Texas reached out to Rick Barnes

If someone offered you $10 million to leave the nasty New England weather and Boston traffic, to go to Austin, you would be gone in a flash. I will be your Assistant for $5M.

I was born in Texas but don’t live there. I’ve been told that Austin has changed a lot. I’ve heard of people moving out.

If someone offered you $10 million to leave the nasty New England weather and Boston traffic, to go to Austin, you would be gone in a flash. I will be your Assistant for $5M.
Boston traffic isn’t necessarily worse than Austin traffic. I personally do better with the Boston winter than the Austin summer, to boot.

Reactions: tennesseecoyote
I was born in Texas but don’t live there. I’ve been told that Austin has changed a lot. I’ve heard of people moving out.

Lived there for many many years in the past. It's almost unrecognizable now. Overdeveloped, costly, pretentious, terrible traffic, tons of imports, the exact opposite of what used to make it such a uniquely great place to live. Watching the character of that city bleed out over the last twenty-five years has been one of the saddest things to live through. Anyone who goes there expecting it to be what it once was would be kidding themselves.

Lived there for many many years in the past. It's almost unrecognizable now. Overdeveloped, costly, pretentious, terrible traffic, tons of imports, the exact opposite of what used to make it such a uniquely great place to live. Watching the character of that city bleed out over the last twenty-five years has been one of the saddest things to live through. Anyone who goes there expecting it to be what it once was would be kidding themselves.

You just described Nashville....

Texas wouldn't call Barnes about his former assistant/their current interim coach. They know all they need to about him. You don't call someone you fired to get their opinion.

You just described Nashville....

Indeed. They have both followed the same trajectory. Appropriate for sister cities I guess.

Moderately-sized cities with outsized influence and money as a result of being state capitals, that have vibrant cultural and youth scenes due in part to large local universities, backstopped by very strong active music environments. Out of state residents move in, traffic explodes, the local scenes evaporate or are bought out by companies and investment groups, costs skyrocket, locals are priced out, and the town becomes another overpriced “metropolitan area” where all the best moments are fading photographs on the walls of what few original bars remain.

Just a few minor points . Rodney Terry is basically a .500 coach at this point who has done a good job as the TX interim. Career Record (major schools): 11 Years, 184-163, .530 W-L%. If you take this season out of the equation his head coaching record is 163-156 in 10 years as a coach.

Prior to this year he was 0-1 in the NCAAT. This year he has won the 1st 2 games for an overall record of 2-1 in the NCAAT. What he has accomplished this year is impressive but there is also nothing wrong with TX doing their due diligence in exploring better options. Just because a guy on twitter tweeted something does not make it factual. IF (and that is a big IF) TX called CRB I am almost certain that it was for his opinion on Rodney Terry and not to gauge Barnes’ interest in a return to Austin.

For those clamoring for some sort of non sports reason as to why TX would not hire Rodney Terry it can be noted that TX has employed African American head coaches at both of their major sports within the last 6 years.

Last edited:
Just a few minor points . Rodney Terry is basically a .500 coach at this point who has done a good job as the TX interim. Career Record (major schools): 11 Years, 184-163, .530 W-L%. If you take this season out of the equation his head coaching record is 163-156 in 10 years as a coach.

Prior to this year he was 0-1 in the NCAAT. This year he has won the 1st 2 games for an overall record of 2-1 in the NCAAT. What he has accomplished this year is impressive but there is also nothing wrong with TX doing their due diligence in exploring better options. Just because a guy on twitter tweeted something does not make it factual. IF (and that is a big IF) TX called CRB I am almost certain that it was for his opinion on Rodney Terry and not to gauge Barnes’ interest in a return to Austin.

For those clamoring for some sort of non sports reason as to why TX would not hire Rodney Terry it can be noted that TX has employed African American head coaches at both of their major sports within the last 6 years.

He’s also doing this job without a full roster of his guys. Now he prolly recruited a lot of them but Beard was the draw. My guess is he has shown he can coach at big level with a decent roster. The recruiting convo is prolly the big determining factor here.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
He’s also doing this job without a full roster of his guys. Now he prolly recruited a lot of them but Beard was the draw. My guess is he has shown he can coach at big level with a decent roster. The recruiting convo is prolly the big determining factor here.

When you look like Gus from Breaking Bad, recruiting shouldn't be a problem. All the Los Pollos Hermanos chicken you want, kids!

Reactions: Jravol78

VN Store

Back