The coming DECADE of UT Football is currently on Life Support......

My dad posted that on here after the 2005 season and got flamed lol.
I thought he should have been gone in 2004.

Some people need to look at Kiffin's comments about the talent here when he took over. It was not very good.

Fulmer was on cruise control after 98 and it was a long slow decline.

While he took the program to highs he also had a large part in the decline after 98 and his stint as AD.

Granted he had help with the bad hiring decision other than Kiffin, but he bears a good deal of responsibility.

Reactions: Remy
I thought he should have been gone in 2004.

Some people need to look at Kiffin's comments about the talent here when he took over. It was not very good.

Fulmer was on cruise control after 98 and it was a long slow decline.

While he took the program to highs he also had a large part in the decline after 98 and his stint as AD.

Granted he had help with the bad hiring decision other than Kiffin, but he bears a good deal of responsibility.
You thought he should’ve been gone in ‘04? We went to the SEC title game, beat Florida, a top 3 UGA team and Bama and won the Cotton Bowl with 2 true freshman starting Qb’s and Rick Clausen. I’ve always thought that 2004 might’ve been Fulmer’s best coaching job.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
You thought he should’ve been gone in ‘04? We went to the SEC title game, beat Florida, a top 3 UGA team and Bama and won the Cotton Bowl with 2 true freshman starting Qb’s and Rick Clausen. I’ve always thought that 2004 might’ve been Fulmer’s best coaching job.

The irony of this season is he actually tied for the SEC East but technically won it by tie breaker. Thus, he back doored into the SECCG. Same thing in ‘07.

But, everyone could see the down hill trajectory.

The irony of this season is he actually tied for the SEC East but technically won it by tie breaker. Thus, he back doored into the SECCG. Same thing in ‘07.

But, everyone could see the down hill trajectory.
We lost 1 SEC game in 2004 to Auburn. UGA lost to us and Auburn. We won the East easily.

It was a great coaching job. The only reason to say that you wanted him gone in 2004 is you're trying to be one of the cool kids.

IDK, the signs that the program was slipping were obvious.

Perhaps. But honestly, Fulmer's one national championship, and the equity his record had built up to that point, and with the higher level of patience this fan base had at that point in time, meant he would be given the opportunity to right the ship. There is plenty of argument to say that was a mistake. However, it was one that would not have gotten strong support at the time.

For all the great things Fulmer did as a HC he tarnished his reputation as the AD. He certainly did not deserve the buyout he got at the AD position. No way he deserved rewarding for hiring of Pruitt. He wanted control of UT athletics.

Last edited:

To me it was obvious that while Fulmer was good at recruiting, coach Cut was the secret sauce as far as coaching was concerned.

Fulmer almost always had superior talent and found ways to lose when coach Cut was not there.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, he should have listened to his wife and retired after 98 and gone out on top and maybe Cutcliffe might have taken over and we wouldn’t be where we are now.

It was a great coaching job. The only reason to say that you wanted him gone in 2004 is you're trying to be one of the cool kids.

I’ve been here since 2008 and I have had this opinion and taken flack for it back then, so no, I couldn’t give a flip if my long held opinion is cool or not.

I’ve been here since 2008 and I have had this opinion and taken flack for it back then, so no, I couldn’t give a flip if my long held opinion is cool or not.
Went 10-3 with 2 of the losses against an undefeated team. Beat UGA, Florida and Alabama. Played in the SECCG. Won big in a bowl game ..... Fahr the coach!!!

I get that Fulmer deserves a lot of blame for a lot of things. But no rational administration was going to run him after 2004.

Last edited:
"Fulmer almost always had superior talent and found ways to lose when coach Cut was not there."

Correct. Fulmer was a great recruiter. At best a mediocre coach.

To me it was obvious that while Fulmer was good at recruiting, coach Cut was the secret sauce as far as coaching was concerned.

Fulmer almost always had superior talent and found ways to lose when coach Cut was not there.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, he should have listened to his wife and retired after 98 and gone out on top and maybe Cutcliffe might have taken over and we wouldn’t be where we are now.
Doesn’t change the fact that he shouldn’t have been fired after going 9-2 or 10-2 during the regular season and winning the East. If that happened no decent coach in their right mind would ever have wanted to coach here again. Not that one has since 2008.

Reactions: GAVol
Doesn’t change the fact that he shouldn’t have been fired after going 9-2 or 10-2 during the regular season and winning the East. If that happened no decent coach in their right mind would ever have wanted to coach here again. Not that one has since 2008.

Ok, so I respectively ask this question, why was Fulmer not offered any other coaching jobs, at least that I’m aware of?

If he was please let me know what I missed.

Went 10-3 with 2 of the losses against an undefeated team. Beat UGA, Florida and Alabama. Played in the SECCG. Won big in a bowl game ..... Fahr the coach!!!

I get that Fulmer deserves a lot of blame for a lot of things. But no rational administration was going to run him after 2004.
In hindsight, 06 and 07 look alright compared to most of what we've seen since. However, it was obvious before 05 that Fulmer was coasting to some extent and that the rest of the SEC contenders were getting in front of him. I look at it from the perspective that, if a change had been made in 2005, our worst case hire would have been Butch Davis or Gary Patterson. I don't think we would have seen half the bad we've witnessed in the past decade in a half with either of those coaches.

VN Store

Back