The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

Many of the t.o.s were also of the uncertain/poor decision-making/no one open due to piss poor offensive movement variety. A better offensive scheme and a year's experience should help greatly. IMO improvement in this area is the whole ball of wax for forward momentum this season. In descending order of importance, the improvement of Horston, Burrell, and Key in this area will tell the story. The emergence of a capable, low t.o. pg which allows Horston to handle less and score more as an off guard would be a huge bonus.

Mentally its very important to get the t.o. monkey off our back bc its become a major "thing", really dating back to the Evina days.

One of your favorite players, Crystal Dangerfield, was a pure point guard as well.
I never said I didn't think Crystal was a good player; I just said that I didn't think she would make a successful WNBA player...of which I was clearly proven wrong!

Even then, the UConn system doesn't really rely on having a "true" PG because the assists don't come primarily from the 1. Their system produces some of the best passing bigs in WCBB.

But that's the problem with the entire backcourt. There are players that "can play" and will play PG, but no point guards. Finding one in the offseason should have been top priority for Kellie...

"Can plan" only matters if they can do so at a high level for a P5 school. I remember the year that SWG left the team and Hornbuckle broke her wrist. Sure, Zolman "can play" some PG, but she was getting torn apart whenever Tennessee was up against a team with ball-hawking guards. Zolman was looking for a medic during the Georgia game. She basically had to jog alone the sideline with Anosike slowly running right beside her to fend off the Georgia guards.

I never said I didn't think Crystal was a good player; I just said that I didn't think she would make a successful WNBA player...of which I was clearly proven wrong!

Even then, the UConn system doesn't really rely on having a "true" PG because the assists don't come primarily from the 1. Their system produces some of the best passing bigs in WCBB.
I know...I was just having fun with ya!

Reactions: Amb3096
But that's the problem with the entire backcourt. There are players that "can play" and will play PG, but no point guards. Finding one in the offseason should have been top priority for Kellie...
the jury has yet to see the case with Jordan Walker
She played combo-guard and had to score with volume shooting at her old gig
Party on Darth

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Mentally its very important to get the t.o. monkey off our back bc its become a major "thing", really dating back to the Evina days.

Forget Evina...turnovers have been a constant with this team since the last NC run. Since then, I see only 2 seasons where they averaged less than 15 per game, with last year's 17.2 being a record-breaking season.

While on the record of pure PGs in the SEC, I forgot Jazz Holmes from MSST during her Sr. year, who ran their offense about as perfectly as possible. She may have been the most efficient pure PG in the SEC in the last decade. Not a scorer, but she was a great defender and playmaker. If she had a 3 pt shot, she would have been the perfect PG.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Forget Evina...turnovers have been a constant with this team since the last NC run. Since then, I see only 2 seasons where they averaged less than 15 per game, with last year's 17.2 being a record-breaking season.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Tennessee got paid by the offensive foul, what with how often we've had to watch someone barrel down the lane completely out of control this past decade. Over. And over. And over.

Reactions: NoBackBoard

You're right. Geno runs a read and react offense stressing the extra pass giving up a good shot for a better shot so the assist can come from anywhere. Crystal was definitely the point guard, she ran the team. She had the ball in her hands and decided when to run and when to go half court. She was an extension of Geno on the court and made sure all the team was in the right spot to start the half court. UConn is going to miss her much more than Walker.

In the absence of someone stepping up and being a true PG. I would put the ball in Davis' hands; in a way, making her the PG. The main offense would be high ball screens at the top of the key for Davis. Very simple, spread the floor, she can shoot or drive. If double-teamed, kick it out and rotate for an open three or cutter.

So here's a possible strong offensive line up. The primary ball handler would be Davis. Key would be the partner in the screen game at the top of the key (pun *maybe* intended). Rennie & Suarez in the corners. Horston on the opposite ft line extended.

I would also have set plays to get Rennie open 3s. If she ends up truly being a 40% 3p shooter, then she needs to shoot at least 120 of them this year.

Lady Vols' Davis Chases Legend Status on and off Court - University of Tennessee Athletics

Great piece on Rennia. Hearing what she has to say is getting me excited. Sounds like some people have stepped up as leaders. Can only spell good things!
Rennia is one of those players we never forget even though she has never won a championship..her love for this Program and giving her ALL for Tennessee despite all the background noise and locker room dramas during her years as Lady Vol she has always stayed true!!

Lady Vols' Davis Chases Legend Status on and off Court - University of Tennessee Athletics

Great piece on Rennia. Hearing what she has to say is getting me excited. Sounds like some people have stepped up as leaders. Can only spell good things!
This is Rennia's team. That article means everything to me. I have a good sense of Rennia's game & what she has meant to the program. I believe she has something to prove & will leave Tennessee an All-american. I am excited & ready for her senior season!

VN Store

Back