The Athletic - “The Worst Coaching Search Ever?”

I'm old enough to remember '98. I'm also old enough to remember Fulmer's under-the-table campaign against Majors in '92. I forgave him the first time. I won't forgive him the second time. The Fulmer era was fun and full of great memories for us middle-aged UT fans. But Fulmer is and always has been a snake. We were willing to overlook it because we saw him as a beloved favorite son of our university, but he's proven that he was always going to place his own interests on a pedestal above the university's. The love affair with Fulmer is irrational at this point. And, yes, I'd agree that he has tarnished his legacy.
never said I’m in love with him. His legacy has two parts. Coaching and Athletic Director. He was great at one, not so much the other. I love the fact he turned in Alabama for cheating. I’ll give him a oss on Majors bc he took the program higher. Now I preface that with this, I’m not trying to convince anyone. I don’t feel he has tarnished anything. He still brought us one that the NCAA recognizes.

Reactions: peerless98
I remember Brett McMurphy reporting at the time Fulmer was sabotaging the coaching search and all of us ignored it because we were so pissed off at Currie…he was right though.
I called it at the time
Fulmer probably scheming to take over the AD like he did for HC this time sabotaging the coaching search.

What recruit cares about a National Championship 2, 3, 5,10, 20, 60 years ago. There is only one significant NC and that is the one this year. Everything else is history. They are only memories and those too will go blank some day.

Reactions: EezyE
never said I’m in love with him. His legacy has two parts. Coaching and Athletic Director. He was great at one, not so much the other. I love the fact he turned in Alabama for cheating. I’ll give him a oss on Majors bc he took the program higher. Now I preface that with this, I’m not trying to convince anyone. I don’t feel he has tarnished anything. He still brought us one that the NCAA recognizes.
Who is to say that Johnny would have not won a NC in the next several years? He had the recruiting level at the top at the time and had won 3 SEC championships in his last 6 years. The program was a national icon at the time. Johnny was never one to settle for where we were at the time and kept pushing people, especially coaches, to improve. To the point that he had a lot of turnover. But he kept striving for the top.

You could say that Johnny had issues with Bama, but no more than Fulmer with Florida.

I'm not convinced he did anything to hurt the University intentionally. With the money and ego associated at this level people often think they can do better than whoever is actually making the decisions. They act out of a perverted sense of trying to "save" the program and don't realize they are doing the opposite.

Currie was a disaster and would have done as much harm as Fulmer did. Getting to the point where those were our two options is the actual problem in my mind. I truly believe Danny White is the right person for the AD and we are already seeing a vast improvement on the field. We should expect that UT athletics as a whole continue to thrive under White's leadership.

Finally, there isn't just hope but progress..... Thank God and GBO!
Fulmer defenders will always try to rationalize his narcissistic actions. From 1992 coaching takeover until his incompetent stint as AD

From David Ubben (this isn’t random, The Athletic is doing a series on college football coaching searches).

Article: Inside the 2017 search that turned the coaching carousel into a carnival

Nothing completely shocking and seems to be written from a Currie perspective but some interesting stuff.

1) We met and talked with Chip Kelly but was never offered the job.

2) Currie talked with Dave Doeren BEFORE Schiano Sunday.

3) Booster Charlie Anderson talked to JOHN HARBAUGH about the job.

4) According to a source, one head coach wouldn’t take the job because of Fulmer: “And former Vols head coach Philip Fulmer was exerting his influence behind the scenes, attempting to “advise” Davenport and ultimately wrestle control away from Currie — who served as Tennessee’s executive assistant athletic director when Fulmer was fired in November 2008. Fulmer, too, was making calls to candidates before Currie did.

“There was, in my opinion, a group working to discredit John Currie,” a source said.

That source said at least one head coach who was interviewed for the Tennessee job said he wouldn’t take it because of Fulmer’s meddling and the feeling that, with Fulmer pulling strings, the new coach wouldn’t get a fair chance to succeed.

5) Tennessee had a meeting set up with Dan Mullen but he took the Florida job before the meeting. That is when Currie moved to finish it up with Schiano.

6) I don’t know why but Brohm was never mentioned as a serious candidate in the article or mentioned how Hyams broke the news that Brohm was hired.

7) Part of the issue with Currie going to LA? No Wi-Fi on his flight to meet with Leach. He also didn’t check his phone and text Beverly Davenport back because he was interviewing Leach.

Rumor has it that UF went ahead and fired shark boy early to preempt us from getting Mullen. I see no reason to doubt that.

As for Brohm....Hyatt has been seriously out of touch ever since Fulmer was fired.

