The 2 stats we have to fix to beat UGA

I can tell you what needs to be fixed. Hooker needs to launch the dang ball 20 rows up in the stands instead of taking sacks after he's had 6 seconds to get rid of the ball. Happens every game at least once.

Reactions: walkenvol and DD4ME
I can tell you what needs to be fixed. Hooker needs to launch the dang ball 20 rows up in the stands instead of taking sacks after he's had 6 seconds to get rid of the ball. Happens every game at least once.
Once a game I’m cool with that, as long as it doesn’t become a in game trend.

Reactions: DD4ME
Huepel can call any play at any time, he has dictated the flow of the game, and the players have executed consistently at a high level.

The defense flies to the ball, is very physical, and is improving from week to week.

This team hasn’t played their best football yet.

UGA has relied on being a punishing team. I believe the Vols have also shown the ability to bludgeon their opponents.

Vols will win, that’s all I got.

Reactions: DD4ME
We need our best performance as a team. Need the OL/DL to play like they did vs Bama but better. Need Hooker to be flawless. Need Tillman to be in pre-injury form and for Hyatt to be his usual big play self. Need the DB's to play the ball and be physical like they did vs UK. Need special teams to be spot on and no turnovers/penalties. Need zero turnovers and and avoid stupid penalties. Yeah...gotta be darn near perfect.
Anything else? LOL.

Lol, I was wondering the same thing…
I didn't frame the second part as well as I should have. It is here.

Sorry did not frame the second part well, but rushing. We need to keep Hooker clean and get the RB's into the second level. We die with our run game. UGA held us to our lowest rushing total last year.

The bright spot here is Alabama held us to a similarly low number rushing last year, but we had a 280% rushing increase against them this year. They were also the best pass rush team last year and this, but significantly lower year over year. Securing 80% less sacks per game than last year.

I may be wrong, but I thinks this is one of the strongest correlations to our winning. Teams that sack 3+ times per game we struggle against. If you think about it all our success hinges on early down success. Once we are behind the chains our offense becomes more predictable and teams can tee up on Hooker.

Their tight ends are the best in CFB.
100% NFL prototypes. Massive, can run, and block you all the way Michael Oher style from Blindside movie all the way to the bus home. We have our hands full.

Whoever owns the line of scrimmage wins. It really is that simple. Skill positions are equal on both teams. Georgia has talent, 2-3 deep at most positions. The big boys will make the difference. Heart, soul and guts wins on Saturday afternoon.

They've made a living off us throwing to the tight-end in the red zone the last 20 years.

The key is for Tennessee to keep doing what it’s been doing, which is playing disciplined(low penalties) and playing turnover free. If the Vols can do those two things on the road, I like their chances.

We‘re ranked 123 (out of 131) in terms of penalty yards per game - right at 74 yards per game - so we aren’t close to being a low penalty team. We’re slightly worse than Bama (72 yards/game) but slightly better than Mississippi State (75 yards/game) So we aren’t dead last in the conference.

Reactions: WillisWG
Stats don't factor in opponent quality, btw.

Don't disagree. Stats are hard data of a team's past performance and to use them as a predictor of future performance you must put them into context. Thought that was a given. I find value in them.

That just means he is looking down the field trying to make plays. If you never ever get sacked, you probably are getting rid of it too soon and aren't trying hard enough to make a play.

Good post. Kirby will dial up some new disguised blitzes. It's his primary weapon. Heupel is pretty clever and will have a plan to combat it, but as others have said, it will all hinge on two things. The OL and Hooker's ability to make the correct read and not hold on to the ball. I don't think he's going to have the luxury of sitting back in the pocket too long. Georgia is going to force him to make quick decisions.

VN Store

Back