The Death of Sports Illustrated

Crikey.

What am I supposed to read in doctors offices now?
Those magazines that tell you how prince William is out to overthrow the king, and it's not that our government is really dumb, it's because bigfoot and elvis are running things via an underground government!

Reactions: Pennheel and Vol737
I remember being really excited for the 96 college football season preview with Peyton on the cover as a kid and buying one to frame on my wall. At the time felt like it was a big deal that vol football made the cover

1705709976976.jpeg

Reactions: CDB
This has happened to a few of America's classic weekly magazines originally started and owned by classy people and organizations with high
standards. The digital revolution/internet killed weeklies. Time Inc. sold SI (and venerable Time magazine) to Meredith publishing in 2017/2018--a lesser publishing company, and then at some point Meredith sold the magazine/brand to another company, which in turn licensed a separate company to produce SI. You start getting half-a$$ed owners in a totally new digital environment and the brand is never the same. Same thing happened to Newsweek and others major publications. Time magazine is now owned by Salesforce.com (or a company controlled by the CEO/founder of Salesforce). It might a more reputable publisher than Arena media, which has now ruined SI.

This already happened. Time (who owned S.I.) sold to a PE firm in 2018 who, 6 months later, sold to another company to help pay off a billion dollar debt. They fire everyone then rebrand. Rinse & repeat.

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it appears the mighty Sports Illustrated is dead. Employees were told today that everyone would be laid off. Evidently SI was bought and the owner licensed it to a second party to produce content and publish. The second party defaulted on payment so the owner revoked the license. Lots of great memories of the Vols in SI in the past.

Unsurprising, really. I mean, who reads anything these days that’s not on their phones or laptops?

They were once a very big deal and mattered quite a bit but times have changed. “Hey Siri…read me the headlines.”

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it appears the mighty Sports Illustrated is dead. Employees were told today that everyone would be laid off. Evidently SI was bought and the owner licensed it to a second party to produce content and publish. The second party defaulted on payment so the owner revoked the license. Lots of great memories of the Vols in SI in the past.

I used to get the publication in the mail and enjoyed the Swimsuit issues.

I was a subscriber for over 2 decades. My great grandmother bought a subscription when I was 12. SI will have some sentiment to me . It started in 93. Have so many si to this day . Somewhere I have no clue . All the Peyton issues I had lamented and hangs on the back of my toolbox at work. Good memories

Reactions: VolTull
Sports Illustrated had published articles written by fake authors with AI-generated headshots and biographies as they attempted to meet the reduced staffing requirements. They deserve to die.
What's interesting is that people have no idea that @ ½ of every article and ad online is generated this way by "content creators".

Reactions: VolTull
There were so many articles throughout the years on Nore Dame football, even when they were irrelevant. Should have been called Irish illustrated.

Reactions: KnoxLandcruiser
As children, my siblings and I were always avid readers, but the item that I looked forward to was the new edition of SI Kids magazine. I read every issue cover to cover and then moved up to SI by middle school. I continued reading SI all throughout high school and college. The magazine is partially responsible for me being a writing professor today. One of the biggest influences on narrative writing in my life was those SI articles. This is the way of sports media though. Everything is knee jerk, hot takes, or gambling. If you want stories, the Athletic is about all we have left.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back