The Athletic - “The Worst Coaching Search Ever?”

No, I believe facts. Now you want argue about the veracity of those 6 different topics. But other than 67’ the five are completely legit in terms of what was awarded and how good those teams are. View attachment 401760
I believe the governing body. But you everyone gets a trophy gens keep on believing. I’m sure bama added another that you believe as well.

Unlike Phil, Johnny would never want to see the program suffer like it did in 2020 because he truly loved the university.
I'm not convinced he did anything to hurt the University intentionally. With the money and ego associated at this level people often think they can do better than whoever is actually making the decisions. They act out of a perverted sense of trying to "save" the program and don't realize they are doing the opposite.

Currie was a disaster and would have done as much harm as Fulmer did. Getting to the point where those were our two options is the actual problem in my mind. I truly believe Danny White is the right person for the AD and we are already seeing a vast improvement on the field. We should expect that UT athletics as a whole continue to thrive under White's leadership.

Finally, there isn't just hope but progress..... Thank God and GBO!

#4 might be Mike Gundy, who supposedly met with Currie in Dallas. But like Mike does, used us to get another pay raise.

I'm not convinced he did anything to hurt the University intentionally. With the money and ego associated at this level people often think they can do better than whoever is actually making the decisions. They act out of a perverted sense of trying to "save" the program and don't realize they are doing the opposite.

Currie was a disaster and would have done as much harm as Fulmer did. Getting to the point where those were our two options is the actual problem in my mind. I truly believe Danny White is the right person for the AD and we are already seeing a vast improvement on the field. We should expect that UT athletics as a whole continue to thrive under White's leadership.

Finally, there isn't just hope but progress..... Thank God and GBO!

I’d be more willing to buy this if he didn’t sabotage a coaching search (whether Currie was a good AD or not, what Fulmer did was horrific) then also, hiring your long time buddy and letting him get 750K when you knew that Pruitt was going to be fire and then getting your full buyout after you “retired” after sabotaging and taking over the AD and MAKING IT WORSE doesn’t deserve sympathy in my eyes.

From David Ubben (this isn’t random, The Athletic is doing a series on college football coaching searches).

Article: Inside the 2017 search that turned the coaching carousel into a carnival

Nothing completely shocking and seems to be written from a Currie perspective but some interesting stuff.

1) We met and talked with Chip Kelly but was never offered the job.

2) Currie talked with Dave Doeren BEFORE Schiano Sunday.

3) Booster Charlie Anderson talked to JOHN HARBAUGH about the job.

4) According to a source, one head coach wouldn’t take the job because of Fulmer: “And former Vols head coach Philip Fulmer was exerting his influence behind the scenes, attempting to “advise” Davenport and ultimately wrestle control away from Currie — who served as Tennessee’s executive assistant athletic director when Fulmer was fired in November 2008. Fulmer, too, was making calls to candidates before Currie did.

“There was, in my opinion, a group working to discredit John Currie,” a source said.

That source said at least one head coach who was interviewed for the Tennessee job said he wouldn’t take it because of Fulmer’s meddling and the feeling that, with Fulmer pulling strings, the new coach wouldn’t get a fair chance to succeed.

5) Tennessee had a meeting set up with Dan Mullen but he took the Florida job before the meeting. That is when Currie moved to finish it up with Schiano.

6) I don’t know why but Brohm was never mentioned as a serious candidate in the article or mentioned how Hyams broke the news that Brohm was hired.

7) Part of the issue with Currie going to LA? No Wi-Fi on his flight to meet with Leach. He also didn’t check his phone and text Beverly Davenport back because he was interviewing Leach.
even if half of that is true, we are better off. Moving on...

Can we all just move on from Fulmer? I'm so tired of it. He won us a championship. It was a good time, but by today's standards it is ancient history. His more current history with the university was a complete failure. Now he's gone. Let's all just let him fade into history like he deserves to (for better or for worse).

I’d be more willing to buy this if he didn’t sabotage a coaching search (whether Currie was a good AD or not, what Fulmer did was horrific) then also, hiring your long time buddy and letting him get 750K when you knew that Pruitt was going to be fire and then getting your full buyout after you “retired” after sabotaging and taking over the AD and MAKING IT WORSE doesn’t deserve sympathy in my eyes.

1_yLAviNfSVS0o7OTvCys4Mw.jpeg

From David Ubben (this isn’t random, The Athletic is doing a series on college football coaching searches).

Article: Inside the 2017 search that turned the coaching carousel into a carnival

Nothing completely shocking and seems to be written from a Currie perspective but some interesting stuff.

1) We met and talked with Chip Kelly but was never offered the job.

2) Currie talked with Dave Doeren BEFORE Schiano Sunday.

3) Booster Charlie Anderson talked to JOHN HARBAUGH about the job.

