The Death of Sports Illustrated

Tman44

God Father of Soul
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it appears the mighty Sports Illustrated is dead. Employees were told today that everyone would be laid off. Evidently SI was bought and the owner licensed it to a second party to produce content and publish. The second party defaulted on payment so the owner revoked the license. Lots of great memories of the Vols in SI in the past.

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it appears the mighty Sports Illustrated is dead. Employees were told today that everyone would be laid off. Evidently SI was bought and the owner licensed it to a second party to produce content and publish. The second party defaulted on payment so the owner revoked the license. Lots of great memories of the Vols in SI in the past.

Sports Illustrated had published articles written by fake authors with AI-generated headshots and biographies as they attempted to meet the reduced staffing requirements. They deserve to die.

Still better than some of the stuff that ESPN is putting out there.
Nothing like this on ESPN

sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issues.jpg

Sports Illustrated had published articles written by fake authors with AI-generated headshots and biographies as they attempted to meet the reduced staffing requirements. They deserve to die.

Really? What's your source for this?

I see it now--New York Post is certainly one source.

They subcontracted "product reviews" to some half-assed company, which used AI/fake head shots to save money. Disgusting.

Last edited:

Gotta be honest. Haven't picked up an SI magazine in maybe 10 years and haven't seen relevant content from them in a very long time.

Some companies find ways to adapt and reinvent themselves. Some companies die.

My family subscribed to it when I was a kid in the 80's. I remember checking the mail box for it when I would come home from school on Wednesdays. I loved the glossy pictures .... and the swimsuit issues. Kathy Ireland, especially.

I still have the Peerless Price, Peyton Manning and Pat Summitt covers from the 90's, and the commemorative 1998 Championship edition. I even have the claymation one with Peyton wrestling a Gator. It does mark the end of an era. Kinda sad.

VN Store

Back