The $24 million dollar question

And, well, Marshall sucks this year, at least compared to the level we're supposed to be.

The only reason we pulled away late wasn't because we played well per se, it was because we draw a more & better-quality kids with basic athletic ability. Marshall played their hearts out- literally- but our better conditioning and brute physical talent won out by attrition. It wasn't so much a football win as the equivalent of beating a sprinter in a medium distance race.

In terms of football, they did alot more with what they had than we did, PLUS they aren't expected to do well at all in CUSA.

If the best of the SEC in terms of football heads and hearts so far weren't UK and Vandy, we'd be in serious trouble- and as much as they love to play us, we're still on dangerous ground at this point...

A trivial but depressing question that just popped into my head... have we lost 2 in a row to Vandy since before Neyland took over?

We just won by 26 points in soggy, wet, awful conditions, and you are saying we are going to lose to Vandy.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

The gloom is, again, because Marshall sucks and has very limited numbers of people with any skills. Yet, if they didn't complete many drives, they sure moved the ball on us alot- and, if you take away Coker's big run, they held us to maybe 50 yards on the ground. In other words, the gloom is over future prospects if this is how we do against a weakling, especially just one weak after giving a game away due to goofiness and mental errors.....

I didn't say we'd lose to Vandy, I said I just had a mini-nightmare pop into my head.

Besides, I ought to remind you that last year I said that we needed to get our act together or we could lose to Vandy and was told that was ridiculous. Vandy is playing up to their ability and we're not even remotely close, and that's always dangerous.

Could our crappy o-line run the ball aginst our crappy d-line?
Like I mentioned in another thread somewhere, we should just let the O/L play on the defensive line and D/L play on the offensive line. I am being sincere!It can't be any worse.The only promising thing I saw on the O/L tonight was #55, a freshman from Memphis.He should be starting SOON!

I don't think it's far-fetched at all that Vanderbilt will play the Vols close, although I'd be surprised if they won.

A lot can change before November though.

:eek:hmy: Their hearts really came out of their chests?!?

That's what "literally" would imply :)

I was thinking more like what we mean when we say "out of gas"- not that, like, say certain political personages, one is actually a product of having gas, but that there is a sudden absence thereof....

:whistling:

The gloom is, again, because Marshall sucks and has very limited numbers of people with any skills. Yet, if they didn't complete many drives, they sure moved the ball on us alot- and, if you take away Coker's big run, they held us to maybe 50 yards on the ground. In other words, the gloom is over future prospects if this is how we do against a weakling, especially just one weak after giving a game away due to goofiness and mental errors.....
The same thing that Memphis & Vandy have...they suck & are limited with skill people...very limited! :lol:

Could our crappy o-line run the ball aginst our crappy d-line?

I was thinking about that this last week. I wonder if that is why our run game sucks. If we practice against a crappy line it might appear that our run game in practice is good, but up against good lines we really get showed how good they really are. It will also go the other way, if our d-line penetrates our crappy line then our d-line looks good. I wonder if we could practice against the titans, they seem to be playing at good college level right now. I dont see how we can improve during practice with crappy lines, if they dont get challenged, how do you improve? I did not get to see the Marshall game, just listen. How did the lines look in that game?

:eek:hmy: Their hearts really came out of their chests?!?

That's what "literally" would imply :)

:lol: There's a great David Cross rant about how often people say "literally" when it is the exact opposite of what they mean (figuratively would be the right term I guess).

Eg. “it was so funny i literally crapped my pants.”

I don't think it's far-fetched at all that Vanderbilt will play the Vols close, although I'd be surprised if they won.

A lot can change before November though.

If things don't get better, Kentucky will play us close as well.

Yep... I agree with one of your posts in another thread, I'd expect every game from here on out to be close, Memphis included.

Yep... I agree with one of your posts in another thread, I'd expect every game from here on out to be close, Memphis included.

It's a reality. A very, very sad one. I think I might cry that Tennessee football has fallen this far, where our butt cheeks are clenched watching the Kentucky, and Vandy games. Sad. Sad days.

It's not a good feeling, but Vandy and Kentucky aren't exactly getting pounded by anyone in the SEC so far this year.

Shouldnt all the experience all our young guys are getting just make them better though???

Marshall really only moved the ball on two drives. We stepped up at the end and crammed it down their throat too.

...umm, before we write this season off can I remind the crowd of the role emotions play in college football?

We just lost a heartbreaker to Florida. Is it really that surprising given that fact and that on a rainy day with a delayed start and no-name opponent we played flat.

We're not as good as we looked against Cal, not as bad as we've looked at times either. I'm not worried about us losing to Memphis, Vandy or Kentucky at this point.

It's a reality. A very, very sad one. I think I might cry that Tennessee football has fallen this far, where our butt cheeks are clenched watching the Kentucky, and Vandy games. Sad. Sad days.

I clinched my booty in the '96 and '97 UT-Vandy games. I was also at Commonwealth Stadium clinching my booty and freezing my nutz off (an experience I don't care to repeat) as Billy Jack Haskins took UT to the wire in '95.

Generally UK is ground to powder by the time they get to the UT game. Here's hoping Randy Sanders isn't the little boost they need. Still, the anticipation of a competitive UT-Kentucky game is no reason to feel like the sky is falling.

The reality is that UT hasn't "fallen this far" but that Vandy and UK seem to be playing up this year. THAT my friend, is the reality.

VN Store

Back