The Championships, Wimbledon

Murray is close, but too far from winning the first for a Brit in 60 years. Don't see it happening for Andy.

(1) The final is a win-win for tennis fans. Lots of great angles regardless of who wins.

(2) As a Federer fan, once he was in the final, I would've chosen the Murray matchup if it was up to me. I believe the occasion and pressure will be too much for Murray to put aside and play his best. Dealing with pressure is not Murray's strong suit. If he wins, it'll be a phenomenal achievement.

Second, Murray can out play Federer, no doubt. But Murray cannot wipe Federer off the court like Tsonga can. As we've seen too often recently, once Federer realizes a player like Tsonga, Soderling, or Del Potro is in the kill zone, Federer resigns himself to defeat. Take that option away, and Federer stands at least an even chance of victory.

(3) I could be wrong, but I believe Federer will walk on court Sunday feeling minimal pressure and nerves. He will be confident and assured that he is the better player. He has to also know that this is one of his last opportunities to win a grand slam. He will be motivated not to let it slip away.

(4) I'll admit pre-match that I won't be too upset if Murray can pull this match out. It will change his life and, I think, it'll change Murray's career for the better. Murray would be a god in Great Britain for all eternity.

(5) Coincidentally, growing up, Ivan Lendl was my favorite tennis player. I can't explain it. Ivan never won Wimbledon, but can feel that he played a huge part in helping Murray to victory on Sunday should it happen. Ivan is the man.

(6) What is the over/under on the number of camera pans over to (a) Murray's mother as she shouts "come on, andy" with clinched fist and (b) gavin rossdale slapping the front rail in support for Federer? Frankly, I don't care what Murray's mother thinks nor how Federer's parents, wife, and gavin rossdale react to a good/bad shot. Focus on player reactions in those moments.

(7) Based on his commentary thus far over the past two weeks, I feel confident that John McEnroe smokes high grade English doobies from the streets of Peckham each morning before going on air. Expect more of the same Sunday. If Federer wins, J-mac will trip over himself to kiss RF's ass and be the first to call him the GOAT. Again. After he has called both Rafa and Djoker the same this Wimbledon.

(8) Finally, I'm too much of a Federer homer to make any kind of reasoned prediction. Rally caps are ready.

I liked Lendl back in the day.

How long has he been coaching Murray?

I liked Lendl back in the day too. Then I spent a week serving as a rules official for his daughters in the American Junior Golf Association and had him following us around (obviously). Never met a bigger prick in my life. All the more reason to cheer against Murray (as if I needed any more).

As an aside to that, that week I also met John Becksvoort in the Junior Am tournament.. He was shocked that I had any idea who he was.

(1) The final is a win-win for tennis fans. Lots of great angles regardless of who wins.

(2) As a Federer fan, once he was in the final, I would've chosen the Murray matchup if it was up to me. I believe the occasion and pressure will be too much for Murray to put aside and play his best. Dealing with pressure is not Murray's strong suit. If he wins, it'll be a phenomenal achievement.

Second, Murray can out play Federer, no doubt. But Murray cannot wipe Federer off the court like Tsonga can. As we've seen too often recently, once Federer realizes a player like Tsonga, Soderling, or Del Potro is in the kill zone, Federer resigns himself to defeat. Take that option away, and Federer stands at least an even chance of victory.

I do agree with this. But I should note that he's also done this against Rafa and Djoker on occassion. I wish I could rattle off examples, but I can definitely recall Federer, when playing those guys, reach a point where he just starts dumping forehand after forehand into the bottom of the net. Like, literally, the bottom of the net.

In order for Murray to win, I'm not so sure it matters so much from a tactical perspective, but I think he needs to borrow some grit and tenacity from Rafa for the day. The key, as I see it, is that Murray needs to stretch the match to five sets. It's in that fifth set where Fed will generally enter into that "forehand into the bottom of the net mode". It's interesting to note that the two recent wins Fed has over Djokovic in majors were four set wins. If Djoke was able to extend it out to a fifth set, Djoke won. This, of course, raises an interesting question about why Djoke completely tanked the 4th set, but I'm not in the man's head, so I have no clue what thoughts were clouding up his headspace, but I still think his fourth set performance was borderline bush league.

