The coming DECADE of UT Football is currently on Life Support......

Ok, so I respectively ask this question, why was Fulmer not offered any other coaching jobs, at least that I’m aware of?

If he was please let me know what I missed.
I wasn’t talking about Phil’s job opportunities. I was taking issue with idea that he should’ve been fired in 2004 after winning the East with 2 Freshman starting QBs along with Rick Clausen, not to mention that we had 2 1,000 yard rushers. You don’t fire that coach. That doesn’t mean things were trending perfectly, but they were looking up going into 2005. Now the 2005 season is a different story. You guys have fun with that discussion .

I agree with both camps. Fulmer acted like he was entitled to coast after 98, but he was crafty and political enough to know when he actually needed to work a bit and keep the paychecks flowing. Firing him after 2004 was not going to happen, but we also had 5 years after 98 at that point watching him choke away opportunity after opportunity. I remember knowing he had to go, but also knowing it was going to be difficult to get rid of him, and that he would do JUST enough to keep the wolves at bay. But he was not going to win another NC. He wasn't hungry anymore.

After 2005, it was just painful. The Clawfense that wasn't, and endless excuses and throwing players under the bus. His shocked expression at his final presser was amazing.....I believe he actually felt he was untouchable.

He deserves props for 92-98, but good golly he sure has drawn upon that equity and more.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back