The 2nd career adventures of Yankee

Anyone work for a Kia dealer? Wife wants a telluride, but the dealers around east Tn want to add 3-4K to the msrp. Best dealership I can find price wise is in Memphis.

Spoke to 4 dealerships today. Typical same BS it always is. Wants to give me bottom dollar for trade (ironically is a very popular 2020 Hyundai palisade with low miles). KBB is 33k for average trade value (they’re selling for around 39), and they offer me 29. Adds 3-4K to the msrp. Tells me that it’s the “new normal” thinking I’m a dumbass, then proceeds to send me 374 texts asking me if I’m ready to do a deal or tries to get me into something 10k above what I want to spend.

The Hyundai dealers around here are the same way. Pretty sure production issues in Korea are driving their lack of supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: headhunter15
Anyone work for a Kia dealer? Wife wants a telluride, but the dealers around east Tn want to add 3-4K to the msrp. Best dealership I can find price wise is in Memphis.

Spoke to 4 dealerships today. Typical same BS it always is. Wants to give me bottom dollar for trade (ironically is a very popular 2020 Hyundai palisade with low miles). KBB is 33k for average trade value (they’re selling for around 39), and they offer me 29. Adds 3-4K to the msrp. Tells me that it’s the “new normal” thinking I’m a dumbass, then proceeds to send me 374 texts asking me if I’m ready to do a deal or tries to get me into something 10k above what I want to spend.

The Hyundai dealers around here are the same way. Pretty sure production issues in Korea are driving their lack of supply.

They are having issues selling some used Hyundais at top $$$ due to theft/insurance coverage issues so that is why they might be low-balling you a little bit.

KBB is a good but imperfect tool.

This is definitely the case in Memphis.

Nvm. I was thinking of Hyundai

Last edited:

I live in Knoxville and when I bought my Hyundai a few years ago, I went up to Kentucky to get it (Somerset I believe). There were a couple of dealers up there that had much better deals than the local dealers. I was buying straight cash, no trade so my experience might have been a little different. Found the car online, called them, and negotiated the deal before even heading that way. Wound up financing once I got to the dealer to knock a little bit more off ($1,000, maybe $1,500) and paid it off as soon as the loan showed up online. Even with the financing, I was in and out in less than an hour or so. No issues with getting tags or anything else like that.

I live in Knoxville and when I bought my Hyundai a few years ago, I went up to Kentucky to get it (Somerset I believe). There were a couple of dealers up there that had much better deals than the local dealers. I was buying straight cash, no trade so my experience might have been a little different. Found the car online, called them, and negotiated the deal before even heading that way. Wound up financing once I got to the dealer to knock a little bit more off ($1,000, maybe $1,500) and paid it off as soon as the loan showed up online. Even with the financing, I was in and out in less than an hour or so. No issues with getting tags or anything else like that.
I did the same thing to buy a Lexus. I used miles to fly to Lexington. They picked me up at the airport. We returned to the dealer, and I was on my way home in my car in about 30 minutes.

Had to walk away from a deal today at Honda Morristown. Went to see about trading my wife’s 2021 HRV for a new CRV. Our first offer was for $705 a month with $1,000 down. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, we were offered $550 a month. Had we gotten that offer first, we would have probably taken it. My wife has bought multiple cars from them.

Had to walk away from a deal today at Honda Morristown. Went to see about trading my wife’s 2021 HRV for a new CRV. Our first offer was for $705 a month with $1,000 down. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, we were offered $550 a month. Had we gotten that offer first, we would have probably taken it. My wife has bought multiple cars from them.
I used to keep that I was (and still am, just on the other side now) in the business close to the vest until needed. Now I am very upfront. Either it makes sense or it doesn't ( I understand I want a good deal, and they need to make money). Just don't take advantage, which unfortunately, A LOT of d(steal)erships still do.

I talked to a dealership for my MIL. They offered $4,000 for the trade. They jumped to $7,500. I told y'all upfront, just make it fair and it's super easy.

I used to keep that I was (and still am, just on the other side now) in the business close to the vest until needed. Now I am very upfront. Either it makes sense or it doesn't ( I understand I want a good deal, and they need to make money). Just don't take advantage, which unfortunately, A LOT of d(steal)erships still do.

I talked to a dealership for my MIL. They offered $4,000 for the trade. They jumped to $7,500. I told y'all upfront, just make it fair and it's super easy.

Her trade-in went from $14,000 up to a little over $17,000 as we were leaving.

Honda Morristown had a 2020 HRV (same color and look as my wife’s car) selling for $23,450 on the lot today. Again our first offer for her car was $14,000.

I would love to upgrade my truck, but I hate the hassle of dealing with a dealership. Just tell me the best you can do from the get go and save us a bunch of time. Last guy I dealt with at the dealership was upfront and said this is the best he could do if you can do better, then best of luck to you. I appreciated that and purchased my truck from him. Unfortunately he has passed away.

I would love to upgrade my truck, but I hate the hassle of dealing with a dealership. Just tell me the best you can do from the get go and save us a bunch of time. Last guy I dealt with at the dealership was upfront and said this is the best he could do if you can do better, then best of luck to you. I appreciated that and purchased my truck from him. Unfortunately he has passed away.
Very few dealerships do that unfortunately. It is shifting, it's just taking time.

Of course they'll use it cost's so much to run a business blah blah blah, but they get incentives from the manufacturer. They majority aren't hurting for money, they're just greedy, and the "pandemic" only perpetuated the problem of the scum that is the majority of the industry.

Ended up getting a new palisade at hallmark thanks to reading this thread and seeing @YankeeVol comments. They offered 4k more for trade, and had no markup. Hated having to drive 2 hours but it was worth it.

Knoxville dealers can sincerely go to hell. I used to appreciate the Harper dealers, but even they are getting shady.

VN Store

Back