The Cocktail Thread

volinbham

VN GURU
We have a beer, whiskey/whisky, wine thread - how about a cocktail thread.

I know Dink has some good insights.

I'm currently exploring some gin cocktails.

Sipping a gin fizz currently: 2 oz Tanqueray #10, 2 splash lime juice, tsp simple syrup, 2 dashes grapefruit bitters, shaken with ice, tallboy topped with soda.

perfect warm weather refresher.

List 'em if you got 'em

Reactions: 5 people

Sipping a gin fizz currently: 2 oz Tanqueray #10, 2 splash lime juice, tsp simple syrup, 2 dashes grapefruit bitters, shaken with ice, tallboy topped with soda.

List 'em if you got 'em

I love tanqueray. I usually just go gin and tonic with a squeeze of lime. A friend of mine recommended "Brokers" gin. It's a lot less expensive and it's about as good imo.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My go to is an Old Fashioned.

1 cube sugar in the raw
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes smoked orange bitters
2 oz rye (currently using Knob Creek)
1 oz Hochstadter's Slow & Low
orange peel
1 large ice cube

Muddle sugar cube and bitters then turn glass to completely coat inside. Add ice cube then whiskey and peel.

Not a huge fan of gin but I can handle a gin drink made with Sapphire.

I'm a fan of a well done Sazerac. You've got to coat the glass with Herbsaint though.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0guazCmOLX4[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Jack Daniels honey lemonade.
1 can of minutemade lemonade
1-2 shots of Jack Daniels honey.
You can thank me before and after. Most delicious drink ever! Freeze the JD honey for better results.

List 'em if you got 'em

I used to drink those sloe gin fizzes -- also liked Amaretto stone sours -- now days its just a Blue Moon or 2 during a Vols game

I don't do a ton of cocktails. I like a good Mojito or Old Fashioned but if I'm at home I don't usually go to the trouble. Summertime cocktail at the house is typically bourbon and ginger ale with a lime wedge. Quick and simple.

I don't do a ton of cocktails. I like a good Mojito or Old Fashioned but if I'm at home I don't usually go to the trouble. Summertime cocktail at the house is typically bourbon and ginger ale with a lime wedge. Quick and simple.

Bourbon and ginger ale is my go to also. Have you ever tried this for your ginger ale?

http://www.blenheimgingerale.com

I haven't but I've heard of it. I don't think I've ever seen it in a store. I just saw the store locator in the link has it at one place in Nashville.

I ordered a case on line directly from them. I ordered some of all the varieties. The hot works great for mixing with your bourbon. It will light you up if you drink it straight though. Mass General, downtown Knoxville has it.

I ordered a case on line directly from them. I ordered some of all the varieties. The hot works great for mixing with your bourbon. It will light you up if you drink it straight though. Mass General, downtown Knoxville has it.

Yeah, I see you can order from their website. I'm going to have to order some. Thanks

Summer is the perfect time for classic tiki and/or other run based cocktails. Classic mojito or a daiquiri on the rocks is always super refreshing.

This Friday, McScrooge's is actually going to be doing a classic Mai tai cocktail tasting for national mai tai day.

Classic Mai Tai: Jamaican rum, Martinique rum, genuine curaçao, orgeat syrup, simple syrup, and lime juice.

Last edited:
Summer is the perfect time for classic tiki and/or other run based cocktails. Classic mojito or a daiquiri on the rocks is always super refreshing.

This Friday, McScrooge's is actually going to be doing a classic Mai tai cocktail tasting for national mai tai day.

Classic Mai Tai: Jamaican rum, Martinique rum, genuine curaçao, orgeat syrup, simple syrup, and lime juice.

No pineapple juice. Best mai Tia I ever had was in Hawaii. I'm guessing it was the fresh pineapple juice.

1 oz. white rum
1/2 oz. orgeat syrup
1/2 oz. orange Curaçao
2 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. orange juice
Whalers Dark rum float

The orgeat can be hard to find. And when you do it's just flavored syrup - which most bars will use so it's still fine to use. My dad made his own orgeat which he said was easy and it was good

List 'em if you got 'em

I really like Gin Rickeys.

1 oz. white rum
1/2 oz. orgeat syrup
1/2 oz. orange Curaçao
2 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. orange juice
Whalers Dark rum float

The orgeat can be hard to find. And when you do it's just flavored syrup - which most bars will use so it's still fine to use. My dad made his own orgeat which he said was easy and it was good

Luxardo makes one of the best orgeat syrups, if you can find it.

Not a huge fan of gin but I can handle a gin drink made with Sapphire.

I'm a fan of a well done Sazerac. You've got to coat the glass with Herbsaint though.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0guazCmOLX4[/youtube]

I'm mostly a whiskey guy, but I don't always feel like it in the summer. So the sharpness and very slight sweetness of the sazerac makes it one of my favorite summer cocktails

I use Pernod as the rinse and it works well

Last edited:
Jack Daniels honey lemonade.
1 can of minutemade lemonade
1-2 shots of Jack Daniels honey.
You can thank me before and after. Most delicious drink ever! Freeze the JD honey for better results.

Minute Maid canned lemonade is foul. Use Simply Lemonade or Chick-fil-A. And replace JD honey with 101. Increase ratio to 1:1 as evening progresses. Hide car keys. Enjoy.

No pineapple juice. Best mai Tia I ever had was in Hawaii. I'm guessing it was the fresh pineapple juice.

Authentic Mai Tais do not use any orange or pineapple juice. I learned that in Hawaii. That recipe is pretty much spot on, and some would float a little black rum on top, garnish with a flower, pineapple, or cherry

Last edited:

VN Store

Back