It's not 2 legacies. His legacy is that Fulmer was all about Fulmer. He never built a program which is why no one of any significance wanted him after he was fired in 2008.

I believe the governing body. But you everyone gets a trophy gens keep on believing. I’m sure bama added another that you believe as well.

Those national championships were recognized by the NCAA long before the early 2000s. The AP/Coaches poll aren't the only selectors. Poling was in place before the AP started. It selected those Neyland teams as national champions live and in real time. Houlgate was also live at the time. It started in 1929. 7 years before the AP and over 20 years before the coaches poll. Dunkel also started in 1929. The vast majority of polling services selected Tennessee, especially in 1938 and 1950. There was a huge Midwest bias in the AP poll into the early 2000s. Become a better fan or do some research before discrediting the great teams we've fielded here.

Rumor has it that UF went ahead and fired shark boy early to preempt us from getting Mullen. I see no reason to doubt that.

As for Brohm....Hyatt has been seriously out of touch ever since Fulmer was fired.

Brohm confirmed Hyams story.

Reactions: Delmar
Those national championships were recognized by the NCAA long before the early 2000s. The AP/Coaches poll aren't the only selectors. Poling was in place before the AP started. It selected those Neyland teams as national champions live and in real time. Houlgate was also live at the time. It started in 1929. 7 years before the AP and over 20 years before the coaches poll. Dunkel also started in 1929. The vast majority of polling services selected Tennessee, especially in 1938 and 1950. There was a huge Midwest bias in the AP poll into the early 2000s. Become a better fan or do some research before discrediting the great teams we've fielded here.
I did. Go by NCAA. Let’s claim Majors won the Heisman bc he deserved it.

Fulmer defenders will always try to rationalize his narcissistic actions. From 1992 coaching takeover until his incompetent stint as AD

His takeover in 1992 was a good thing. Majors took a team that was ranked in the top five, having upset both Georgia and Florida, and lost to an Arkansas team that had lost to the Citidel at home. Ole Johnny had to go!

Fulmer did not distinguish himself as AD, but at least his heart was in the right place, he truly wanted UT to improve.

Reactions: crnanancy
I did. Go by NCAA. Let’s claim Majors won the Heisman bc he deserved it.

Majors wasn't selected Heisman by voters. Though him not winning should make it abundantly clear that there was bias against the southeastern states at the time. The NCAA doesn't endorse any FBS National Champions. They do recognize selectors. Tennessee's selectors in those years are all recognized by the NCAA. The AP and their mythical national champions hold no more weight than the others. Especially when considering college football was 66 years old when the AP started. If you can only enjoy the mythical AP that shafted Tennessee multiple times, you do you.

Reactions: Samthebam
His takeover in 1992 was a good thing. Majors took a team that was ranked in the top five, having upset both Georgia and Florida, and lost to an Arkansas team that had lost to the Citidel at home. Ole Johnny had to go!

Fulmer did not distinguish himself as AD, but at least his heart was in the right place, he truly wanted UT to improve.

Fulmer wanted to stick it to the people that fired him. His whole stint as AD was to prove his Fulmerball would have kept working.

Not exactly. He never said there was an actual offer on the table, just that he spoke to Tennessee.

He was directly asked if he was going to take the Tennessee job as was reported and his response was "let's just say, where there's smoke there's fire." Apparently it was torpedoed over buyout money supposedly. But I suspect it was Fulmer and his wealthy enablers.

Kiffin did the same thing with the Raiders but people on here still think he is God.

Fulmer is the single person who has sabotaged this program not once, but twice. Paying him a buyout without firing him was a huge cover-up on someone's part. The biggest blessing UT football could ever receive would be Phil getting a 10 year show cause and forced disassociation for this program to recuperate. I do not know about Schiano or even wanted him to come here but outside of Knoxville Tennessee his reputation is completely different. I really think that was due to a character assassination plot by someone around our program and the idiots at Fan Run Radio. This gives merit to the cynical thinking about our program due to incidents like this.

Hopefully, the new administration and White are in control now and can restore the reputation of the program for the future.

It may be 30 years too late but it appears that Johnny was right after all.

The fans didn’t do as much as some media report. There were some high ranking state politicians here in Nashville that tweeted and was reported as being concerned about legalities around Schiano and was demanding answers from the governor about what was up. That’s when he gave his fake “I don’t know anything “ answer. National sports media won’t mention this because it brings legitimacy to the claims about Schiano and that goes against their narrative.

Fulmer is and has always been about Fulmer, his hubris was his and UTs undoing.

Fulmer did not distinguish himself as AD, but at least his heart was in the right place, he truly wanted UT to improve.[/QUOTE
Laughable take

VN Store

Back