The difference between Kellie and Holly

Watching the last game, the only difference is the final shot went in. The total meltdown in the closing minutes was vintage Hollyball and a reminder of how she lost the last 5 in a row to an inferior team. Fortunately we had Kellie this time to draw up the 30 foot heave for the win...
This is sad but true. There is no way that game should’ve been that close at the end and i don’t think Kellie drew up the heave. Lol But I will take the victory and be happy with it. Always good to beat Bammer especially when we’d lost the last 4 or 5 to them.

She probably didn’t draw up that heave, but there should have been a situational play in the arsenal that involved all 5 players better organized than that—some go-to plan with a couple of options out of it with limited but ample time minus the timeout.

Reactions: Rixxx and Darth_Vol
She probably didn’t draw up that heave, but there should have been a situational play in the arsenal that involved all 5 players better organized than that—some go-to plan with a couple of options out of it with limited but ample time minus the timeout.

It wasn't a heave.

Go back and look at that shot PB.
AT 9.3 on the clock she gets the inbound, she dribbles to the left and runs into a potential double-team trap, she reverses and loses the ball for two bounces, regains and does a basketball move,,,a step-back!

And yes, she probably does have to "heave" her shot at that point because she is 30 feet from the basket...She was so far away,, that the time left on the clock was .6 seconds when the ball went in....The ball took 2 seconds to get to the hoop! So yes, she heaved her shot,,had to....But it wasn't a desperation heave,,,it was a controlled move.
Go and look at it again

As a coach I know what it takes to remain cool under that type of circumstance.
I pride myself on being a coach, that athletes can't impress
I can see a flaw in any pro I look at
But that sniper-control under crazy circumstances was......impressive.

This is sad but true. There is no way that game should’ve been that close at the end and i don’t think Kellie drew up the heave. Lol But I will take the victory and be happy with it. Always good to beat Bammer especially when we’d lost the last 4 or 5 to them.

Yes, it's just amusing to me that the only difference between Kellie the "breath of fresh air" genius, and Kellie the Holly 2.0 retread was that shot. If Davis doesn't pull that miracle shot out of her butt to bail Kellie out, we're having a very different conversation about Kellie's coaching acumen down the stretch right now...

Is there any chance that say by the end of this season we can stop beating up on Holly?
She’s gone having been fired by her alma mater - a school that she was an All American at and helped win nattys for as an assistant. Head coach didn’t work out. She was a victim of the Peter Principle after taking on the hardest coaching job in women’s basketball; following the GOAT. This continual kicking her around is not a good look for our fan base.
Just FYI, I too thought she needed to go but don’t celebrate that it needed to happen.

Yes, it's just amusing to me that the only difference between Kellie the "breath of fresh air" genius, and Kellie the Holly 2.0 retread was that shot. If Davis doesn't pull that miracle shot out of her butt to bail Kellie out, we're having a very different conversation about Kellie's coaching acumen down the stretch right now...

There's one more.....people believe Coach K can get the job DONE!

Is there any chance that say by the end of this season we can stop beating up on Holly?
She’s gone having been fired by her alma mater - a school that she was an All American at and helped win nattys for as an assistant. Head coach didn’t work out. She was a victim of the Peter Principle after taking on the hardest coaching job in women’s basketball; following the GOAT. This continual kicking her around is not a good look for our fan base.
Just FYI, I too thought she needed to go but don’t celebrate that it needed to happen.
Amen!

It is very likely that after this season, the Holly beatdown will diminish. Sadly tho, it's totally to be expected this year. Of course the new regime is going to be compared to the old. I feel very bad about Holly's sad Peter Principle fate but of course we're going to look for every scintilla of improvement over her reign.

IMO, there has been tangible improvement, most notably in the areas of focus and chemistry. Still a long way to go, especially in decision making and ball security, but we finally seem to be headed in the right direction instead of careening toward the bottom of the barrel.

About "the shot", of course it was a desperation heave, anyone denying that totally lives in a fantasy world. Oh wait, some here do dwell in Land LA LA where these posts actually influence recruits and the staff debates whether to reach out for their expert input. Sorry forgot for a minute.

Maybe practicing the game winning heave, as everyone who's ever played the game does, helped make it happen but the fact remains it was a disaster of a last play. I'm assuming the intent was put the ball in the hands of your best player and let her work. Unfortunately, Davis' biggest flaw, her hesitancy, made that a bad call. Not a crazy one, just the wrong one, even tho we got lucky. A better one, as pointed out upthread, would have been to involve all five and maybe get the ball inside. Perfect hindsight, I know.

