conversions, both of which lead to OSU TDs. Don't get me wrong Urban is good, but I hate OSU and would never pull for them, ever.

I've always said that the top tier teams of other conferences of course can play with the top Tier teams of the SEC, the SEC from top to bottom is just more competitive then other conferences. SEC has more depth then anyone else. OSU is a great team but their conference is crappy. It just like how Boise St. can show up for one or two major games a year and win. They don't play anyone else. This isn't a knock on how good the team is. Ohio State was the better team this year. Its really a knock on the conference, from top to bottom. The weaker side of the SEC (east) went 5-0 in their bowl games, the bottom two teams in the west won their bowls. This means the SEC's worst teams were actually tough compared to other conferences. This gives the SEC plurality, especially this year. Personally I thought this year the SEC's top their schools were not dominant, they all had major flaws and beat each other up. Where in the Big Ten the who's who of recruits go to only Ohio State, in the SEC talent gets spread around, which makes it more competitive then other conferences where the top recruits go to one or two schools. But this can actually hurt you eventually as we've seen the past two years.

I've always said that the top tier teams of other conferences of course can play with the top Tier teams of the SEC, the SEC from top to bottom is just more competitive then other conferences. SEC has more depth then anyone else. OSU is a great team but their conference is crappy. It just like how Boise St. can show up for one or two major games a year and win. They don't play anyone else. This isn't a knock on how good the team is. Ohio State was the better team this year. Its really a knock on the conference, from top to bottom. The weaker side of the SEC (east) went 5-0 in their bowl games, the bottom two teams in the west won their bowls. This means the SEC's worst teams were actually tough compared to other conferences. This gives the SEC plurality, especially this year. Personally I thought this year the SEC's top their schools were not dominant, they all had major flaws and beat each other up. Where in the Big Ten the who's who of recruits go to only Ohio State, in the SEC talent gets spread around, which makes it more competitive then other conferences where the top recruits go to one or two schools. But this can actually hurt you eventually as we've seen the past two years.

The playoffs have all but destroyed any chance of a SEC teaming winning the NC. Our conference is to hard, and we can't make it through a 15 game schedule. Bama proved that this year. Look how beat up they were. Look how beat up we were this year. J. Will, North, VP, Malone, Hurd, Lane, Wolf, etc all played hurt at some point this year. The SEC + the one hard OOC game is just to much. The SEC Championship is almost as good as winning the NC with how hard the SEC is. It's all good though, ESPN and the rest of the country received what they wanted, the demise of the SEC... Hope you guys like OSU, etc....:disappointed:

THISGONBGUD.gif

VN Store

Back