The DH spot

The 247 podcast threw this exact scenario out there.. but no I wouldn’t personally want CTV to do that. If it aint broke don’t fix it. Amick isn’t great at 3rd but who knows how taking him off the field would affect his confidence, rhythm, mojo, whatever you want to call it. It’s not easy sitting for 45 minutes and going to the plate cold. I personally would like to see us just stick with Chapman/Peebles at the DH and, for the most part, let them play the whole game.
Sanity returns!

Reactions: IH8TheHaslams
I think you ride with the switch hitter Cannon Peebles. But first makes him write a paper on stoicism and not letting the little $hit bother him.

Peebles is clearly emotional and his body language is terrible and getting him no where.

He has the most potential as a hitter and I think the at bats will get him in rhythm and comfortable

We have 12-14 highly skilled bats, so a good problem to have.

For me, we are considerably better/deeper from the left handed side.

Therefore, as an additional power hitting right hander, I would write Backus in there and go with him for a while.

We gave Robin V a good shot at it, and he's obviously not ready yet. Maybe next year for him.

Reactions: JarFly
We have 12-14 highly skilled bats, so a good problem to have.

For me, we are considerably better/deeper from the left handed side.

Therefore, as an additional power hitting right hander, I would write Backus in there and go with him for a while.

We gave Robin V a good shot at it, and he's obviously not ready yet. Maybe next year for him.
RV needs to fix his swing and get it more level through the zone.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Fielding percentage is .979, only Auburn, MSU and UF are better…I wouldn’t change a thing. MSU has 31 errors, leading the league, we have 38. Antigua hasn’t proven he’s a hitter either, great on defense, I’ll spot you that. Honestly he just hasn’t gotten a lot of chances. I hope he sticks around.

Fielding percentage is .979, only Auburn, MSU and UF are better…I wouldn’t change a thing. MSU has 31 errors, leading the league, we have 38. Antigua hasn’t proven he’s a hitter either, great on defense, I’ll spot you that. Honestly he just hasn’t gotten a lot of chances. I hope he sticks around
My guess would Antigua plays SS next year and Curley moves to 3rd.

My guess would Antigua plays SS next year and Curley moves to 3rd.
Technically there are 3 options available…Antigua to SS and Curley to 3B or 2B…or Curley stays at SS and Antigua goes to 2B. Of course some of that could be dictated on if we bring in a hot shot freshman or transfer at 2B or 3B.

It’s been discussed how the DH spot has been a liability during the back half of the season. I had a thought….maybe the answer should be Billy Amick. He’s a liability defensively. Put him at DH, move Curley to 3B and Antigua to SS. You’ve improved your defense and basically replaced the unproductive DHs in the lineup with Antigua. I don’t know if Antigua would hit well, but he couldn’t be worse.

It’s been discussed how the DH spot has been a liability during the back half of the season. I had a thought….maybe the answer should be Billy Amick. He’s a liability defensively. Put him at DH, move Curley to 3B and Antigua to SS. You’ve improved your defense and basically replaced the unproductive DHs in the lineup with Antigua. I don’t know if Antigua would hit well, but he couldn’t be worse.
Billy is projected as a first rounder in the upcoming draft. He's not a liability

Billy is projected as a first rounder in the upcoming draft. He's not a liability
Yes. He’s projected in the 1st round based on his stellar abilities as a Third Baseman. What was I thinking? 🙄

It’s almost like I said “defensive liability,” not “liability.” And it’s almost like that distinction matters. Almost.

Yes. He’s projected in the 1st round based on his stellar abilities as a Third Baseman. What was I thinking? 🙄

It’s almost like I said “defensive liability,” not “liability.” And it’s almost like that distinction matters. Almost.

I checked the box score, see Antigua got in, in the process of watching, looks like he got to the plate.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
RV needs to fix his swing and get it more level through the zone.
I think he needs to line up his knuckles and put a little space between his pinky and the next finger of his bottom hand and tap the barrel on the plate twice before each pitch.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Your last point is probably the dispositive one. V likely isn’t going to change things at this point. But on paper, I think it makes a lot of sense.

I worry about an Amick miscue hurting us in a big spot. It’s not just his poor throws, either. Tears should’ve had an outfield assist last night but Amick couldn’t make the catch and tag (as Denton would have). That’s not an error, per se, but it’s a non-box score thing that can bite a team.
The ball hit the runner not missed by Amick

Antigua is solid at ss but I’m not sure Curley has enough reps at 3rd to make that move , hopefully Amick gets back to where he was before having surgery

So Amick boots a routine ground ball and, so far it has cost UT 3 runs. Instead of 1-1 going to B3, it’s 5-1 with Behnke coming in.

What was I thinking? It’s not like the notion of Amick’s bad defense costing UT in the postseason was foreseeable or anything.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back