4) According to a source, one head coach wouldn’t take the job because of Fulmer: “And former Vols head coach Philip Fulmer was exerting his influence behind the scenes, attempting to “advise” Davenport and ultimately wrestle control away from Currie — who served as Tennessee’s executive assistant athletic director when Fulmer was fired in November 2008. Fulmer, too, was making calls to candidates before Currie did.

“There was, in my opinion, a group working to discredit John Currie,” a source said.

That source said at least one head coach who was interviewed for the Tennessee job said he wouldn’t take it because of Fulmer’s meddling and the feeling that, with Fulmer pulling strings, the new coach wouldn’t get a fair chance to succeed.

5) Tennessee had a meeting set up with Dan Mullen but he took the Florida job before the meeting. That is when Currie moved to finish it up with Schiano.

6) I don’t know why but Brohm was never mentioned as a serious candidate in the article or mentioned how Hyams broke the news that Brohm was hired.

7) Part of the issue with Currie going to LA? No Wi-Fi on his flight to meet with Leach. He also didn’t check his phone and text Beverly Davenport back because he was interviewing Leach.
What, no Gruden offer?

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say Pruitt was the worse, but he surly had to be close.
Pointless…..it is like arguing which of the three stooges was the stupidest. It was a collective effort as far as I am concerned. Each of “our” three stooges showed incompetence in his own unique and incomparable way

If I suggested sympathy it was unintended and I agree with you. I simply mean that he likely thought he was doing what was best but clearly was hurting the University. Nothing he did as AD worked well but I can't imagine that was intentional. I had forgotten about the Steele situation..... Errr....

This whole thing is probably more sour grapes from Curry. He always was Haslams puppet. Schiano wasn’t targeted by anyone as a head coaching hire except Haslam for some weird reason. Schiano destroyed the Bucs in just a few short years, no one wants him. If you look at his current record with Rutgers and the pirates record at Miss State we are better off now. Curry thought he finally was getting his moment in the sun and it turned into a storm. He is still angry. We are better off without people like him.
Kiffin did the same thing with the Raiders but people on here still think he is God.

Fulmer is the single person who has sabotaged this program not once, but twice. Paying him a buyout without firing him was a huge cover-up on someone's part. The biggest blessing UT football could ever receive would be Phil getting a 10 year show cause and forced disassociation for this program to recuperate. I do not know about Schiano or even wanted him to come here but outside of Knoxville Tennessee his reputation is completely different. I really think that was due to a character assassination plot by someone around our program and the idiots at Fan Run Radio. This gives merit to the cynical thinking about our program due to incidents like this.

Hopefully, the new administration and White are in control now and can restore the reputation of the program for the future.

It may be 30 years too late but it appears that Johnny was right after all.

Not tarnished. He won a national championship. Unless he pokes a girl in the butt while telling me he was trying to spend time with his wife and grand children, then he will go down as not a great AD. But that’s all. He owns one of our two national championships.

I'm old enough to remember '98. I'm also old enough to remember Fulmer's under-the-table campaign against Majors in '92. I forgave him the first time. I won't forgive him the second time. The Fulmer era was fun and full of great memories for us middle-aged UT fans. But Fulmer is and always has been a snake. We were willing to overlook it because we saw him as a beloved favorite son of our university, but he's proven that he was always going to place his own interests on a pedestal above the university's. The love affair with Fulmer is irrational at this point. And, yes, I'd agree that he has tarnished his legacy.

Not tarnished. He won a national championship. Unless he pokes a girl in the butt while telling me he was trying to spend time with his wife and grand children, then he will go down as not a great AD. But that’s all. He owns one of our two national championships.

Two? Where the h*ll have you been since 1940???

This article, more than anything, shows a couple of two things.

First and foremost, it emphasizes the glaring lack of unified institutional direction and control inside Tennessee's football program and athletics department. A program with a cohesive power structure wouldn't let its dirty laundry out to air in that fashion. And that dirty laundry demonstrates a vacuum of power at various levels (for whatever reasons it existed) which is pretty clear in the post-mortem. In that vacuum, we can see a lot of people vying to achieve their personal and professional goals through whatever means they thought necessary. A stronger power structure would place tighter barriers around those ambitions, and guide people to work within the system, rather than tear it down from outside.

Second, the backroom wheeling and dealing between various parties happens at every Power 5 school. The stuff about various people talking to other various people - it happens. That doesn't really phase me. What I do note, again, is that the lack of organized authority allowed those conversations to disrupt the process more than they would at a more unified program. Boosters, state officials, money men, school figureheads - it would be interesting to talk to people who are in the know, who could explain where and how people outside the department destabilized the program.

Finally, it is a little sobering that think that the same person involved with removing and replacing Johnny Majors in 1992 was also involved in circumventing and replacing Tennessee's athletic director in 2017.

VN Store

Back