(3) I could be wrong, but I believe Federer will walk on court Sunday feeling minimal pressure and nerves. He will be confident and assured that he is the better player. He has to also know that this is one of his last opportunities to win a grand slam. He will be motivated not to let it slip away.

I think both Murray and Fed will be feeling pressure. For different reasons, obviously, and maybe Murray will feel a touch more. But deep down in his psyche -- in a place so deep that it will never be revealed in an interview -- Fed has to know this is probably his last shot at a major. He isn't beating Djokovic in a five setter on an outdoor hard court. And he isn't beating Rafa on a clay court. And, next Wimbledon, he'll be a year older. He is a (sometimes infuriatingly) confident man, but he knows what is at stake.

(4) I'll admit pre-match that I won't be too upset if Murray can pull this match out. It will change his life and, I think, it'll change Murray's career for the better. Murray would be a god in Great Britain for all eternity.

I've always felt bad for Murray. It would be nice to see him pull a major out.

(5) Coincidentally, growing up, Ivan Lendl was my favorite tennis player. I can't explain it. Ivan never won Wimbledon, but can feel that he played a huge part in helping Murray to victory on Sunday should it happen. Ivan is the man.

Hahaha. I've never hated a tennis player as much as I hated Ivan Lendl. I can't explain it. I was just a kid. But kids can hate, and I hated Lendl.

(6) What is the over/under on the number of camera pans over to (a) Murray's mother as she shouts "come on, andy" with clinched fist and (b) gavin rossdale slapping the front rail in support for Federer? Frankly, I don't care what Murray's mother thinks nor how Federer's parents, wife, and gavin rossdale react to a good/bad shot. Focus on player reactions in those moments.

When was the last time Gavin Rossdale made an album? Is he still considered a celebrity? Hell, when was the last time Gwen Stefani made an album? What do they do with their lives?

(7) Based on his commentary thus far over the past two weeks, I feel confident that John McEnroe smokes high grade English doobies from the streets of Peckham each morning before going on air. Expect more of the same Sunday. If Federer wins, J-mac will trip over himself to kiss RF's ass and be the first to call him the GOAT. Again. After he has called both Rafa and Djoker the same this Wimbledon.

He does give A LOT of props to Fed, Rafa, and Djoke. No doubt about it. But I like Johnny Mac as a commentator. My buddy and I have been having laughs for years on the basis of the fact that every single tennis match Johnny Mac does color for he will make multiple references to (a) kicking the serve out wide, (b) coming into the net more, (c) referencing the lower and higher parts of the net, and (d) telling an old story about him playing against Borg.

Always good for a couple back and forth text exchanges with my buddy during a match.

(8) Finally, I'm too much of a Federer homer to make any kind of reasoned prediction. Rally caps are ready.

I think Fed will win, but I won't be shocked if Murray wins. He has a puncher's chance.

Not very long. Maybe 6 months?

I hated Lendl.

Not only did I spend my mowing money on an official Ivan Lendl Adidas collared tennis shirt (that I wore to every match I played for two or three years) but I also had the official Ivan Lendl VHS tennis instruction tape. I practiced the wind-up forehand to perfection.

Didn't realize that Murray has a winning record against Federer (8-7). Nadal is the only other active player that has one.

Booooring. Not even a match. Actually, I appreciate when a player is playing well, but you know, hard to get into when a player is wiping the court with the opponent.

One thing about being either injured, sick, or hobbled in some way, players seem to reach for that other level. Aggie is doing a pretty good job of it, now.

No love for the women-folk, guys? You mean everyone is out playing golf and drinking beer but me? *sigh

I think Serena realized she can't put it on cruise control and win. The second set was a fluke.

Didn't realize that Murray has a winning record against Federer (8-7). Nadal is the only other active player that has one.

I thought there was somebody else who had a winning record against Fed. I read an article where they talked about this, but I'm not gonna be able to find it.

I believe the only player who has a winning record against Nadal is, brace yourselves, Nikolay Davydenko.

No love for the women-folk, guys? You mean everyone is out playing golf and drinking beer but me? *sigh

I watched the third set. I had a feeling Serena might give up a set, but I never thought she was in danger of losing.

I'm glad she won. I like Serena.

Also, I had two hundred bucks on her. :)

VN Store

Back