The DH spot

NighthawkVol

It’s been discussed how the DH spot has been a liability during the back half of the season. I had a thought….maybe the answer should be Billy Amick. He’s a liability defensively. Put him at DH, move Curley to 3B and Antigua to SS. You’ve improved your defense and basically replaced the unproductive DHs in the lineup with Antigua. I don’t know if Antigua would hit well, but he couldn’t be worse.

Reactions: volplaya8 and vol66
It’s been discussed how the DH spot has been a liability during the back half of the season. I had a thought….maybe the answer should be Billy Amick. He’s a liability defensively. Put him at DH, move Curley to 3B and Antigua to SS. You’ve improved your defense and basically replaced the unproductive DHs in the lineup with Antigua. I don’t know if Antigua would hit well, but he couldn’t be worse.

You think making whole sale changes this late is a good idea?

Yes but cant change things…same reason we can’t start Causey outright or leadoff Hunter in the lineup…all these things in a perfect world would be acceptable but we can’t change things when we are rolling along…

Isn't this a draft year for Amick? If so, wouldn't that hurt his prospects? I'd imagine that would be used against us in recruiting and especially in the portal. Wouldn't be a great look I suspect.

Did you seriously just say that a Dick Howser finalist is a liability defensively? LMAO

Isn't this a draft year for Amick? If so, wouldn't that hurt his prospects? I'd imagine that would be used against us in recruiting and especially in the portal. Wouldn't be a great look I suspect.
He has been replaced a few times already in late innings and in a certain situation might again…but no…we won’t be replacing him over there for an entire game…funny though that he ends up in portal because Clemson coach did the exact same thing

He has been replaced a few times already in late innings and in a certain situation might again…but no…we won’t be replacing him over there for an entire game…funny though that he ends up in portal because Clemson coach did the exact same thing

QFT.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You aren’t putting 2 freshman on the left side of the infield—especially this late in the season. Plus, CTV isn’t going to torpedo Amick’s draft stock as he’s a servicable 3B until his recent throwing miscues. It would hurt him in recruiting and wouldn’t improve the team IMHO.

You think making whole sale changes this late is a good idea?
Had that thought. But really you’re just inserting Antigua and removing Chapman/Bargo/Peebles/Backus…who are being moved in and out of the lineup anyway. So it’s not really “wholesale.”

Defensively, you’re improving.

You aren’t putting 2 freshman on the left side of the infield—especially this late in the season. Plus, CTV isn’t going to torpedo Amick’s draft stock as he’s a servicable 3B until his recent throwing miscues. It would hurt him in recruiting and wouldn’t improve the team IMHO.
A) What does being freshmen matter if they’re better defensively? And they are. By a mile.

B) Amick isn’t a 3B at the next level. Playing a position he won’t play as a pro poorly for another month doesn’t help his stock. He’ll be a corner OF or 1B as a pro.

A) What does being freshmen matter if they’re better defensively? And they are. By a mile.

B) Amick isn’t a 3B at the next level. Playing a position he won’t play as a pro poorly for another month doesn’t help his stock. He’ll be a corner OF or 1B as a pro.
that’s easy:
a) Experience matters. You don’t throw those 2 true freshmen at season’s end “to the wolves“ in positions that they haven’t played any material innings all year. You might see late inning defensive replacements (even at 3B) depending on the situation.
b) Lots of All American type college players are starting in positions that they won’t sniff when they make it to MLB. CTV isn’t going to put Amick at DH IMHO unless he completely melts down on defense. Amick played a solid 3B until the recent throwing issues which I think he will overcome.
At this point in the season, you ride with the horses that brought you. Wholesale changes at 2 critical infield positions with true freshmen right before postseason isn’t happening. Chris Burke essentially said all of this during a recent interview.

that’s easy:
a) Experience matters. You don’t throw those 2 true freshmen at season’s end “to the wolves“ in positions that they haven’t played any material innings all year. You might see late inning defensive replacements (even at 3B) depending on the situation.
b) Lots of All American type college players are starting in positions that they won’t sniff when they make it to MLB. CTV isn’t going to put Amick at DH IMHO unless he completely melts down on defense. Amick played a solid 3B until the recent throwing issues which I think he will overcome.
At this point in the season, you ride with the horses that brought you. Wholesale changes at 2 critical infield positions with true freshmen right before postseason isn’t happening. Chris Burke essentially said all of this during a recent interview.
Your last point is probably the dispositive one. V likely isn’t going to change things at this point. But on paper, I think it makes a lot of sense.

I worry about an Amick miscue hurting us in a big spot. It’s not just his poor throws, either. Tears should’ve had an outfield assist last night but Amick couldn’t make the catch and tag (as Denton would have). That’s not an error, per se, but it’s a non-box score thing that can bite a team.

Your last point is probably the dispositive one. V likely isn’t going to change things at this point. But on paper, I think it makes a lot of sense.

I worry about an Amick miscue hurting us in a big spot. It’s not just his poor throws, either. Tears should’ve had an outfield assist last night but Amick couldn’t make the catch and tag (as Denton would have). That’s not an error, per se, but it’s a non-box score thing that can bite a team.
I’m hoping Amick is done shaking off the rust from his appendectomy. He played good defense before that procedure, but he hasn’t been the same since returning on D. Yes, I was there and agree that Tears should have been rewarded with the MLB caliber laser that he threw on the tag up to 3B.

So you want to replace Backus' and Chapman's homerun power and good batting avg/slugging percentage with Antigua's weaker hitting in hopes that you get marginal improvement at SS fielding and don't Steve Sax the guy with the second worst fielding percentage of the starters (Curley)? I don't like that exchange.

