The Cocktail Thread

Authentic Mai Tais do not use any orange or pineapple juice. I learned that in Hawaii. That recipe is pretty much spot on, and some would float a little black rum on top, garnish with a flower, pineapple, or cherry

The recipe I posted is the original as made by Trader Vic.

*Corrected mistake

Last edited:
Authentic Mai Tais do not use any orange or pineapple juice. I learned that in Hawaii. That recipe is pretty much spot on, and some would float a little black rum on top, garnish with a flower, pineapple, or cherry

When I was in Hawaii, they all had pineapple juice in them and they were awesome. Maybe not the real recipe but they were goooood! We went on a big catamaran sailboat, snorkel cruise and they had a a mai tai tap on board. I'm not sure how I even got back on the boat.

Look for the original Zombie recipe from Donn's Beachcomber. If cinnamon and grapefruit are not listed among the ingredients, then you aren't looking at the original.

Donn's had a very strict limit of two/guest for a reason. These things are WAY more potent than advertised.

I'm mostly a whiskey guy, but I don't always feel like it in the summer. So the sharpness and very slight sweetness of the sazerac makes it one of my favorite summer cocktails

I use Pernod as the rinse and it works well

I've not compared them side by side. Is Pernod cheaper and close enough?

I used to drink those sloe gin fizzes -- also liked Amaretto stone sours -- now days its just a Blue Moon or 2 during a Vols game

Amaretto sours are good though, it's been a while since I've had one of those.

1.0 oz Reposado (preferably Corralejo)
0.5 Mezcal (Vago or del Maguey)
0.75 Tawny Port or 0.5 Manzanilla Sherry
0.5 Sweet Vermut (Punt de Mas or Carpano Antica)
Sorghum Bitters
Cardamom Bitters
Stir, serve with a big rock, flame a lime peel.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Or you can quit ****ing around and shoot Fernet til you vomit the sweet sight of blood.

Last edited:
We have a beer, whiskey/whisky, wine thread - how about a cocktail thread.

I know Dink has some good insights.

I'm currently exploring some gin cocktails.

Sipping a gin fizz currently: 2 oz Tanqueray #10, 2 splash lime juice, tsp simple syrup, 2 dashes grapefruit bitters, shaken with ice, tallboy topped with soda.

perfect warm weather refresher.

List 'em if you got 'em

Shake it for 15 minutes*

;-P

It's a sweet drink. Not something you'd actually try to get drunk with.

Not a cocktail but a nice treat is to pour some butterscotch liquor over some good vanilla ice cream.

Yeah but I save straight Retto or sherry for desert pairings.

Sweet stuff makes me nauseous.

Tell y'all what... I have some filled out notebooks littered with some "sweet jesus" sips. How would you guys (bham) feel about me slinging a .pdf or sporatic pic of each?

Nothing dip****s like me love doing more than learnin' folks on libations.

Yeah but I save straight Retto or sherry for desert pairings.

Sweet stuff makes me nauseous.

Even in small amounts?

You're not into ports I guess? A good port makes for a nice digestif. Sandeman 20 Year Tawney is one of my favorites.

Tell y'all what... I have some filled out notebooks littered with some "sweet jesus" sips. How would you guys (bham) feel about me slinging a .pdf or sporatic pic of each?

Nothing dip****s like me love doing more than learnin' folks on libations.

Sounds good to me. I was hoping you'd show in this thread.

Even in small amounts?

You're not into ports I guess? A good port makes for a nice digestif. Sandeman 20 Year Tawney is one of my favorites.

Only as components to balance out bitter, tart, and floral notes in drinks.

Demimara and agave nectar are as heavy as I like to go.

Vodka & club soda with a lime wedge...repeat often.

This is the one me and the wife love, and practically 0 calories. Fresh squeezed lemon subs in when limes are off season and expensive. I do not care for sweet drinks.

A good variation is La Croix or one of the slightly flavored Deer Park sodas used as the mixer (not sweet, just a hint of raspberry or lemon).

This is the one me and the wife love, and practically 0 calories. Fresh squeezed lemon subs in when limes are off season and expensive. I do not care for sweet drinks.

A good variation is La Croix or one of the slightly flavored Deer Park sodas used as the mixer (not sweet, just a hint of raspberry or lemon).

La Croix grapefruit is really good. :rock:

Your right, doc. I suppose I was referring to the non-alcohol calories. Good to know the per- shot value. :salute:

Well, except for the vodka. But it's not bad comparatively. Club soda or La Croix is the way to go though. I don't know how many times I've met folks with no clue about the calories in standard tonic water.

ETA - wow, I took too long on this post and was way late.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back