Texas reached out to Rick Barnes

Can’t imagine any scenario that see them going after Barnes and I doubt this report is true. I’d guess it was a call about other candidates such as the interim. I do think he misses his family in Texas but there is no way of this happening. He’s probably coaching 5 more years at most, I’d guess, why make any change?
I agree with you. I don't think it happens but ya never know

The argument that Barnes ALMOST left for UCLA is old, weak, and stale. UCLA is a blue blood and unlike at TN, their AD wasn’t a dumb ass. And they pursued him, he wasn’t shopping himself to them. Unlike a BB coach that flirted with Memphis State and an assistant FB coach that was playing footsie with Clemson.

Can you imagine who Fulmer would have hired if he left for UCLA? Scary to think about.

Guessing Kevin Steele or Larry Slade.

Fulmer was awful at hiring assistant coaches after the good ones Majors left him cycled out…so we put him in a position, the primary responsibility of which is hiring coaches. One of the most nonsensical decisions in UT history.

SERIOUSLY doubt this happens because I can’t imagine Terry not being a head coach somewhere next year. But if the opportunity were to be there, if I’m Barnes, I’d see about bringing him in as a Head Coach In Waiting, like what some football coaches have arranged.
Not a fan of the head coach in waiting thing. Doubt White would even consider the idea.

Not a fan of the head coach in waiting thing. Doubt White would even consider the idea.

Seems not to be a thing anymore. The two I recall were Fisher for Bowden and Muschamp for Brown…which didn’t even pan out. Have there been others?

Fiction. Pure fiction. I guarantee they called him to do their due diligence on Rodney Terry, but there is zero chance they told him they wanted to bring him back to Texas. Texas also can’t possibly be dumb enough to think Brad Stevens would leave one of the best jobs in sports to be their head coach.

This is all just wishful thinking.
Texas would pay Stevens twice what he makes with Boston. Plus, no state income tax in TX makes his money worth more. When money gets involved, I never rule anything out.

Seems not to be a thing anymore. The two I recall were Fisher for Bowden and Muschamp for Brown…which didn’t even pan out. Have there been others?
Can't think of many outside those you mentioned. Seems like such a waste of time for a guy to sit and wait for who knows how long. If he's good enough to be a head coach, go be a head coach somewhere and work your way up to your destination job.

Texas would pay Stevens twice what he makes with Boston. Plus, no state income tax in TX makes his money worth more. When money gets involved, I never rule anything out.
At some point, a sane person will have enough money and they'll consider quality of life. Can't imagine any professional coach choosing to make a move to the college game now that we have the NIL and such an insane recruiting schedule. No way Stevens would make such a move even for twice the money. I know I wouldn't.

Guessing Kevin Steele or Larry Slade.

Fulmer was awful at hiring assistant coaches after the good ones Majors left him cycled out…so we put him in a position, the primary responsibility of which is hiring coaches. One of the most nonsensical decisions in UT history.
It’s something else, and he has the gall, lack of self-awareness, or whatever it is, to parade around that place like he owns it. Still.

I doubt this story is true.

Rick would NEVER take that job away from Rodney Terry. And anyone with half a brain knows that.

It would not shock me if they called Rick just to ask questions in regards to Terry. And I’m sure Rick said they should hire him (and they ultimately will)

The Brad Stevens part is the other thing that makes me think this is made up. Brad Stevens is the GM of the Boston Celtics. Do I need to elaborate more than that?
Is this guy the Richard G West of the Texas program?

I choose to think it would’ve been Steve Forbes. That helps his legacy somewhat.
Possibly, but I doubt he would. Stephen Pearl more likely.
The argument that Barnes ALMOST left for UCLA is old, weak, and stale. UCLA is a blue blood and unlike at TN, their AD wasn’t a dumb ass. And they pursued him, he wasn’t shopping himself to them. Unlike a BB coach that flirted with Memphis State and an assistant FB coach that was playing footsie with Clemson.
i don’t even care if a coach wants to be here so the “if he doesn’t want to be here let him leave” thing falls on deaf ears. All I care about is the job a coach does. It’s good for them to do a good job, good for their families. There have been plenty of jobs I didn’t want to be at, but ai did my best. If someone doesn’t want to be here, it may even motivate them more. All I care about is results. So Barnes would have gone to UCLA had they paid the buyout. I’m sick of fans whining about it. He went back to work , had a rough 2019-2020 season, but has put together 3 nice seasons since then.

Tom Izzo for Jud Heathcoate worked out ok. I don’t think that succession plan was ever formally announced tho. But Izzo coached under him for 9 seasons and named Associate HC three seasons before taking the helm.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Possibly, but I doubt he would. Stephen Pearl more likely.
I don’t think he was tight enough with Bruce to make that big a leap of faith. He was influential in many ETSU moves and they hired Forbes, so it’s more logical he’d use those dominoes.

Tom Izzo for Jud Heathcoate worked out ok. I don’t think that succession plan was ever formally announced tho. But Izzo coached under him for 9 seasons and named Associate HC three seasons before taking the helm.

I totally forgot that.

I don’t think he was tight enough with Bruce to make that big a leap of faith. He was influential in many ETSU moves and they hired Forbes, so it’s more logical he’d use those dominoes.

Stephen Pearl is one to keep an eye on. Might be ready for a top HC job when Barnes retires.

At some point, a sane person will have enough money and they'll consider quality of life. Can't imagine any professional coach choosing to make a move to the college game now that we have the NIL and such an insane recruiting schedule. No way Stevens would make such a move even for twice the money. I know I wouldn't.

If someone offered you $10 million to leave the nasty New England weather and Boston traffic, to go to Austin, you would be gone in a flash. I will be your Assistant for $5M.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
If someone offered you $10 million to leave the nasty New England weather and Boston traffic, to go to Austin, you would be gone in a flash. I will be your Assistant for $5M.
He’s an Indiana native. Doubt escaping the weather his driver navigates is much of a factor. And Austin traffic is epically stupid.

I’m guessing that he is doing quite well in that position with the Celtics. That said, it was pretty clear he left college because he didn’t want to recruit anymore. Gary Parrish said he loved Butler, but it was so hard for him to recruit there. You still have to grind at a blue blood, too. I guess you can never say never, but the longer he is out of college, the more likely that he will never come back. He can pretty much name his job in many other places.

VN Store

Back