Your biggest issue at this spot is inconsistent playing time, plain and simple. Bargo and Chapman are really the only two that should be considered ( I could entertain arguments for some Peebles due to his both sides of the plate approach he offers), they have shown that they can hit both mid-week and conference, Backus has not.

Bargo hit his best when he was consistent in the lineup, even though he didn't start he was almost guaranteed a swing, same with Chapman when Ensley was struggling (more on that in a second). Bargo hit lights out and fielded extremely well during BA's absence but was immediately replaced once there was a slight down turn and that is when Chapman entered the scene more consistently and then it turned into the same thing, a never ending cycle of DH tom foolery.

So about the Ensley reference, he is a prime example as to what CTV should have done with Chapman and Bargo, keep them grinding and ride it out and you will have consistency these two are to good not to find it, imagine the mind %u#k these two and the others are going through each at bat to try to do something special in hopes that they get more playing time instead of playing their normal game which landed them in Knox in the first place.

just my 2 cents while waiting for the end of work week whistle to blow.

Your biggest issue at this spot is inconsistent playing time, plain and simple. Bargo and Chapman are really the only two that should be considered ( I could entertain arguments for some Peebles due to his both sides of the plate approach he offers), they have shown that they can hit both mid-week and conference, Backus has not.

Bargo hit his best when he was consistent in the lineup, even though he didn't start he was almost guaranteed a swing, same with Chapman when Ensley was struggling (more on that in a second). Bargo hit lights out and fielded extremely well during BA's absence but was immediately replaced once there was a slight down turn and that is when Chapman entered the scene more consistently and then it turned into the same thing, a never ending cycle of DH tom foolery.

So about the Ensley reference, he is a prime example as to what CTV should have done with Chapman and Bargo, keep them grinding and ride it out and you will have consistency these two are to good not to find it, imagine the mind %u#k these two and the others are going through each at bat to try to do something special in hopes that they get more playing time instead of playing their normal game which landed them in Knox in the first place.

just my 2 cents while waiting for the end of work week whistle to blow.
Understand what you are saying but Ensley got to grind it out because of two reasons. He had built up equity from starting last year and he has played an amazing centerfield this season. Bargo and Chapman have zero equity and aren’t playing in the field. DH is also the only position on the team where you can get multiple guys at bats at so it was always going to be somewhat rotational there. It is unfortunate that no player has taken the bull by the horns in their limited time because if one had they would be getting the majority of the abs going forward.

Reactions: taylorvol
The 247 podcast threw this exact scenario out there.. but no I wouldn’t personally want CTV to do that. If it aint broke don’t fix it. Amick isn’t great at 3rd but who knows how taking him off the field would affect his confidence, rhythm, mojo, whatever you want to call it. It’s not easy sitting for 45 minutes and going to the plate cold. I personally would like to see us just stick with Chapman/Peebles at the DH and, for the most part, let them play the whole game.

Understand what you are saying but Ensley got to grind it out because of two reasons. He had built up equity from starting last year and he has played an amazing centerfield this season. Bargo and Chapman have zero equity and aren’t playing in the field. DH is also the only position on the team where you can get multiple guys at bats at so it was always going to be somewhat rotational there. It is unfortunate that no player has taken the bull by the horns in their limited time because if one had they would be getting the majority of the abs going forward.
Tough to grab the bull by the horns when you get pulled after 1 AB and then see your next swing 2 days later, but just my opinion and I obviously understand at this point why not much is gonna change now, but I do feel some thing could have been done earlier to see better production at this area.

It will be interesting to see what it does for these guy's psyche for off season decisions, personally from what I have seen I think Chappy and Bargo will be back to make a splash like some of the others that are here leading the team now but will be moving on, and I hope I'm right because I can see big things happening for both of them here at UT because they are flat out ball players and grinders. Peebles I think we could see him moving on, seems he was highly touted as a transfer and may have been told things that just didn't transpire whether it was his doing or coach's decision again just my opinions.

Tough to grab the bull by the horns when you get pulled after 1 AB and then see your next swing 2 days later, but just my opinion and I obviously understand at this point why not much is gonna change now, but I do feel some thing could have been done earlier to see better production at this area.

It will be interesting to see what it does for these guy's psyche for off season decisions, personally from what I have seen I think Chappy and Bargo will be back to make a splash like some of the others that are here leading the team now but will be moving on, and I hope I'm right because I can see big things happening for both of them here at UT because they are flat out ball players and grinders. Peebles I think we could see him moving on, seems he was highly touted as a transfer and may have been told things that just didn't transpire whether it was his doing or coach's decision again just my opinions.
Tony will do what he feels best. Trust in Tony! Our recruiting class is good, the players coming back are good, and he will hit the portal and bring in quality players as well. Peebles has already transferred once and is a safe bet to be our starting catcher next year so I see no reason why he would move on.

Reactions: Grnhead13
The 247 podcast threw this exact scenario out there.. but no I wouldn’t personally want CTV to do that. If it aint broke don’t fix it. Amick isn’t great at 3rd but who knows how taking him off the field would affect his confidence, rhythm, mojo, whatever you want to call it. It’s not easy sitting for 45 minutes and going to the plate cold. I personally would like to see us just stick with Chapman/Peebles at the DH and, for the most part, let them play the whole game.
I think one thing holding Peebles back from seeing a lot of DH swings is the fact that he is 2nd catcher and if anything happens they don't want to risk burning DH spot, is Bargo capable at catcher if that happens, I would have to say absolutely yes but is it a peace of mind for the coaching staff this late in the season ? I'm sure that would be a hell no lol.

We almost saw this play out in a midweek game recently, Bargo came in to PH at catchers spot and catch while Peebles was DH'ing and then the next inning Peebles entered at dish and all of a sudden the visitors got into a situation where a tie could have happened and we could have seen a an interesting AB in the DH spot.

VN Store

Back