The Cocktail Thread

Dink (or anyone). I need your recommendation on a easy something I can put in a yeti cup for the beach. Something a little sweet and fruity for the gals but not too sweet. Something quick, easy, simple. Throw something on top of some vodka and or rum. Any suggestions?

In the past I just put in some fruit juices and stuff.

Strawberry or Cucumber Mojito.

Dink (or anyone). I need your recommendation on a easy something I can put in a yeti cup for the beach. Something a little sweet and fruity for the gals but not too sweet. Something quick, easy, simple. Throw something on top of some vodka and or rum. Any suggestions?

In the past I just put in some fruit juices and stuff.

Haven't had pub access for a while but Can't go wrong wit batching a Mai Tai in your yeti.

Reactions: 1 person
Late to the party, but a Summer Hummer (vodka, sprite, lemonade) is the easiest drink and it's really refreshing. As long as you don't go heavy on the lemonade, you can drink them all day.

Pro tip: Sprite Zero + Minute Maid Light will save you a lot of calories and you won't notice the difference. This is probably the main reason why I go with this cocktail.

I guess it wouldn't do that well in a yeti cup, tho, seeing as how the carbonation won't last.

Dink, are you talking about a traditional Ma i Tai? When I went to Hawaii they served them everywhere. All contained fresh pineapple juice. Come to find out, real Mai Tais don't contain pineapple juice. You may be the one that mentioned that here. Anyway, they were delicious but weren't real Mai Tais.

Late to the party, but a Summer Hummer (vodka, sprite, lemonade) is the easiest drink and it's really refreshing. As long as you don't go heavy on the lemonade, you can drink them all day.

Pro tip: Sprite Zero + Minute Maid Light will save you a lot of calories and you won't notice the difference. This is probably the main reason why I go with this cocktail.

I guess it wouldn't do that well in a yeti cup, tho, seeing as how the carbonation won't last.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Depends how quickly you drink them as to how long they'll last. :)

Dink, are you talking about a traditional Ma i Tai? When I went to Hawaii they served them everywhere. All contained fresh pineapple juice. Come to find out, real Mai Tais don't contain pineapple juice. You may be the one that mentioned that here. Anyway, they were delicious but weren't real Mai Tais.

No pineapple, sir. That drink is already sweet enough with rum, curacao, and the orgeat. In fact, I usually up the ante on the lime and if I'm feeling drunk and putting my purism aside, I'll toss in a few dashes of ango bitters to truly balance it out.

That sort of thing is acceptable in tiki, but adding a whole new juice (especially one with as intense and polarizing flavors as pineapple) really takes away the identity of the beverage. Mai Tai's have a pretty unique flavor.

But generally, yes, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the classics. I think the worst thing that happened to Old Fashioned-s and Martinis was the 80's. That's when people started chucking in those godawful red cherries and whole orange slices in the former and then the Kangaroo Cocktail (which originated from the vodka influx of the 50's) all the sudden became the standard Martini and took all the flavor out of the drink.

Sorry, my friend and I were drinking whiskey and talking about these sorts of things earlier.

One of my favorite summer cocktails is a gin rickey

Do yourself a favor while there's still some summer left and nab a Fizzini. Squeeze up some lime juice, put it on ice with a jug of purified water, and a bottle of St. George Botanivore, and you can carbonate your own water right there on the porch while your kids mow the lawn.

Love a good Gin Rickey.

No pineapple, sir. That drink is already sweet enough with rum, curacao, and the orgeat. In fact, I usually up the ante on the lime and if I'm feeling drunk and putting my purism aside, I'll toss in a few dashes of ango bitters to truly balance it out.

That sort of thing is acceptable in tiki, but adding a whole new juice (especially one with as intense and polarizing flavors as pineapple) really takes away the identity of the beverage. Mai Tai's have a pretty unique flavor.

But generally, yes, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the classics. I think the worst thing that happened to Old Fashioned-s and Martinis was the 80's. That's when people started chucking in those godawful red cherries and whole orange slices in the former and then the Kangaroo Cocktail (which originated from the vodka influx of the 50's) all the sudden became the standard Martini and took all the flavor out of the drink.

Sorry, my friend and I were drinking whiskey and talking about these sorts of things earlier.

I don't know that I've had a real Mai Tai. Looking forward to trying one.

Riffing on a Last Word at my favorite Franklin spot right this second. It's the same recipe, except you replace the Gin with peaty scotch. I used Laphroaig.

It's surprisingly balanced.

Just added a new drink to the party rotation. Coke floats are a pretty good dessert beverage:

Whipped vodka
Coke zero
Heavy cream
Vanilla
Ice

I've got a dilemma. I tried a Mezcal Negroni at Lonesome Dove and loved it, delicious! I've since gotten it at 2 different other places and something about them was overly bitter. I'm wondering if it is the Campari? I'm not sure how the one from Lonesome Dove was so much better or what was different.

VN Store

Back