The “slo your roll” package

NEO

Eat at Joe's
Does anyone think Huepel will add a time clock draining package or should add one?

There will be times were we are up a few points with only minutes left on the clock and it will be smart to drain the clock.

Sometime when you are up 3 with 2 minutes left you just want to run the clock out and with our play system 2 minutes is basically 2 whole drives with us .

Thoughts?

Do you think he will eventually add a time management package?

DaddyChad

I agree but let’s say it’s a 28-30 game against Bama and we got 3 minutes left and up 2.

Would it be nice to be able to drain the clock here?
I have no doubt there will come a time where we lose a game bc we can’t drain the clock. I also have no doubt other teams have lost by trying to take the foot off the gas. I think you have to stick to what your offense does best. Our talent void when in comparison to Bama Georgia etc makes our probability of success on a given down better by going fast.

87&91ALUM

LOL....some of the questions in here are just....I support the coach and the staff. If they want to "slow walk" something in the game plan fine. DO NOT TELL US ABOUT IT. Keep it 100% under wraps like in your head. Personally, with all the "run ups" that we have endured the past few years and as much as we need the practice, score all the points that you can all the time. Again, do not ask VN for permission.

Vol524

He has already done this. I can't remember the game but we were ahead in the 4th quarter and he started killing the clock. The offense stood in a group not so much a huddle they waited until there was about 10 seconds on the play clock. Then they ran to the line of scrimmage, lined up and snapped the ball. I like that because it burnt clock and still did not give the defense time to get set and figure out the play we had called.

GAVol

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone think Huepel will add a time clock draining package or should add one?

There will be times were we are up a few points with only minutes left on the clock and it will be smart to drain the clock.

Sometime when you are up 3 with 2 minutes left you just want to run the clock out and with our play system 2 minutes is basically 2 whole drives with us .

Thoughts?

We've seen a sugar huddle from time to time that slows the pace a little, but it's been a strange year. We haven't had a single 4 minute offense situation in 6 wins which is a little nuts. Closeset was the Kentucky game, but I think we gave them the ball back with about 5 minutes to play.

VolMarine1371

Thoughts?

Hueple has an identity and I say you do what you are best at regardless if your up 60-14 or 30-28.

GVF

Absolut Orange
Well, the UGA defense made the adjustments after two drives, and implemented that for us. Gotta give a little cred to the only D that truly put a damper on that Tempo game.

JoAllan

Re-watch the Missouri and SC games.

Heupel definitely “tried”……..this team simply didn’t have it. They tried for almost an entire half of two games to work on their slow game…….it simply didn’t work.

so to answer your first question, yea he will do it…….it’s just probably not happening right now.

To me it seemed like it took a few games just to get the personal and system worked out. Then Tennessee had key injuries while working with a limited roster.

If Heupel can get the O clicking this soon and with this roster (which was switched around a lot due to injury) I’m confident he can get at least “something” worked out for a slow game………he’ll probably need consistent stability at the line and at RB (which he really hasn’t had).

VAVol85

We don’t have a healthy pound the rock running back or OL for that matter. So, at this point, putting up more points is probably a better bet than trying to burn clock.

Heupel’s philosophy seems to be to force the other team to defend everything - so I would bet he tries to acquire a stronger running game in the future.

njvols

Thoughts?

seems like there was one game this year when they went to a huddle? Can't remember. We've just not had that opportunity I think...we've either been up big or clawing back. But, we'll clearly need this package at some point.

FBtime

I agree but let’s say it’s a 28-30 game against Bama and we got 3 minutes left and up 2.

Would it be nice to be able to drain the clock here?
Dude he's not stupid. With a 1 possession lead late in the 4th he's not going to be running the hurry up. That situation just hasn't manifested itself in a game yet.

cgrish

Thoughts?

Imo I don't like controlling the clock type of offense. I have seen more games lost by being very conservative than continuing with the offense you used the whole game up to that point.

VN Store