The “slo your roll” package

sjt18

They've done it. They did it vs USCe. They just don't do it well... remember that 2nd half?

Probably something for future development but you don't want to risk losing a game this year with it.

JonGrudensAgent

Run the offense as designed.

Just break the huddle later and let the QB stall until taking the snap. See it every week in football.

Passes in a lot of these offenses don't amount to much more than long handoffs now anyway. No need for a jumbo package or 240 lb RB.

Im more concerned with what they do in goal line situations.

hUTch2002

Wait til next year!
Hueple has an identity and I say you do what you are best at regardless if your up 60-14 or 30-28.
I agree with this with 1 exception. We have to change what we’re doing on short yardage situations because we are possibly the worst short yardage team I’ve ever seen. I don’t know what the answer is but I know what we’re doing isn’t it. Maybe it’s a package under center but likely not for this staff. Fine, then we need to execute better from play call to the players.

If you are going up and down the field sometimes changing pace is more of a detriment than a credit.
Does anyone think Huepel will add a time clock draining package or should add one?

There will be times were we are up a few points with only minutes left on the clock and it will be smart to drain the clock.

Sometime when you are up 3 with 2 minutes left you just want to run the clock out and with our play system 2 minutes is basically 2 whole drives with us .

Thoughts?

Do you think he will eventually add a time management package?
I would like to see him speed up the offense when we're ahead and score so many points that defense is irrelevant and Rocky Top gives the opponent PTSD.

He has already done this. I can't remember the game but we were ahead in the 4th quarter and he started killing the clock. The offense stood in a group not so much a huddle they waited until there was about 10 seconds on the play clock. Then they ran to the line of scrimmage, lined up and snapped the ball. I like that because it burnt clock and still did not give the defense time to get set and figure out the play we had called.
Yep…a part of the reason for the success of this O is that the D can’t change coverages, shift much, etc……they pretty much have to call a D and roll with it , sink or swim aside from taking a timeout….(or a timely injury/cramp)

LTVol

He has already done this. I can't remember the game but we were ahead in the 4th quarter and he started killing the clock. The offense stood in a group not so much a huddle they waited until there was about 10 seconds on the play clock. Then they ran to the line of scrimmage, lined up and snapped the ball. I like that because it burnt clock and still did not give the defense time to get set and figure out the play we had called.
vs USCe I think

Visiting Dawg

Every coach has a 2 minute O and Heupel runs it for most of the game and does it well but every coach also has a 4 minute package. Iows, he would be insane to go fast up by 4 with 2 minutes in a game vs a team with no time outs left.

NEO

Eat at Joe's
Why don’t you believe he has that now?
It seems that the only slow down plays we have lead to 3 straight runs and 3 and outs I could be wrong as we haven’t had a cushion where are starters were still in and burning clock but from what I remember I haven’t seen it.

Vol8188

revolUTion in the air!
It seems that the only slow down plays we have lead to 3 straight runs and 3 and outs I could be wrong as we haven’t had a cushion where are starters were still in and burning clock but from what I remember I haven’t seen it.
I think you’re overthinking this. A package is typically a special set of formations/plays. We can slow down without doing anything special. That’s the great thing about playing fast. It’s easier for a fast team to simply slow down than for a slow team to play fast

NEO

Eat at Joe's
I think you’re overthinking this. A package is typically a special set of formations/plays. We can slow down without doing anything special. That’s the great thing about playing fast. It’s easier for a fast team to simply slow down than for a slow team to play fast
I can see this point. We use the fast plays though to open the run as the D line can’t set though in time and it leaves gaps. I just think we don’t seem to have a solid enough run game yet to open holes without the o causing the d to set improperly.

But maybe I am over thinking it and time will tell.

VolMarine1371

I agree with this with 1 exception. We have to change what we’re doing on short yardage situations because we are possibly the worst short yardage team I’ve ever seen. I don’t know what the answer is but I know what we’re doing isn’t it. Maybe it’s a package under center but likely not for this staff. Fine, then we need to execute better from play call to the players.
I think execution is more big for sure!!!

cobbwebb0710

Believe the Heup
Does anyone think Huepel will add a time clock draining package or should add one?

There will be times were we are up a few points with only minutes left on the clock and it will be smart to drain the clock.

Sometime when you are up 3 with 2 minutes left you just want to run the clock out and with our play system 2 minutes is basically 2 whole drives with us .

Thoughts?

If we’re up 3 with 2:00 to play, you throw together a 4-5 play, 30 second scoring drive and give the ball back to the other team, down 10 with 1:30 to play.😎
GBO!!

cobbwebb0710

Believe the Heup
Every coach has a 2 minute O and Heupel runs it for most of the game and does it well but every coach also has a 4 minute package. Iows, he would be insane to go fast up by 4 with 2 minutes in a game vs a team with no time outs left.
Yeah but Heup’s 2:00 minute offensive package is about 30 seconds and his 4:00 package is 45 seconds.😂
GBO!!

BP4Prez

I feel like if the situation presented itself, we would drain the clock. May not go to a full huddle, but we would run the play clock down.

Thoughts?

Uhh… you realize he already did this right? Literally in like 5 games this year. Even commented after a game that we tried to go slow and ended up scoring anyways.

VN Store