I think teams often wait way too long on these plays to actually initiate a move toward scoring. I get that you don't want to give the other team too much time after you score, but if there are five seconds left and you're still diddling 30 feet away you're probably going to lose. IMO the move toward the basket should start with about 6 secs left and the shot goes up with about 3. That way there's a chance for a rebound and putback, but not enough for a quality play for the opposition if you score.

I hope, and believe, after the fun and celebration of the last shot subsides, the takeaway is we need to address the malfunction of the last chance play.

Overall, decision making is the big bugaboo I see left to conquer. Most of our many turnovers are directly attributable to just poor choices; overpassing, hesitating, or bulling forward when pulling up would do. It is a very young team but during the second half of the season I expect to see tangible improvement in this area, especially for Horston. Tonight would be a great time to start.

It's difficult at this point to compare coaching abilities because that brings in player quality but for sure Kelly dresses, carries herself and communicates like an SEC head Coach. Thus far, I have not heard her say she does not know why they lost a game. That alone is a huge improvement to me. If you don't know whats wrong, how can you correct it?

It wasn't a heave.

Go back and look at that shot PB.
AT 9.3 on the clock she gets the inbound, she dribbles to the left and runs into a potential double-team trap, she reverses and loses the ball for two bounces, regains and does a basketball move,,,a step-back!

And yes, she probably does have to "heave" her shot at that point because she is 30 feet from the basket...She was so far away,, that the time left on the clock was .6 seconds when the ball went in....The ball took 2 seconds to get to the hoop! So yes, she heaved her shot,,had to....But it wasn't a desperation heave,,,it was a controlled move.
Go and look at it again

As a coach I know what it takes to remain cool under that type of circumstance.
I pride myself on being a coach, that athletes can't impress
I can see a flaw in any pro I look at
But that sniper-control under crazy circumstances was......impressive.

Agree. I have watched it over and over and she was in complete control when she released that ball. She said in the postgame interview she knew it was going in when it left her hands. I don’t know if Kellie drew it up, but it wasn’t a heave.

It is very likely that after this season, the Holly beatdown will diminish. Sadly tho, it's totally to be expected this year. Of course the new regime is going to be compared to the old. I feel very bad about Holly's sad Peter Principle fate but of course we're going to look for every scintilla of improvement over her reign.

IMO, there has been tangible improvement, most notably in the areas of focus and chemistry. Still a long way to go, especially in decision making and ball security, but we finally seem to be headed in the right direction instead of careening toward the bottom of the barrel.

About "the shot", of course it was a desperation heave, anyone denying that totally lives in a fantasy world. Oh wait, some here do dwell in Land LA LA where these posts actually influence recruits and the staff debates whether to reach out for their expert input. Sorry forgot for a minute.

Maybe practicing the game winning heave, as everyone who's ever played the game does, helped make it happen but the fact remains it was a disaster of a last play. I'm assuming the intent was put the ball in the hands of your best player and let her work. Unfortunately, Davis' biggest flaw, her hesitancy, made that a bad call. Not a crazy one, just the wrong one, even tho we got lucky. A better one, as pointed out upthread, would have been to involve all five and maybe get the ball inside. Perfect hindsight, I know.

I think teams often wait way too long on these plays to actually initiate a move toward scoring. I get that you don't want to give the other team too much time after you score, but if there are five seconds left and you're still diddling 30 feet away you're probably going to lose. IMO the move toward the basket should start with about 6 secs left and the shot goes up with about 3. That way there's a chance for a rebound and putback, but not enough for a quality play for the opposition if you score.

I hope, and believe, after the fun and celebration of the last shot subsides, the takeaway is we need to address the malfunction of the last chance play.

Overall, decision making is the big bugaboo I see left to conquer. Most of our many turnovers are directly attributable to just poor choices; overpassing, hesitating, or bulling forward when pulling up would do. It is a very young team but during the second half of the season I expect to see tangible improvement in this area, especially for Horston. Tonight would be a great time to start.
Nailed it.

Easy heave/no heave test: if ANY opposing team beat us with that shot would we be calling it luck? Yes, of course.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but IMO if that play happened by design then KJH should be on immediate probation for malpractice. How do you watch that cluster 35 ft from the hoop and not see desperation? Truthfully, were you REALLY happy with how that was unfolding at the time or were you, like virtually every LV fan, saying Oh crap . . .

VN Store

Back