The 2 stats we have to fix to beat UGA

I know our offense is going to show up, but there will be 3 and outs at times because of how good Georgias D is and it being a home game for them. Therefore, I think a lot of this game actually depends on how well our D plays. Obviously, if we’re giving up chunk yardage plays and TDs regularly then we’ll likely lose. If we don’t win the LOS then we’ll likely lose. We have to get pressure on SB and not allow those big plays previously mentioned.

Reactions: McDad
I know our offense is going to show up, but there will be 3 and outs at times because of how good Georgias D is and it being a home game for them. Therefore, I think a lot of this game actually depends on how well our D plays. Obviously, if we’re giving up chunk yardage plays and TDs regularly then we’ll likely lose. If we don’t win the LOS then we’ll likely lose. We have to get pressure on SB and not allow those big plays previously mentioned.
I could see the game playing out this way.

I agree. I absolutely believe they are not as good on offense, but their tight end is a monster and love him or hate him Stetson is a gamer. It will he beauty vs brawn in this matchup. I am not confident in a win, but with Smith out and our D improving I would be a lot more nervous as a UGA fan. They have a lot of pressure on them like Bama did and it killed Bama. They stopped being the hunter last year and started being the hunted. We are trained snipers at this point.

All I’ve ever seen out of Stetson are little 5 yard passes that go for bigger yards. Not really a gamer

I agree the pressure on Hooker changed the game considerably last year. Ga chose to cover early in the game last year and Tennessee scored easily on them (first TD they allowed all season in the first qtr I believe). I do think they changed to a heavy blitz package after Tennessee scored so easily and that was where the pressure got to HH before he could get the ball released. The big hit that Ga returned for a TD & put HH out was by a DB or LB.
True, but that wasn't last year.Tennessee is a much improved team over last years team. Out QB is better along with the Olin, the Line, the LBs, the WRs, and last week, the secondary all have improved. In addition,Georgia's defense is not as good as last year and their offense has sputtered in some of their games this year. Their strengths are their TEs, RBs, DLine and and LBs. Their team speed on defense is probably the best in the Nation. the game should be unbelievable with the VOLs coming out win a hard earned win. Let it be.

Need a clean game, almost penalty free to beat the Dawgs.
Not trying to be argumentative but penalties don't concern me as much as other things. I also think UT needs the PI and holding to be called pretty close. UGA will do both.

Last year UGA sacked Hooker five times and Milton once. This was basically double their sack per game average on the season. That pressure lead to bad throws by Hooker. It also hobbled our run game to 55 yards.

They did this with pressure from mainly just their defensive front. Leaving their backend for great coverage and they did cover us well. Giving Hooker one of his few INT's.

Some positives for UT on both fronts are that last year UGA ranked top 10 in sacks per game. This year 116th.
Also their best pass rusher Nolan Smith is now out for this game.

Our oline has played a lot better this year, but go check the stats too. SEC wide sack rankings are down at the same time our line is better.
Last year Georgia had a once in a generation defense, this year not so much. If Alabama couldn’t stop us . Georgias not going to. Stetson Bennett is no Bryce Young period.

My son-in-law is a UGA grad....even he admits huge concern about this game. UGA lost a Tom of talent to the NFL....we got this.
They're a good defensive team... nothing comparable to last year. Alabama torched that supposed "best ever" defense last year with over 530 yards in the SEC championship game.

Georgia will get an occasional stop or we'll stop ourselves with costly penalties but it's going to come down to how well TN plays on defense -which has been the consistent theme the whole year.

If you told me how our Oline performed and how their TEs performed I can probably tell you what the outcome of the game was.

UGAs front is nowhere near as good as last years. UGA is 120th in sacks. They don’t really get to the QB. They are 77th in INTs. Yet the have the 13th overall pass defense. What does that tell you? It says that even though they can’t pressure the QB or get that many turnovers, their defense is still able to overcome that.

Now granted they haven’t faced an offense anywhere near ours. Hopefully that works in our favorz

UGAs front is nowhere near as good as last years. UGA is 120th in sacks. They don’t really get to the QB. They are 77th in INTs. Yet the have the 13th overall pass defense. What does that tell you? It says that even though they can’t pressure the QB or get that many turnovers, their defense is still able to overcome that.

Now granted they haven’t faced an offense anywhere near ours. Hopefully that works in our favorz
It says they have the best secondary we will have a faced.

Not trying to be argumentative but penalties don't concern me as much as other things. I also think UT needs the PI and holding to be called pretty close. UGA will do both.

Penalties & turnovers are about the only way to stop this offense. If Tennessee has 6 or less penalties that would be great for the Vols.

Reactions: WillisWG
In my mind, here's the difference between UGA '21 and UGA '22:

UGA 2021, National Champs, Defensive Coordinator - Dan Lanning
UGA 2022, Defensive Coordinator - Kirby Smart / Will Muschamp / Schumann

Who's actually calling the defense???
Not only will the guys on the field be confused, but there will be coaching confusion when they come up against the machine that is our offense.

