That's racist!

I missed that post until you replied.

I'm not a fan of black people using that term, either. But to answer the question, no I don't think it's as bad when black folks use it. And no, that's not hypocritical...that word, more than any other in American history, has a connotation of vitriol and hatred behind it and that evil comes from white people directing it at black people. So yes, there is a difference. White people shouldn't say it. A better question is, why are some white people so upset that they can't say it? Is it really that hard not to use a word that has been harmful to a particular group of people for centuries? How about trying to understand something from the point of view of others? I have said it before and I was wrong. I was racist in the past. I made a decision over a decade ago to never use that word again. But I'm not willing to say I'm 100% not racist now. Complacency allows old tendencies to creep back in. We're all wired to be tribal. But we should work hard to empathize and understand people of other cultures and races. Constantly.

And to your point about words vs. actions...you actually hit on something worthwhile. Racism is far more harmful in its institutions, rather than in words. We have racism embedded in all parts of our culture and, unless we really want to understand it, we won't. But that doesn't mean that using the n-word isn't also racist. Even if Morgan Wallen has black friends (a bizarre, tokenist, and cliche'd argument). Those words (especially THAT word) represent(s) something bigger.

I'm done. If some people want to really think about things from an objective and purposeful point of view, they will. If they want to defend their own existing notions because changing is uncomfortable, they will do that too...and resent those who suggest doing otherwise.

I know this has been moved so nobody is likely to see it but I have to respond to this ... by your own stunning admission here, you were "racist in the past" and - gasp - have even uttered the magical syllables yourself. That means, by the standards of woke cancel culture purists, you should never be allowed to have a public voice, and a job, again. You've committed the unpardonable sin. You're done, because there is NO forgiveness or redemption in woke culture. You of all people should know this, especially since you're happy to apply those very standards to Morgan Wallen.

There are very legit reasons this guy isn't liked. And it has zero to do with music. You can get all pissed that people are bothered by it, but you are stupid, if it surprises you that people are bothered

There are very legit reasons this guy isn't liked. And it has zero to do with music. You can get all pissed that people are bothered by it, but you are stupid, if it surprises you that people are bothered
For saying a word with his buddies not disrespectfully? Give me a break

Lol. I think he is gonna do just fine financially.

So again, who doesn’t like him, for non music reasons, that matters?
I have no doubt he's fine. He's been hurt. Yelling the N word will do that. I don't believe he should be cancelled for it. I also don't believe people should be surprised he's shunned in some ways for it. It's not hard.

I have no doubt he's fine. He's been hurt. Yelling the N word will do that. I don't believe he should be cancelled for it. I also don't believe people should be surprised he's shunned in some ways for it. It's not hard.

Idk who would be surprised he was shunned, it is the popular thing to do to overreact to something of this nature.

He hasn’t been hurt. His album outsold every album in 2021, of all genres.

Idk who would be surprised he was shunned, it is the popular thing to do to overreact to something of this nature.

He hasn’t been hurt. His album outsold every album in 2021, of all genres.
He has been hurt. He was cancelled by radio stations and streaming services. You can claim it didn't matter. I would agree to an extent. But it hurt him.

He has been hurt. He was cancelled by radio stations and streaming services. You can claim it didn't matter. I would agree to an extent. But it hurt him.

Reports I read quoted 1000% increases in sales/downloads after the incident.

The cancelling just fed a rebel, outcast, anti-establishment, etc. narrative about him.

If having the top selling album, of all genres, is hurting, then bring the pain.

What a saint. He gets called out, then apologizes for PR purposes. Do you really think that if someone hadn't filmed that, he'd be apologizing? Now THAT is a dumb take.

It shouldn't just slip out that easily unless you're an actual racist. Know how you avoid saying the n-word? Don't think it. Know how not to think it? Don't be a damned racist. But yeah, my take was the dumb one, while you defend a racist.

I know that there are certain political elements giving cover to bigotry right now by getting more upset at wokeness and cancel culture, as if those are the real problems. But anyone with an ounce of moral backbone knows that bigotry is far worse than calling out bigotry, and has ZERO tolerance for it. Screw Morgan Wallen. I don't want him remotely associated with Tennessee. Of course, there are hordes of racists in this state who love him and will defend him, so he's not the only problem.
He called his friend the N word….🙄….dude you’re a delicate little flower

What a saint. He gets called out, then apologizes for PR purposes. Do you really think that if someone hadn't filmed that, he'd be apologizing? Now THAT is a dumb take.

It shouldn't just slip out that easily unless you're an actual racist. Know how you avoid saying the n-word? Don't think it. Know how not to think it? Don't be a damned racist. But yeah, my take was the dumb one, while you defend a racist.

I know that there are certain political elements giving cover to bigotry right now by getting more upset at wokeness and cancel culture, as if those are the real problems. But anyone with an ounce of moral backbone knows that bigotry is far worse than calling out bigotry, and has ZERO tolerance for it. Screw Morgan Wallen. I don't want him remotely associated with Tennessee. Of course, there are hordes of racists in this state who love him and will defend him, so he's not the only problem.

Show me on the oppression doll where the evil racism touched you.

VN Store

Back