The Coffee Thread

I’ve been a dedicated aero press guy for years. A month or so ago I decided to try out something else after hearing about these products on a podcast I listen to regularly. I have come to really like this combo for a more than one cup option.
Great tunable temp kettle.
Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control 1.7L Double Wall Keep Warm, Anti-scald Tea Kettle 100% Stainless Steel BPA-Free Hot Tea Kettle, Auto Shut-Off, Boil-Dry Protection, 1500W Fast Boiling-120V

This for the press. It does a great job. Keeps coffee hot for a while too.

Secura French Press Coffee Maker, 304 Grade Stainless Steel Insulated Coffee Press with 2 Extra Screens, 34oz (1 Litre), Silver

I still like the aero press but this combo is really great with coarse ground beans.

French press is my go to lazy day coffee.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I just started using a French press since my Keurig craped out. I got to say it turns out pretty good, and isn't as much a hassle as I expected.

What systems do you guys use? Im probably going to get something legit in the next year. I grind my beans but just use a cuisineart
Love a good Single origin Starbuck...pre Covid. Howsever, afterward im relegated to single origin Keurig Kroger Brand. Skim milk, 1 splenda.

I just went through 7 pages and unless I missed it I did not see the best coffee posted.

Black Rifle Coffee Company - BRCC. Thank me later.

Those that like the chocolate notes get the Freedom Fuel. For the best medium blend get Coffee Saves or Just Black depending on your personal taste. The Just Decaf is really good as well. If you like the lighter roast, get Silencer Smooth.

BRCC is veteran owned, based in SLC, and get their beans from Brazil and Columbia. They give part of their profits back to veterans, first responder, etc. projects.

I've seen the BRCC bags on shelves at a couple of LGS in the Nashville area, but I always wonder how long they sit there. Maybe I will try. We've been ordering from Drew's Brews for awhile. I bought a roast called African Smoke from a shop called JJs that used to be on 21st Ave in Nashville. JJs closed a little while back so I started ordering directly from the roaster (Bean Central). First order, was fine. Second order, the order was screwed up and they didn't fix. Third order, the order was screwed up and the coffee tasted like a dog's ass. I think they tried some sort of quicky method to get a batch out and they didn't respond to me reporting that my order was bag light or on the taste being off. Sucks because I was an avid drinker their stuff for almost 20 years but their customer service just plain sucked.

I got myself a Hario V60 and have been making Japanese-style iced coffee (a pourover over ice in the carafe). I like it much more than cold brew- less stomach upset and jitters.

I've converted my cold brew coffee setup into a cold brew tea setup.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
Updated cold brew for summer heat...

Place large fine mesh bag in 5 gallon bucket, add a couple of inches of water, dump a 12 oz bag of ground coffee in while adding water with sprayer (to avoid dry clumps), repeat until I’ve got 6 bags of coffee and bucket almost full, put on fridge for 24 hours, and remove bag o’ coffee and put in colander sitting in large mixing bowl (to catch remaining drips to add back to bucket). Yields 4+ gallons of delicious cold brew.

I like mine with heavy cream - shaken, not stirred.

I got myself a Hario V60 and have been making Japanese-style iced coffee (a pourover over ice in the carafe). I like it much more than cold brew- less stomach upset and jitters.

I've converted my cold brew coffee setup into a cold brew tea setup.
Ethiopia Yirgacheffe makes for a darn good Japanese style iced filter coffee.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
We have a Capresso Ultima espresso machine and we use a 5 bean medium espresso blend from a local coffee roaster. Great espresso and wonderful espresso machine.

I was in the coffee business for 37 years. Manufacturer and distribution. I'll not mention the company as it's really not important but they are a major player. My coffee of choice, McCafe medium dark roast. Bunn coffee unit. I can brew it as light or dark as I like. Ready in 3 mins. Sometimes it's the simple things in life. ;)

V60 is my go to for pour over, unless I’m making coffee for 3 or more people then I’ll use a Chemex.
Can’t go wrong with a chemex.

I just got a Flair espresso “machine”. There’s a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it makes great espresso. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re making more than two shots though, as the work flow to make more than two can be time consuming. Also there’s to no way to steam milk with it but if you like straight espresso or have another way of frothing milk, it’s great.

Last edited:
EF6BC16F-EE5B-4A51-B9D8-D1BB296CB35E.jpegAAAB476A-EE1B-4A70-8998-6D45DE57CDA9.jpegEspresso shot from this morning.

Medium roast natural process Ethiopia Sidamo that I roasted Tuesday. Took the roast a bit darker than I normally would since I was planning on using it for espresso.

Was seriously one of the best shots I’ve pulled recently. The fruit flavor which natural Ethiopian coffees are known for really shown through. Very creamy texture, reminded me of dark chocolate covered raspberries. No bitter or smoky flavors that can sometimes come through in darker roasts.

I could drink it over and over. I might have to test the limits of my caffeine tolerance today.

The roaster I had those bottles from has a Yirgacheffe available right now. I may have to go get it.
Do it! You won’t regret. My favorite local roaster offers bottled cold brew Ethiopia Kochere. As a hot pour over it has a very prominent lime flavor that I don’t like but the cold brew is nice.

They’re a new shop and don’t offer a lot of beans yet but the ones they do are very good. Last year they had a anaerobic process coffee that tasted like cinnamon and cola. Never had a coffee like it before.

Of the main well known coffee brands sold at the main grocers (Walmart, Food City,etc) what is your favorite? Also what is your favorite budget-conscious Keurig coffee brand? Just looking for recommendations.

Of the main well known coffee brands sold at the main grocers (Walmart, Food City,etc) what is your favorite? Also what is your favorite budget-conscious Keurig coffee brand? Just looking for recommendations.
Honestly McCafe breakfast blend is pretty solid.

For Keurig, bed bath and beyond has a pretty decent selection and with their once a month 25% coupon you can usually find something for a good price. But if you don’t mind going to places like bargain hunt, you can usually find the some of same coffee pods for really cheap.

VN Store

Back