The Andy Griffith Show

Watched it a lot as a kid and brings back memories. I've always thought it was interesting how Andy was the main character, but he was like the 5th most interesting character on the show to me.

Barney totally stole the show. There is no Andy Griffith Show without him as far as I'm concerned. There were several other characters (Gomer, Ernest T. Bass, Otis) who I remember more than Andy.

Watched it a lot as a kid and brings back memories. I've always thought it was interesting how Andy was the main character, but he was like the 5th most interesting character on the show to me.

Barney totally stole the show. There is no Andy Griffith Show without him as far as I'm concerned. There were several other characters (Gomer, Ernest T. Bass, Otis) who I remember more than Andy.
Andy Griffith himself remarked how he played straight man to Don Knotts and the other characters. It originally wasn’t meant to be written like that but evolved into it very early on.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Andy Griffith himself remarked how he played straight man to Don Knotts and the other characters. It originally wasn’t meant to be written like that but evolved into it very early on.
Yeah you can really see that in the earlier episodes. He was a lot more aww shucks and hokey in the pilot and early episodes and went more straight man after a while.

Love the show but when we start talking favorites of all time my go to series is Gunsmoke

I live just a few minutes from Clay City,IN which made national news back in 2000 after dubbing itself the Mayberry of The Midwest. For about 10 years they had a annual festival and a replica police car and everything but the town kinda grew old of it and has recently in the past 5 years gotten away from the distinction.

From news article:

Most recently, Clay City’s “Mayberry of the Midwest” slogan and the image that represents, captured America’s interest and attention. The Today Show (audience of 16 million viewers) broadcast the “Mayberry of the Midwest” story live on February 4, 2000 with locals Daryl Andrews and Jo Beth Haviland being interviewed. In this publicity aftermath, more than two hundred newspapers nationwide continued the coverage, while numerous magazines and other media outlets stated they will be doing follow-ups, articles and interviews throughout the year.

Because of overwhelming local and national response to the Clay City “Mayberry of the Midwest” association, the Town Council, Town Planners, and Clay City USA have exciting plans for promoting and improving our town. To date the town has built a new fire station, completed water line upgrades, restored an old gas station into our Welcome Center and renovated three downtown buildings.

Love the show but when we start talking favorites of all time my go to series is Gunsmoke
Back in the 90s, the Knoxville radio station 104.5 played an adult standards format, which is like Sinatra type stuff, some big band, 40s and 50s pop, etc, which is mostly what I listened to at that time. But at like 10:00 at night they played classic radio shows like The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Jack Benny and so on. Great stuff. But one of my very favorites was Gunsmoke.

The radio cast was not the same as the TV cast though. Matt Dillon was played by William Conrad, who later had a popular TV detective show in the 70s called Cannon. He was really good as Dillon but would not have been a good fit for the TV version though.

Incidentally, to tie it back to this thread topic, in the radio version the character Doc Adams was played by Howard McNear, our beloved Mayberry barber.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Probably bad form to segue off your own off-topic post to yet another, but speaking of old TV detectives....

Night before last I was doing dishes after dinner and was absent-mindedly whistling. I realized it and thought it odd since I’m not one to whistle often, but then it occurred to me that I’d been whistling the theme to the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie from the 70s.

(and Tuesday and Wednesday and whenever the hell else they ran it)

The oldsters on here would remember that opening, a silhouetted man against a kind of red background, sweeping a flashlight beam back and forth past the camera. It introduced whatever cycle of shows they were alternating at the time, like Columbo, McCloud and so on.

Anyway, no idea why I’d have been whistling that, hadn’t thought of it in ages. I guess random stuff just sometimes leaks to the surface in a semi-old declining brain.

And now, back to the show....

It's me! it's me it's Earnest T

You ain't seen the last of Ernest T. Bass

5708e7bcb4bc88b7ecafdf0a8cd32224.jpg

Reactions: sona
Quick story about George Lindsey.............

About 27 years ago, I was working in the bag-room at Opryland/Gaylord Golf Course. Lindsey played golf out there quite a bit. He would always say hello, call me by my first name, and give me $5 for cleaning his clubs and putting them in his trunk. One day, he was handing me $5, when I said very nicely, "Mr. Lindsey. If you would please say 'Judy, Judy, Judy' for me, you can keep that $5."

He said, very loudly, "My name is George F'ing Lindsey, NOT Goober. Don't you ever refer to me as Goober again," kept his five and drove off. Never spoke to me again........................:mad:

Yeah you can really see that in the earlier episodes. He was a lot more aww shucks and hokey in the pilot and early episodes and went more straight man after a while.

Loved Andy after the first few episodes. Reminded me of my grandfather.

VN Store

Back