Reactions: DD4ME
When UT played LSU, Bama, and UK... in the back of my mind I wondered if it would be the team with the magic decoder ring that figured out how to slow UT's O.

I watched their UF game again yesterday then part of their Mizzou game. The key to both sides of the ball seems to be to stop their run game. If you make them one dimensional on O it seems to throw everything else they want to do off kilter. They can't win field position. They can't sell play action. They can't get their TE's loose as easily.

Another thing Mizzou did was pressure the passer. So the game to me hinges the most on UT's D front vs UGA's OL. I believe UT will find a way to generate some points. I think the OL is much better at handling the pass rush this year. I also think HH and the receivers are able to execute a quick game to protect the OL at times.

Smart seems to agree with Pruitt's philosophy of play.... maybe even Stoops like in some ways- Emphasis on D. Bully the opponent with your OL. Power run game and relatively safe passing game.

Still UGA will be on par with Bama talent wise and is probably a little better on D. I'm not convinced they're as good as Bama on O considering schedules but they've still put up lots of points.
Pressure and hone in on bowers. Maybe slaughter or banks will knock his dick in the dirt first series

Pressure and hone in on bowers. Maybe slaughter or banks will knock his dick in the dirt first series
I think UT could get away with more holding that usual any time UGA does a play fake. He is after all playing a blocking position. Just lock him up as if he's a blocker.

I would try to confuse them with coverage. Maybe sometimes with a DB but I'd use Banks a lot plus Young and Harrison dropping off the edge into coverage. All of those players have the athleticism to run with him.

But pressure is what breaks it down for them. They love both of their TE's on that misdirection roll out. They run two receivers at different depths- often both TE's. If the back side end/LB doesn't go for the play fake and forces Bennett to get depth then there's an opportunity to blow that up.

Reactions: DD4ME
UGA has a decided edge on us in penalties. This will be one of the most disciplined teams we will play all year. We actually have a fair amount of penalties partially due to this whole blocking scheme we use which I am not knowledgeable enough to speak on.

We run a lot of flanker/WR screens with our WR's and TE's blocking down field. This is legal as long as the ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage. We had an offensive pass interference call on Fant in our second possession against Kentucky that effectively killed the drive. It was an "iffy" call, even the on air "referee" thought it should not have been called as our receiver appeared on replay to be at or behind the LOS. However, we have been guilty a few times this year and 15 yard penalties for offensive pass interference are hard for an offense to overcome.

Last year UGA sacked Hooker five times and Milton once. This was basically double their sack per game average on the season. That pressure lead to bad throws by Hooker. It also hobbled our run game to 55 yards.

They did this with pressure from mainly just their defensive front. Leaving their backend for great coverage and they did cover us well. Giving Hooker one of his few INT's.

Some positives for UT on both fronts are that last year UGA ranked top 10 in sacks per game. This year 116th.
Also their best pass rusher Nolan Smith is now out for this game.

Our oline has played a lot better this year, but go check the stats too. SEC wide sack rankings are down at the same time our line is better.

The team that most resembles Georgia as far as talent that we have played is of course Alabama. Bama has two pass rushers on the DL that most people expect to be playing on Sunday in Will Anderson Jr. and Dallas Turner. They didn't get to Hooker much. As others have said keeping HH clean is a must for us to win, but I think our OL will. I have since re-watched the Bama game a couple of times and have come away thinking if it wasn't for Bryce Young doing his best impersonation of Superman, we may have boat raced them. Every game has its own course and ebb and flow, but if we continue to play at the level we have, I can't see Bennett putting on that red cape and making enough plays to beat us. Vols in stunning fashion 34-14! GBO!!

We run a lot of flanker/WR screens with our WR's and TE's blocking down field. This is legal as long as the ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage. We had an offensive pass interference call on Fant in our second possession against Kentucky that effectively killed the drive. It was an "iffy" call, even the on air "referee" thought it should not have been called as our receiver appeared on replay to be at or behind the LOS. However, we have been guilty a few times this year and 15 yard penalties for offensive pass interference are hard for an offense to overcome.
Thanks, that was simple but detailed enough to give clarity.

Hooker just stands in the pocket tall looks and sees all his reads starts to whistle Dandy scratches his butt and then throws a Zinger in the end zone this season

The key to the game will be forcing Stetson to beat us. If UGA runs the ball with success, then they will control the game. Put the game in Stetson’s hands and force him to throw to his WRs.

The Vols DBs will need to play like they did against Kentucky. If that happens, then Stetson will lose the game. They’ve gotten away with starting him because he hasn’t been forced to carry the team. If we force them to rely on him to look for the explosive plays from his WRs, then they will lose. Take the TEs out of the game plan and force him to throw deep.
Bennett also killed us last year on some key scrambles that kept drives alive. We have to limit those bc he can be a very efficient scrambler.

Reactions: DD4ME and walkenvol

VN Store

Back