The 2022 NFL Season Thread

I think Mahomes is gonna mess up my MVP bet (Hurts) and my offensive POY bet (Jefferson). Mahomes should probably be OPOY and Hurts should be MVP, based on how the award usually works. If Mahomes wins MVP, sympathy OPOY votes will go to Hurts, who does not have OPOY stats. They're really good. They are MVP stats, but how can you be OPOY when somebody beat you for MVP specifically because of stats? Hurts should be MVP because of the way he unstoppably chews clock. Mahomes or Jefferson should be OPOY. It's not gonna go that way.

This cannot be a serious post

I don't even know what you are disputing? That he keeps his D off the field better than anybody or that there's value in that?

That Hurts should win MVP because he keeps his D off the field. There’s like 5 other factors in that which don’t involve the QB

Hurts missed two games. Mahomes missed zero. If Mahomes had AJ Brown/Devontae Smith he’d throw for 6000 yards

That Hurts should win MVP because he keeps his D off the field. There’s like 5 other factors in that which don’t involve the QB

There are literally a million things that factor into everything a QB does. Lots of dudes have been well-staffed and coached...I don't remember a QB so devastating in short yardage situations like this. Not just the win rate but also the frequency. It's all game long. Death by a thousand cuts RPO + sneaks.

They gave up 20 points at home to the lowly Saints and 40 to the Cowboys with Minshew, who is a very good backup. Rush yards were also down 50%. Throw away week 1 weirdness, and they only gave up 17.5 ppg with Hurts.

Last edited:
There are literally a million things that factor into everything a QB does. Lots of dudes have been well-staffed and coached...I don't remember a QB so devastating in short yardage situations like this. Not just the win rate but also the frequency. It's all game long. Death by a thousand cuts RPO + sneaks.

They gave up 20 points at home to the lowly Saints and 40 to the Cowboys with Minshew, who is a very good backup. Throw away week 1 weirdness, and they only gave up 17.5 ppg with Hurts.

Let’s not ignore that Hurts missed two games while Mahomes played all 17. Which should be a factor as well. Mahomes lead the league in TD’s, yards, YPG, QBR, first downs by 35, 2nd in YPA, 4th in competed air yards. Hurts was awesome, no problem with him second or third in voting. But this is some LeBron level “we don’t want to give it to the best player because it’s boring” level reasoning.

Let’s not ignore that Hurts missed two games while Mahomes played all 17. Which should be a factor as well. Mahomes lead the league in TD’s, yards, YPG, QBR, first downs by 35, 2nd in YPA, 4th in competed air yards. Hurts was awesome, no problem with him second or third in voting. But this is some LeBron level “we don’t want to give it to the best player because it’s boring” level reasoning.

Either of them would be fine MVP's this season. Hurts won as many games as Mahomes. Mahomes is the best player. Hurts was the most valuable. His team is a juggernaut with him and looked like dogshit without him. He has MVP stats and he's 14-1. What would be so crazy about giving it to him? Based on history, I'd say Hurts usually wins the MVP in this situation. Seems like it's going to be Mahomes this time.

Going off memory, McNair missed 2 games (his team went 1-1) and had a worse record and worse stats than Peyton Manning and they shared MVP. I don't think missing 2 games hurts when your team looked pretty bad without you. I think it helps

Either of them would be fine MVP's this season. Hurts won as many games as Mahomes. Mahomes is the best player. Hurts was the most valuable. His team is a juggernaut with him and looked like dogshit without him. He has MVP stats and he's 14-1. What would be so crazy about giving it to him? Based on history, I'd say Hurts usually wins the MVP in this situation. Seems like it's going to be Mahomes this time.

Going off memory, McNair missed 2 games (his team went 1-1) and had a worse record and worse stats than Peyton Manning and they shared MVP. I don't think missing 2 games hurts when your team looked pretty bad without you. I think it helps

Steve McNair should never have sniffed the MVP that year. Just because there was a stupid vote 20 years shouldn’t justify it now.

And you can’t say “Mahomes was the best player, Hurts was the most valuable.” What’s that even mean? Hurts was a better RB group, better WR’s, a better OL and a better defense based off stats. Mahomes has the TE and coaching advantage. And once again HURTS MISSED TWO GAMES. If Luka/Giannis had around the same stays but Luka played 64 games and Giannis played 74, Giannis should and would get it. You know what’s valuable? Not missing games. And I’m not blaming Hurts for getting injured. But when you have a close case, you go with the guy who played more. Your argument that “Well Mahomes played every game and Hurts didn’t and they went 0-2 without him…that means it should go to Hurts” is ridiculous.

You’re a Broncos fan. You’re tired of Mahomes. I get it. This Lions fan understands, I went through the same thing with Rodgers. It sucks but just get through the bias.

Hines will use 25 different stats to defend Dennis Rodman to say he’s a top 25 player ever but my man over here using “he chews clock” and “Mahomes should have missed games so his team could lose so we can see how valuable he is” as arguments for MVP SMH

Steve McNair should never have sniffed the MVP that year. Just because there was a stupid vote 20 years shouldn’t justify it now.

And you can’t say “Mahomes was the best player, Hurts was the most valuable.” What’s that even mean? Hurts was a better RB group, better WR’s, a better OL and a better defense based off stats. Mahomes has the TE and coaching advantage. And once again HURTS MISSED TWO GAMES. If Luka/Giannis had around the same stays but Luka played 64 games and Giannis played 74, Giannis should and would get it. You know what’s valuable? Not missing games. And I’m not blaming Hurts for getting injured. But when you have a close case, you go with the guy who played more. Your argument that “Well Mahomes played every game and Hurts didn’t and they went 0-2 without him…that means it should go to Hurts” is ridiculous.

You’re a Broncos fan. You’re tired of Mahomes. I get it. This Lions fan understands, I went through the same thing with Rodgers. It sucks but just get through the bias.

I didn't say Mahomes "was" the better player. I said he is the best player. Being the best player in the league doesn't make you MVP. Performing with the most value in the regular season is what makes you MVP. Jokic is not better than Giannis, but Jokic wins MVP because he has more regular season value in recent years. Giannis is the better player. Jokic is the MVP.

With the Steve McNair point, I'm talking about what is and you are talking about what ought to be. This is how they award MVP. They don't care about 2 games if you have the resume, especially in a 17-game season. It's just as likely to work as a tiebreaker in the other direction because of how bad they looked without him. Playing 15 NFL games is the equivalent of playing 72 NBA games and that's plenty enough to win the MVP if you went 14-1, you put up MVP numbers, and your team did terribly without you.

The difference between the RB's and the OL is negligible* in an MVP conversation. You can argue that he has less help, but he has a good team, and he ends up throwing more which helps his stats and his MVP case.

The last part is just throwing whatever into the argument. I am not the kind of fan that hates on rival players. I love Mahomes. I was pretty butthurt about him not winning in 2020 (when he went 14-1). Now that was a robbery. Rodgers won because they thought it was going to be his last chance to win it, then he ends up with b2b when he didn't deserve the 1st of the 2.

*We're talking about 1500 yards vs. 1700 rush yards for RB's with basically the exact same YPC (and factor in the Eagles RB's are constant beneficiaries of Hurts' RPO run threat). Chiefs RB's have like 400 more scrimmage yards, actually.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back