The difference between Kellie and Holly

Easy heave/no heave test: if ANY opposing team beat us with that shot would we be calling it luck? Yes, of course.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but IMO if that play happened by design then KJH should be on immediate probation for malpractice. How do you watch that cluster 35 ft from the hoop and not see desperation? Truthfully, were you REALLY happy with how that was unfolding at the time or were you, like virtually every LV fan, saying Oh crap . . .
Absolutely. I was in Section 104 watching as that unfolded. You describe exactly what I was thinking. Rennia had decent form on the shot but it was a moment of desperation. I was thrilled when it went in.

Absolutely. I was in Section 104 watching as that unfolded. You describe exactly what I was thinking. Rennia had decent form on the shot but it was a moment of desperation. I was thrilled when it went in.

I missed that game, but sit one section over in 105 when I go

Reactions: Creekdog
There’d be no Geno or UConn without Pat and UT. Remember that.
That is just silly! Pat was in no way responsible for training Geno anything. He did that though his own abilities. Not to mention he bested her more often than not.

Reactions: Creekdog
You could make the argument that Pat's pioneering made Geno's career possible or made WCBB something he would even consider. Other than that, yeah, LOL, Coach Churlish is a self creation. No one could have come up with that blend of coaching skill, arrogance, and pure ego.

You could make the argument that Pat's pioneering made Geno's career possible or made WCBB something he would even consider. Other than that, yeah, LOL, Coach Churlish is a self creation. No one could have come up with that blend of coaching skill, arrogance, and pure ego.
Coach Summitt was the greatest ambassador and promoter of the women's game. She certainly accelerated and enhanced the growth of women's basketball. But, there were pioneers who came before her. To say she made any other coach's career "possible" is quite a stretch.

Reactions: Eric Viesturs
Coach Summitt was the greatest ambassador and promoter of the women's game. She certainly accelerated and enhanced the growth of women's basketball. But, there were pioneers who came before her. To say she made any other coach's career "possible" is quite a stretch.

relevant,, is different from possible
it was always possible

That is just silly! Pat was in no way responsible for training Geno anything. He did that though his own abilities. Not to mention he bested her more often than not.
You missed my point. She was a steward of the game. Without her hard work, blood, sweat and tears, no one would be talking about about women’s basketball.

If UConn wins on a shot 16’ or more from the basket as time runs out, I for one will say they were lucky!!! If it is from about 25’, I will say they were extremely lucky!!!
(Unless it is Steph Curry in disguise.)

Reactions: glv98
I wish the thread could have been "The difference between this year's team and recent years." Or "The improved Lady Vols." (I think we've had those threads).

I agree that a lot of time has been spent bashing former coaches and that it can quickly get out of hand...and, besides being uncharitable and mean, it is unproductive from a practical standpoint. Assuming that some recruits (and family and friends) ever take a peek to see what the fan base is like, it sends an ugly image, especially with the really personal comments having nothing to do with coaching. I think the members have done a pretty good job refraining from too much anti-H comments since the change was made, and it would be nice to see it stay that way.

When a coach doesn't succeed to expectations, it is up to the athletic department and administration to make a change. It's a rarity that coaches voluntarily step aside even if they truly recognize that they're not getting the job done. Mistakes were made, a change was instituted, and now it's time to move on. Let's agree that the change was necessary and not let the most recent experience throw away all the good things Holly did as athlete and assistant.

When we talk about positives and improvement we see, by implication we understand that it's a reflection on the prior staff. That should be enough criticism, IMO, and I'm sure it hurts to some degree. We can still wish all former Vol coaches well in future endeavors unless they deliberately, intentionally did something then or now to hurt our programs.

I apologize for the pant size comment. That was uncalled for. I don’t think we should be comparing Coach Harper and Holly in anyway. Not fair to either of them.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back